Sticky tire vs wide tire

Grintch

I have a WRX STI that was prepared to the Solo STU rules. I am thinking of throwing some R coumpounds on it and doing a few TT's on it in TTB. I am right on the points limit for TTB so depending on what tire compount/type I run, I will need to give up some width. So the question becomes where to speend the points, stickier tire or wider tire?

My current plan is to run Nitto NT01's (+7) in a 245mm width (-4, STU limits me to 245mm anyway so my wheels & clearance is already set up for that width). But if I gave up just another 10mm in tire width (e.g. run a 235 at -7), I could run Hoosier R6's (+10). Which combination would be faster?

Wheel width is a factor to consider

also Hoosiers and r-comps in general tend to be physically much wider than their printed size indicates so it may be smart to go in the 225-235 range if your clearances are setup for 245 streets. Plus you will likely generate a little more roll which may make those clearances even tighter

If it were me, I'd do the 235 Hoosiers probably

All well and good, but Hoosier doesn't make a 235.

The 225 A6 would be you're next choice. Even the 225 R6 is probably faster that the 245 NT01, but that's just my opinion as I've never used the Nitto.

With a 2007 or earlier STI my opinion on the peak setup in TTB is this:

FI +5

Hoosier R6 +10

245's (265 base) -4

Exhaust +2

Cats +1

non-oem struts +3 (non-inverted AST 4100's)

non-oem springs +2

That's the only configuration that seems to be close to the front runners and requires 100+ octane and an aggressive tune. If you want a more candid opinion send me a PM.

The 225 A6 would be you're next choice. Even the 225 R6 is probably faster that the 245 NT01, but that's just my opinion as I've never used the Nitto.

FI +5

Hoosier R6 +10

245's (265 base) -4

Exhaust +2

Cats +1

non-oem springs +2

That's the only configuration that seems to be close to the front runners and requires 100+ octane and an aggressive tune. If you want a more candid opinion send me a PM.

Agreed. That was my basic setup for TTB in my Evo - and I've still got records out there to prove it was fast. I was tuned on 93 octane back then; but I'm sure technology is better now - plus reflashes are 0 pts mods where they used to be 10pts!

technically its +0 for NA, and the built-in +5 for FI...

Sounds like a pretty smart mod list, esp if you can't get good enough reclass #s back to make it worth freeing up +5 pts from the FI reflash by going that route.

I agree. I have run NT 01's in a 315 and they are not as sticky as an A6 in a 245.

compound trumps width

Every single day, every single time. For Time Trials.

FI +5

Hoosier R6 +10

245's (265 base) -4

Exhaust +2

Cats +1

non-oem springs +2

Thanks for the feedback. My problem is I have the KW Variant 3 coilovers, which because they have a piggy back resivour are +7. Plus anti-roll bars, & intake (again, based on STU rules).

The +5 for forced induction "not classed by TT director based on dyno results" I thought went away as soon as you provided dyno results?

FI +5

Hoosier R6 +10

245's (265 base) -4

Exhaust +2

Cats +1

non-oem springs +2

Thanks for the feedback. My problem is I have the KW Variant 3 coilovers, which because they have a piggy back resivour are +7. Plus anti-roll bars, & intake (again, based on STU rules).

The +5 for forced induction "not classed by TT director based on dyno results" I thought went away as soon as you provided dyno results?

Nope.

Nope.

Then I suggest getting rid of the confusing "not classed by dyno results" statement and just make it +5 for forced induction if that is what it really is.

Nope.

Not true. I quote from the rulebook:

FORCED INDUCTION VEHICLES will add an additional five (+5) points to the total

number of modification points to determine the final competition class. (Forced induction

vehicles that have been classed or re-classed by the National TT Director based on Dyno

testing are exempt from this additional five (+5) point assessment.)

Nope.

Not true. I quote from the rulebook:

FORCED INDUCTION VEHICLES will add an additional five (+5) points to the total

number of modification points to determine the final competition class. (Forced induction

vehicles that have been classed or re-classed by the National TT Director based on Dyno

testing are exempt from this additional five (+5) point assessment.)

Dyno reclass - not dyno sheet....

It is not obscure to point out handing me a dyno sheet, properly done to the NASA standard of course, does not remove the +5 for FI. I wish since my Cruze ECO could use it.

But note, Ken says I was right....

