Water spray on radiator and intercooler

tar6day

I'm thinking spraying water on your radiator or intercooler is probably not going to go over very well with the cars behind you, I think they outlawed this along with the James Bond oil squirters out the back

Tar6day, Just poking fun, I actually do not remember ever reading anything in the ST Rules or GCR..125 pages that specifically prohibits a cooling spray on radiator/intercooler? It does not seem like a great idea for the potential for water to get on the track if the sprayer stuck on or something like that? The Euro semi truck series run water spray units on the front brakes, when they hit the brakes you'd see a huge blow off of steam, maybe the same would happen with the intercooler/radiator sprayer?

Like the early Evolution 8 models that had intercooler spray. They worked best with windshield washer fluid for better cooling over water. The spray was vaporized by the heat. No issue with water on the track....

from the TT/PT area I would suspect that the stance will likely be along these lines

15) Non-BTM or modified intercooler +4 (Intercooler sprayers are not permitted unless they

came on the OEM base trim model of the vehicle).

However, it isn't really addressed in the ST rules that I've been able to spot.

• 4 weeks later...

Could you carry enough water to make a temperature difference by spraying the radiator on a hot day? It would evaporate so quickly, I can't see it'd be worth the engineering effort or the weight penalty of carrying the water.

Could you carry enough water to make a temperature difference by spraying the radiator on a hot day? It would evaporate so quickly, I can't see it'd be worth the engineering effort or the weight penalty of carrying the water.

I heard if you drill holes in radiator it takes out the suspense. Is that true?

James Bond oil squirters out the back

Apparently oil squirtters are standard equipment on AI Mustangs.

It wouldn't be funny if it weren't true. Was it the June race this past year at RA? They finally threw the checker when the # of dead trackside stangs outnumbered the flatbeds/towtrucks

I know of one GD Mustang that spilled Exxon Valdese amounts of oil during the parade lap on the straight and in Turn 6 at Road Atlanta for the Saturday Thunder race. That was a f*=king mess.

I heard if you drill holes in radiator it takes out the suspense. Is that true?

Well, that one didn't go like I had it drawn up.

• National Staff

Sprayers are not mentioned in the ST Rules. However, they could fall under this:

From the start of qualifying through the end of post-race inspection, vehicles may not have any

adjustments or modifications made to systems that could alter chassis dynamometer readings by

changing horsepower levels (without the direct approval of the Race Director.)

From a practical standpoint, I would say that they are not permitted. They potentially increase HP levels

while on the track, with gains that will not be seen/replicated on Dyno testing (unless we test in a wind

tunnel, or use an industrial wind machine to get 100+ mph winds). If the entire premise of the series is that

we attempt to equalize cars using Dyno results, then it doesn't make much sense to allow a modification that

not everyone can use (intercooler sprayers), that can change HP levels and not show on the Dyno. "Ram air"

is not exactly the same thing, but is analogous, although most cars can use it. No, I don't want to argue

how the turbo cars can't use ram air, so they should be able to use sprayers instead.

From a rules perspective, it would seem that based on the above rule, they would not be legal as well.

If one were to Dyno the car w/o the sprayers (at full function with 100+ mph winds), but then use them

on the track, HP levels would be altered. This could be proven on the Dyno by testing w/o the sprayers,

and then getting the biggest fan available and test with the sprayers. If there was even a 1 whp difference

then this rule would be violated.

I know of one GD Mustang that spilled Exxon Valdese amounts of oil during the parade lap on the straight and in Turn 6 at Road Atlanta for the Saturday Thunder race. That was a f*=king mess.

i am still wondering why they went green after that. even if they felt like the choice was between cleaning up the oil or running the race, had they just ran one more lap under yellow, EVERYONE would have known the oil was there and avoided it. instead of wrecking you and nearly half the rest of the field.

i am still wondering why they went green after that. even if they felt like the choice was between cleaning up the oil or running the race, had they just ran one more lap under yellow, EVERYONE would have known the oil was there and avoided it. instead of wrecking you and nearly half the rest of the field.

Yep!

I wouldn't risk it, the only time we've ever sprayed the cooler is during dyno days because it's like 150 deg in the dyno room and it really doesn't make a bit of difference. Like others said it won't go where you want it, it'll evaporate too quick in the airflow, and it's just extra weight. I'd put the extra weight towards an uber efficient cooler.