Newbie Tips: Boss 302 engine/tran mods?

darreng505

You have another option now with ST3. Close to AI rules with some diferences. I didnt see if your car is caged and gutted yet, either class you choose, that has to happen.

Quit wasting time in HPDE if you want to race. Start running TT as soon as you can so you can measure your skills against more serious drivers & cars. Then when you get a racing licence, I would recommend doing a few rental drives before commiting to a $$$$$ build based on your (only?) street car.

Suggested rentals (all widely availible):

Spec Miata

SRF (SCCA)

Formula Enterprise (SCCA)

Then if you are still fixed on a high power tin top, try to find a AI, ST, AIX car to rent before getting fully commited to them.

Rushing up the driver development ladder before you can handle the car, manage traffic, see flags, etc is a recipie for not passing your TT checkride and/or not passing your race school in the best of cases. Some other clubs don't get this and rush people through - it works out for some drivers, and not so well for others. In any case I wouldn't recommend it.

Spend your time in HPDE to hone car control, awareness, etc. Sure, don't stay there forever... but you should be able to handle your car stepping out without even thinking through it before you're in a situation where you're 2" off the car beside you and it steps out and oh btw there's a yellow flag up ahead too that you didn't see because you were freaking out trying not to wreck.

NASA's HPDE is there specifically to hone those kinds of skills in an enviornment with less risk than a TT session or a Race. If your instructor(s) aren't helping with that, remind them of the goals you have (ie I want to be a decent racer, so what should I be working on..?) and go from there. There are some other clubs that have DEs that are not nearly as focused, but...

Rushing up the driver development ladder before you can handle the car, manage traffic, see flags, etc is a recipie for not passing your TT checkride and/or not passing your race school in the best of cases. Some other clubs don't get this and rush people through - it works out for some drivers, and not so well for others. In any case I wouldn't recommend it.

Right but this guy seems to plan to stay in HPDE for 3 seasons, then jump directly into wheel to wheel racing with a 1000hp car. Which sounds like a recipe for disaster.

maybe there is something wrong me, but 900hp is sprint cup nascar hp and those guys have trouble hooking it up to the ground. so, i dont understand why anyone of us, amatuer for fun racers, would want that kind of horsepower. particularly when it also translates to racing by yourself.

Newbie -

I usually don't chime in on these forums but this topic got my attention. I have raced in both AI and AIX for over ten years and I own both types of cars, my AI car, coincidentally, is a 2012 BOSS 302 S. My AIX car is a 2005 Mustang which makes north of 800 HP and is very competitive. When an AIX car is well sorted and has a stout, reliable power plant, there isn't much that compares ... big speed, big sounds and big thrills ... but it doesn't come easy and it CERTAINLY doesn't come from just taking a new BOSS, tossing an underdeveloped twin turbo package on it and hitting the track.

A truly competitive and reliable AIX car takes a lot of R&D and a lot of seat time to perfect. The series is constantly evolving as well, over the last few years we have seen the emergence of specific turbocharged power plants and lots of smarter, stronger and more efficient suspension components from industry leaders like Paul's Automotive, Agent 47 and a few others. If you ask any of the front running guys in AIX they will certainly tell you that they have spent years perfecting their race cars and skill set. It takes a serious level of professionalism, experience and financial horsepower to stay in the AIX mainstream at a competitive level. If you attempt to " fast track " an AIX car and program without the proper know how, advice and parts from the seasoned drivers and teams who have a proven track record you will be making a big mistake.

My advice to you is to drive the wheels off that BOSS in AI for a few years and get some valuable seat time in a crowd. American Iron is a very competitive series and you will learn quite a bit. NASA has always been that way, the people you will meet and the help and advice you will receive at the track is extremely valuable, it's something you should definitely take advantage of. If after a few years you still feel the need for more power then you can make the leap into AIX at that time ... at least by then will you will have a little more experience behind the wheel and also created some valuable relationships to help make that transition more efficiently and effectively.

Remember, racing in ANY of these series is a process, when you take your time and do it right you will maximize your track time and success but most of all your enjoyment. Good Luck.

Elliott Fisher

• 3 weeks later...

Another thing, don't use a "set" time of three HPDE seasons to move up. Your progress will depend on how good you skills are. Just because you are passing everyone in the DE field with a 444 hp Boss doesn't mean jack. I pass everyone too, but I don't measure skill on people I pass. That is irrevelant to me, as I focus on hiting the corners correctly and getting faster. Focus on that and your skill will get a whole lot better. But good luck and making your Boss a racecar will be VERY expensive because as Griswold said, its all the parts that cost you and you have spend money. To be competitive in the "real deal" AIX world of 1000 hp monsters with a ton of R&D in their cars. Plus the fact you get to learn a whole lot of throttle control

I'd suggest American Iron or ST2. The first thing you need to do is ditch the stock trans and do the Boss R trans. I have that entire kit packaged up with the crossmember, mount, and all the other little stuff you need to install it. There are a few other things you need to do for reliability also. Then you need good dampers, real brakes, a roll cage and the aero parts. I've got a good recipe for a Boss car for AI and ST2. It's not exotic, just well developed. However, the best advice I can give you (and others) is to invest in data acquisition (I prefer AIM for it's capabilities and cost). Then, invest a a good driving instructor that can not only teach you lines, but how to disect a track analytically and then also help you understand what you are feeling in the car and how to dial it in to do what you want it to do. These guys in AI are all very good drivers so you better be ready.