It is not obscure to point out handing me a dyno sheet, properly done to the NASA standard of course, does not remove the +5 for FI. I wish since my Cruze ECO could use it.

But note, Ken says I was right....

And he used really big Texas words, too!

If you're just submitting a dyno sheet to confirm that you are not illegal for the class in which your car belongs according to its base class in the rules list plus any bump from points mods, then your car is not being classed by the national director based on that dyno test - and you do not get to skip the 5 point penalty.

That should be obvious. Otherwise everyone with forced induction would get dyno classed and get their 5 points back...

It seems like there are very few instances where dyno classing would be beneficial just for the 5 points anyway. My car, for example, could be dyno reclassed from TTE+5 to TTD+0. I'd gain the 5 points back and another 1 point in tire width from the class change, but lose the 15 points it takes to get from TTE to TTD. Instead of being able to add 34 points and stay TTD, I'd only get 20 (counting -1 for tire size change). It's a net loss of 14 points == bad idea.

Depends on the power & weight you'd get to run at if it makes sense or not. If your car takes alot of point mods to add power, you may save. Worth investigating...

It's also the only way to effectively get points back if you're unable/unwilling to get down to your car's listed weight

Depends on the power & weight you'd get to run at if it makes sense or not. If your car takes alot of point mods to add power, you may save. Worth investigating...

It's also the only way to effectively get points back if you're unable/unwilling to get down to your car's listed weight

Exactly.

On top of that, you said you only get +1 point differential for tire size. True to the fact that base size difference is 1 point BUT if you're running a 225, instead of getting a 1 point credit you get a 4 point credit. That would be a 3 point swing.

Are the KW V3 inverted? If so you take the +1 for inverted struts-- even if the OEM strut was inverted you still take the points. The online photos I found looked like they are non-inverted but models vary. I had the Ohlins Flags (piggyback and inverted) and non-oem swaybars which I sold and switched to AST4200's with oem sways just to get 7 points back that were not cutting lap times.

Don't bother with the reclass unless you've done too much work on your engine or a turbo swap (required reclass). A TTB base reclass for the STI is 255hp at 3260lbs, by comparison the S2000 for the same TTB reclass is 230hp at 2610lbs. If you stick with the +5 FI that can give you maybe 320hp in an Evo and maybe 300hp in an STI which might get you close to the S2000 considering the 650lb weight differential-- maybe close enough to see his bumper on grid.

Hehe, I feel for you Randy. That reclass on your car leaves a bit to be desired. I guess it comes down to what the benefit of awd is in lap time, and more to the point how Greg classes AWD cars differently than RWD and FWD cars.

If you can't beat 'em, join em!! Hint hint...my car is for sale

Are the KW V3 inverted? If so you take the +1 for inverted struts-- even if the OEM strut was inverted you still take the points. The online photos I found looked like they are non-inverted but models vary. I had the Ohlins Flags (piggyback and inverted) and non-oem swaybars which I sold and switched to AST4200's with oem sways just to get 7 points back that were not cutting lap times.

Don't bother with the reclass unless you've done too much work on your engine or a turbo swap (required reclass). A TTB base reclass for the STI is 255hp at 3260lbs, by comparison the S2000 for the same TTB reclass is 230hp at 2610lbs. If you stick with the +5 FI that can give you maybe 320hp in an Evo and maybe 300hp in an STI which might get you close to the S2000 considering the 650lb weight differential-- maybe close enough to see his bumper on grid.

The KW's are not inverted, just double adjustable with piggy back reservoirs.

Well if I have to take the +5 points I have major point problems, like having to run a 205mm R6 or street tires. The car is street driven and stripping is not allowed in STU, which means I am 200+ lbs over weight. I estimate the current power to weight at 11.84, which I guess means I can't get re-classed down into TTC (12:1 limit), it it possible to stay in the same base class but just lose some points with the dyno re-class? Well that 12:1 TTC limit would be an adjusted 11.15, is that enough to get me re-classed as a TTC**?

you can ask for some options of whp, weight, and base class combos if you don't go crazy and hold 2 of the 3 variables constant.

Since you seem to want to not de-mod the car I'd "back into" an acceptable base class so that when you take your modification package and intended tires into account you'd end up where you want to be in competition and then decide if you'd rather juggle weight, or juggle whp, and go from there when looking for an option or a few options from Greg

HTH!