2013 PT/TT Tire Points Decisions-- 11-7-12

Greg G.

• National Staff

After many months of research, discussions, debates, and input from our competitors and Directors, we have come to some final decisions regarding tire Modification Points for the 2013 season.

1) All current tire point assessments, whether listed in the rules or as Technical Bulletins will remain unchanged for 2013.

2) The new Toyo Proxes RR and Hankook Ventus TD will be listed in a new +9 point category.

3) The consideration to lower the point assessments for the current +2, +7, and +10 point tires was ultimately rejected due to the high likelihood of many unforeseen/unpredictable outcomes in classes that have close competition already.

4) The consideration to increase the point assessments for the current "Autocross-type R-compound tires" that are in the +13 and +15 point categories currently has been tabled for now, and still remains under consideration for the 2014 Rules. NASA will make an effort to announce any increase in these assessments at least 6 months prior to the start of the 2014 season.

5) There is one outstanding tire issue that will be resolved this weekend. NASA will be doing its own testing on 275 size tires this coming weekend. Specifically, NASA is looking to determine if the BFG R1 and R1S in the 275 sizes needs to be considered "larger than 275mm" for the purposes of calculations of the Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio for ST, TT, and PT. We will be doing head-to-head comparisons between various 275 size tires looking at both actual size and on-track performance. However, this testing will not effect the POINTS ASSESSMENT of these tires. For PT and TTB-TTF, the size listed on the side of the tire will be used for the Section A. tire size points assessment regardless of the outcome of this testing. It is simply to see whether or not these tires are eligible for the +0.4 Modification Factor in calculating the Adjusted Wt/Hp Ratio.

We are still working on other more minor issues with the PT and TT Rules, and we do not have an anticipated release date yet. There are a few base class changes likely (as usual), but no major changes of our most common vehicles.

Just saying if they are looking at the 275 why wouldn't they look at the 245?

If they are trying to close "loopholes" why not do them all at once. No more "one at a time" - look at all of the BFG tires. NASA opened this can of worms when they started with the 255 Hoosier - I'm just looking at all of the "tiers" in ST/TT - 275's are .4 ande 245's are .8

If the 275 BFG R1S (at 10.8") has an advantage over other 275's say the A6 (at 10.3") - quick math .5" differance

then

The 245 BFG R1S (at 10.0") has an even larger advantage over the A6 (9.3") - at a .7" differance

BTW the BFG R1S 235-40/17 is still at 9.6.........while we're talking about width.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • National Staff

BFG 245's will only get a +0.4 Mod Factor instead of +0.8

BFG 275's will get no Mod Factor instead of +0.4.

PT Rules will be posted after this weekend.

Greg,

Do you mind sharing the data that brought you to this decision? Was it static tread width measurements on a spreadsheet, back to back testing with same size hoosiers, or based off of tires that made the championships podium? Besides spec z there were only 2 BFG cars that made the podium that I know of. BFG had the best contingency and this just killed it for many people. I would appreciate a reason why.

Thanks

I still don't get the BFG tire ruling +13 and +15. Cause they aren't all wider than their Hoosier counterparts, at least based off tirerack specs. Are they that much faster....or is this point hit being applied across the board because of a couple outliers? For the most part, it's only the big diameter tires that have a width discrepancy, not the small ones. Sucks for those of us that want to run BFGs that are the exact same tread width as identically labeled hoosiers....

Tirerack data:

bfgvshoosier.png

Greg,

Do you mind sharing the data that brought you to this decision? Was it static tread width measurements on a spreadsheet, back to back testing with same size hoosiers, or based off of tires that made the championships podium? Besides spec z there were only 2 BFG cars that made the podium that I know of. BFG had the best contingency and this just killed it for many people. I would appreciate a reason why.

Thanks

You can run the BFG R1-S 265/35-18 (10.6") and take the .4 it's still wider than the Hoosier 275 (10.3). I think that it still gives the BFG guys a good option(s) against the Hoosiers, both the 265 and 235 BFG's are still wider than the 275 and 245 Hoosiers. So it's not like people who want to run BFG's are out of options those other sizes are still on the table for you.