RULE PROPOSAL: Broaden definition of adjustable engine mgmt

JSG1901

Current rule

All adjustable engine management systems must be declared on the Dynamometer Certification Form. Failure to do so will result in disqualification of all timed sessions for the weekend. Adjustable engine management systems include but are not limited to systems such as MoTec and MegaSquirt that can upload and download from external computers, potentiometers, diodes, and switches (to include remote RF switches) that can alter signals from engine sensors and other factory installed devices such as traction control that change engine performance when non-drive wheels are stationary.

Proposed change

Clarification of rule. Specifically to broaden the rule to include boost controllers and other similar devices. Also clarification on the dyno form of what needs to be declared.

Reason

The current wording of the rule does not adequately cover the spirit of the rule. Making additions and changes to the wording would help alleviate confusion.

Proposed wording

All adjustable engine management systems and settings must be declared on the Dynamometer Certification Form. Failure to do so will result in disqualification of all timed sessions for the weekend. Adjustable engine management systems include but are not limited to systems such as boost controllers, MoTec and MegaSquirt that can upload and download from external computers, potentiometers, diodes, solenoids and switches (to include remote RF switches) that can alter signals from engine sensors and other factory and aftermarket installed devices such as but not limited to traction control that change engine performance when drive and/or non-drive wheels are stationary and/or moving.

I agree with this rule and would suggest that our dyno certification form be adjusted to account of this (like we had at Nationals this year).

You added just "and settings" and that makes it more clear? I'd say something like anything that is not stock the affects engine performance has to be declared.

I have no problem with this, and would even take it farther. How about having to attach a spec sheet to the dyno form that fully describes the capabilities of the system, and how it can be adjusted.

A system brochure could fit the bill.

I have no problem with this, and would even take it farther. How about having to attach a spec sheet to the dyno form that fully describes the capabilities of the system, and how it can be adjusted.

A system brochure could fit the bill.

I submitted this change being the only (aftermarket) turbo GTS car in the region. That might be a bit much, although if the rule is changed to require a spec sheet that fully describes the capabilities of the system and how it can be adjusted I will happily attach that to my dyno . . . it'll be around 50 pages detailing how to operate 3 buttons though

I guess I am confused about what really would be changing here.

Maybe the dyno sheet should just say type of engine management and modifications. Because you can modify anything.

I have a Porsche Cup car and although Porsche Motorsport has done everything they can to prevent anyone from modifying the programming I hear that there are like 3 people out there who can do it for you.

Thanks

Ed

• Members

The Dyno Declaration Form used at Nationals in addition to the certification form can be found at GTS website.

Michael G. NE GTS Dir.

Thanks for clarifying. Wasn't sure if there was a different form used specifically at Nationals.

No issues here with the dyno & declaration forms as currently stated on the GTS website

So then why a "rule change"? How about "Here, use this form"?

+1, we don't need a rule change. Just add it to the dyno form that we turn in every year. Some will need to turn it in separately as they may not have to re dyno until later in the racing year.

-Scott B.

So then why a "rule change"? How about "Here, use this form"?

+1, we don't need a rule change. Just add it to the dyno form that we turn in every year. Some will need to turn it in separately as they may not have to re dyno until later in the racing year.

Agree

It seems pretty clear to me that the overall consensus on this is to combine the existing Dyno Certification form with the declaration form we added at this year's Nationals and be done with it. Makes sense to me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • National Staff

FYI, we are going to add this to the TT, PT, and ST Rules. You might want to consider it for GTS.

Any hardware that allows a competitor to wirelessly connect to the ECU at any time during competition or post-competition impound is strictly prohibited, regardless of whether such hardware is external or internal to the ECU.

I agree with the wireless amendment to the declaration form. On another subject, weren't all these rule change discussions supposed to be closed Nov 25th ? As the changes or Non changes should be announced in the next week!!!

-Scott B.