949Racing

What's it worth to you to drive COTA?

Most you would spend to drive COTA?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Most you would spend to drive COTA?

• $400
    • $600
    • $800
    • $1000
    • $1200
    • $1500

949Racing

Just throwing a wrench into the works and seeing what noises it makes..

The hypothetical question is one HPDE, TT or race entry for the weekend. No supersize. To make it work I think NASA would have to pack the track and cut out any low margin products like supersize or enduros.

I for one, would be willing to tow from California and pay nationals style entries to get the chance to drive on this great new track just once.

SCCA has an event scheduled. NASA and the Texas contingent should be able to pull it off.

kbrew8991

I voted what it's costing me to run with a different club. Only real reason I'm running with them is that one event, so I feel that's an accurate & reliable # for me at least. And that assuming full track, and also assuming nothing crazy like being way overcharged $$$ if I spin and leave black marks on those pretty runoff areas, or eat a couple pieces of armco, or tear up a little grass, or...

Also there's a little difference between getting people to make a couple clicks, and actually open their wallet for an entry fee & to point thier tow vehicle towards Austin on a specific date

ILIKETODRIVE

Considering cost of ticket/parking/hotel/rental/gas I spent to watch other people drive COTA...

hustler

$400 for the little track, $600 for the big track, maybe more.

949Racing

Also there's a little difference between getting people to make a couple clicks, and actually open their wallet for an entry fee & to point thier tow vehicle towards Austin on a specific date

You mean a forum poll is not a legally binding contract? I'm devastated.

The cost involved only start with the entry fee. Parking, facility damage, hotels in the area. It's going to be expensive no matter what.

I chimed in as we had a wave of forum chatter here in California about wanting to make the trip. I know each one of the guys talking about it and know they are both very serious about it and can write the checks. A few months back I sent two employees and a car to Hallet then flew out myself, just for a demo event. COTA is not only closer, its 10x the track, might earn contingency money and has Austin next door. We all run with the other club running an event at COTA but we're hoping NASA is able to put something together instead.

kbrew8991

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82556&start=10

2nd post

Maybe 2014 assuming other groups have semi-successful events / little-to-no-horror stories, economics working out, scheduling, etc?

kbrew8991

It's a quote from the horse's mouth more or less. Kinda is what it is...

I'd love to be wrong and not have to drop several hundred in S.Club membership, medical exam, license fees, school-waiver fees, etc. to race there this year (2013). I'd esp love to make you give me a point by at the end of the esses Trey but since you don't have a race-legal car I'm not sure how to get you out there with me...

Edited by Guest

ILIKETODRIVE
Debbie Downer post.

debbie+downer.jpg

kbrew8991

This is one really cool thing about racing though - get to drive the same places as the pros (most of the time anyway). How many baseball fans do you know that have played a game at say, Fenway Park? Or football fans that have played a game at Solider Field? Basketball at MSG? Etc...

(Trying not to be too spolied here )

949Racing
This is one really cool thing about racing though - get to drive the same places as the pros (most of the time anyway). How many baseball fans do you know that have played a game at say, Fenway Park? Or football fans that have played a game at Solider Field? Basketball at MSG? Etc...

Personally, I'm not star struck. We have Laguna Seca and it's a relatively dull track. COTA looks like it will be more fun to race on than any track we have in California except maybe Sonoma. That the F1 gods recently anointed it is a bonus, but not the reason I want to race there.

hustler

Personally, I'm not star struck.

That's because you're a cyborg...and for this, I thank you. lol

949Racing

Yah, saw that. It serves the same purpose as my poll, albeit equally inconclusive. Even the racer that farts $100 bills is going to pass on a non-refundable entry for an event that might not happen. Dave is counting on that and raised the price just to make sure. Its another form of poll with the metric being page views I guess.

PoBoyR6

Only stick and ball sport I know of that is most comparable to racing is golf. Other than the obvious where an entire field competes over the course of an event, regular Joes can play the same courses the pros do. All it takes is $$$ and the confidence in your manhood that you may have to play from the front tees.

Now back on topic...IMHO we won't be running COTA until everyone stops asking when we'll be running COTA. Just be patient, let the market settle, let Dave work his magic as he has been doing for months now and it will sort itself out...or do one off events with other clubs if you are really that desperate. As Ken mentioned previously, its better to wait and do it right than bend ourselves over a barrel where not only are you paying way over the top just to be there but if you run off track and bend a blade of grass it may cost you several hundred dollars extra. I think you can tell from the spoof COTA 'event' Dave posted that it's not happening anytime soon but he's happy to take your $2500!

ILIKETODRIVE
I think you can tell from the spoof COTA 'event' Dave posted that it's not happening anytime soon but he's happy to take your $2500!

If this were a bet in Vegas, what would the odds be that someone actually signs up via that page? 10:1? 20:1? 100:1?

kbrew8991

sold out already - how much was it (and for how much/what kind of track time?)

21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR

$850 for 3 full days (Fri. - Sun.)

HPDE only

4 groups

35 cars per group

JP

heavychevy

Based on what MVP is charging for about 80 entrants for a 3 day seems like nasa could easily fill an event. Of course I know zero about the bottom lines. I know im willing to drive 15 hrs from atlanta for a TT there. Im in for the MVP event myself. COTA should have no problem selling out for at least a year or two imo. But some monetary risk involved for sure.

Mach1

I am also in on the MVP event, see you guys there.

Jason S.

Word on the street is that COTA is cancelling all track rentals. Executives say they are going in another direction? Could that direction be horse racing? Did MVP get cancelled?

heavychevy

I'm registered for MVP, no news yet.

robertcope

Word on the street is that COTA has canceled all events except for "major races". Guess we'll see what happens over the next few weeks.

robert

heavychevy

update:

MVP event CANCELLED!!!