ST3/TT3 OEM vehicle .5 Aero Mod penalty list needed

masitr

According to the new 2013 ST3/TT3 Rules some OEM aero cars are subject to the .5 aero penalty. Is there an official list that can be posted. Looking at manufacturer downforce numbers I have come up with the following short list that look like they will be subject to this rule.

- S2000 CR

- Corvette ZR1 / Z06 w/ CFZ Aero Package

- Porsche GT3 / GT3RS

- Lotus Exige

- C63 AMG Black

- M3 GTS

- Most Modern Ferrari's

- Mustang Boss 302 Leguna Seca

Edited by Guest

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• masitr

• robbodleimages

• jason

• kbrew8991

According to the new 2013 ST3/TT3 Rules some OEM aero cars are subject to the .5 aero penalty. Is there an official list that can be posted. Looking at manufacturer downforce numbers I have come up with the following short list that look like they will be subject to this rule.

- S2000 CR

- Corvette ZR1 / Z06 w/ CFZ Aero Package

- Porsche GT3 / GT3RS

- Lotus Exige

- C63 AMG Black

- M3 GTS

- Most Modern Ferrari's

- Mustang Boss 302 Leguna Seca

The Corvette Z06 and ZR1 are being assessed the .5 penalty????

d.) ST3 only The addition of non-OEM aerodynamic aides or modification of OEM

body lines (unless specifically stated otherwise in these rules), will be assessed a

Modification Factor to the “Adjusted Weight/Power Ratio”. In this case, non-OEM is

defined as any part that does not come from the vehicle manufacturer either as a

standard feature, a factory option, or on a factory optional trim model/package of that

generation of the street-legal (in the U.S.A.) version of the vehicle.

So based on that I believe your list is not correct.

Edited by Guest

Where are you even seeing THAT list as being dinged. I'm not seeing it. The way things are written currently if it was offered from the OEM for street use, it counts as non-aero. I searched all 15 pages of the ruleset and didn't find any references to those cars.

Where are you even seeing THAT list as being dinged. I'm not seeing it. The way things are written currently if it was offered from the OEM for street use, it counts as non-aero. I searched all 15 pages of the rule set and didn't find any references to those cars.

I haven't seen it officially that is why I posted, but mention was made during the discussion that certain OEM down force cars would still receive the penalty also. Otherwise this class is going to turn into "Well you should have bought the right car then!" class.

Here is a link to the original discussion - Read Greg's first post

http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=66442

Edit - and the Corvette Mafia is still going to destroy everyone. Ah well.

lol

My guess is there will be an addendum or something similar to address this.....or not.

lol

My guess is there will be an addendum or something similar to address this.....or not.

"or not" is probably more realistic.

Pre-ruleset release discussions don't mean much once the ruleset is actually released. THIS is what matters now:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Super-Touring.pdf

Know it, live by it, prepare by it, and try to remember this is supposed to be fun.

SUR was fun before when other makes could still be built to be competitive. For 2013 the fun was taken out of it since they are now blatantly favoring certain cars and now almost forcing us to start with a platform if we want to be competitive.

SUR was fun before when other makes could still be built to be competitive. For 2013 the fun was taken out of it since they are now blatantly favoring certain cars and now almost forcing us to start with a platform if we want to be competitive.

who are they favoring? what's different than 2012 and before other than power to weight?

who are they favoring? what's different than 2012 and before other than power to weight?

The aero penalty.

I would but I can't make another 60 hp or take 200 lbs out of the car (or any combination) to be competitive it that class either. It would take a complete redesign of the car to do so. Basically being built and developed for ST/TTS over the last 5 years. The competitiveness of my car currently has be written out of the rules for 2013.

run TT2/ST2 then, doesn't apply there

The competitiveness of my car currently has be written out of the rules for 2013.

Why is it not competitive, because the aero guys can run aero for only .5 in lost power, or because you have a car with factory aero getting dinged?

The competitiveness of my car currently has be written out of the rules for 2013.

Why is it not competitive, because the aero guys can run aero for only .5 in lost power, or because you have a car with factory aero getting dinged?

The problem I have is the loop hole left open for OEM down force cars that don't receive the same penalty and by having an aero penalty in the first place caters to factory sports cars that are aerodynamically efficient. Thus not giving equal opportunity to other platforms to catch up aerodynamically.

The problem I have is the loop hole left open for OEM down force cars that don't receive the same penalty and by having an aero penalty in the first place caters to factory sports cars that are aerodynamically efficient. Thus not giving equal opportunity to other platforms to catch up aerodynamically.

But a Honda Civic was the fastest car in TTS at Nationals this year.

And the only way that was even possible was open aero rules in TTS then it was followed by 3 C5 corvettes. With OEM aero on both of those cars do you think that would have been possible?

Civic would be smart to take the minor 0.5 ratio hit to level the playing field.

Dude, no one has even hit the track with a new ST3/TT3 car yet, nevermind two of them at the same track at the same time to even see if that 0.5 difference is correct or not. Let's see how close it is before trying to get the whole system thrown out. Unless it's going to be replaced back with PTA/TTA, then I'm with you.

And the only way that was even possible was open aero rules in TTS then it was followed by 3 C5 corvettes. With OEM aero on both of those cars do you think that would have been possible?

I have no idea what it means, I just use it as justification for any argument now.