RULE PROPOSAL: Tire size cap

JSG1901

I'd leave the rule as is.....since defining acceptable tire sizes is inherently unfair to cars that COME with staggered tires...like ALL 911's..... Not to mention an advantage to AWD cars..... Its also difficult to mid engined cars that also run staggered tires...

Fixed tire sizes really helps front engine/rear drive cars with square tire setups....

I would be more interested in a opening up the tire type rule. Guys should be able to run non DOT slicks without so much of a penalty...or no penalty at all.

-Ryan

Bigger isn't always better. You can have too much tire and potentially not get the temperature you need in them. Not saying i'm in favor of limiting tire sizes. Just pointing out why some might experience a fall-off in performance when going wider.

That said, i'd be opposed. 245 on a GTS3 911 doesn't even reach the OE tire size of a 993. So a 993 is instantly penalized? Being it's a heavier car than the earlier 911s, that 245 is putting it a disadvantage.

Also, a certain size limit may force many to switch wheels at a substantial cost. I know in my case my 17x10 rear wheels would be unfit for a 245 tire, so i'd have to take the penalty or rebuild them (luckily they're 3 pc. wheels) to fit a 245.

Leave tire size open. If tire wars are such a concern, mandate a spec tire ........... yeah right. What a firestorm that'd create! Even then, the people that can afford new tires all the time have the upper hand.

A lot of people have their cars dialed in to the right tire size and this rule change would throw all of that into a tailspin and require significant setup change. Think about it, a "real" racecar build from the ground up starts with your wheel & tire size and you build around it from there. Change the rules about tires and there goes the foundation.

Very well put here. I like the comment about the stock size tire for the 1997 911 being out of compliance at the start.

If you chose to run a car that only very narrow tires will fit under and you feel that is a disadvantage, then you should have chosen a different car.

No.

Thanks

Ed

• Members

opposed. Mainly because in GTS you are signing up for an open ruleset.

Secondary reason is because of the "scientific" points raised earlier.

I am still in the midst of analyzing whether my switch to larger wheels and tires was positive or not. However, for a number of reasons, I chose to follow my instincts. I like that the option was available. Limiting tire size, wheel size aches of Spec, not GTS.

I vote NO

Leave the rule alone. I run in GTS3 and also in PCA SP996. I use the tires that are spec tires for PCA. 245/18 and 285/18 BFG R1's... I do not want to change tires.

Absolutely not.

How would you control the difference in tire widths between manufacturers for the same "size" tire?...

I feel the same way. 100% against this rule.

I can actually make your dream of a 70 Plymouth Superbird in Petty Blue show up at the track if that is your wish. Actually, I can get at least two.

I can actually make your dream of a 70 Plymouth Superbird in Petty Blue show up at the track if that is your wish. Actually, I can get at least two.

AIC??? "American Iron Classic"

No

For GTS1 944's - this would actually be 205's would be 20mm narrower than from the factory - I believe that any E30s that wanted to run would have the same issue.

Similar for GTS2 944's.

Also - it looks liek you would have to pitch all your 17" wheels regardless of width as I no one makes a 205 in 17" Agree with previous comment on $5-10k of "re-wheeling" to comply if you want to have the max HP/WT