RULE PROPOSAL: Require FIA fuel cells

JSG1901

I vote no as a 944 competitor. I have for years kept my eyes open for a cell that would work for this chassis. I have seen them mounted atop rear platform, but that is an example of doing something to meet a rule, as this location would not be safe and of course, would raise the center of gravity unrealistically. Kokeln had a 22 gal pancake tank and Broadfoot had a design, both in the $3-4000+ dollar range, and I believe, both NLA.

I feel that this knee jerk reaction to nats. however, I do feel that something should be done to decrease the risk of this happening again. from what I understand the 944 from nats was using a steel tank, (don’t quote me on that) those tanks are known for rupturing very easily. new updated tanks are plastic and are still in a vulnerable location however are more malleable allowing them to bend instead of cracking. The costs of properly fitting a fuel cell to a car can be very expensive and would most likely take out a few competitors due to the increase in cost. My vote is no.

if you guys get this added to the CCR and pushed down onto every NASA racer....

What might be a better actual solution to the problem with minimal-to-zero unintended consequences would be to promote more of a safety-minded culture and encourage people to take a step back and seriously analyize what risks their car has and what might be easily done to mitigate or eliminate them. For instance, if most 944s have gas tanks prone to rupture Ford Pinto style when rear-ended hard enough, perhaps there is a better way to add extra bracing to the cage, body, etc to protect that area more than what they're doing currently such that they end up with a well protected contianer of fuel no matter if it's an aftermarket fuel cell or the stock tank.

I'd hate to see a fuel cell requirement pushed down to everybody. Attendance declining would happen big time, not to mention for me personally there isn't much if any of a good way to install a fuel cell such that it's *safer* than the stock tank in the center tunnel of my car. Not 100% on how alot of Porsche tanks are setup, but I could see some or all of those models ending up less safe with a fuel cell as compared to stock as well. On and on for other cars too...

Since the 944 is being thrown under the bus here, a couple of things

The 944 involved had fiberglass bummers replacing the rather massive aluminum one, The rear bulkhead stayed intact, keeping, fuel, and flames out of the driver area. Installing a fuel cell in a 944 often means compromising this floor/bulkhead, which may result in a more vulnerable situation. Fuel cells aren't explosion proof either - this car had a fuel cell: