Replica body panels

obzezzed350

I got an inquiry from a potential Spec Z racer for next year regarding replica body panels. He wants to put replica nismo parts on since they are 1/6 of the cost of the OEM. From my understanding of the rules, it says must be OEM, so I dont think this is allowed. I know you can interchange among different models and years,etc. If replicas are not allowed, does anyone think they should be allowed?

Joseph

if they're same shape, size, and weight where is the advantage?

Or if NISMO wants to help out some racers on the parts prices I'm sure they wouldn't mind that either

We don't know if they're the same and I don't really have time to investigate all of the replica parts on the market. NISMO does offer racer pricing on body parts.

• Members

I say allow aftermarket. The OEM parts have a CLEAR aero advantage and eventually when the series gets competitive enough everyone will be "required" to buy the ultra expensive OE parts.

• 3 months later...

Came across some used v3 nismo parts, likely due to salvage cars from water damage in the Northeast. (hurricane sandy) The parts are still pricey and I was wondering if the aero advantage versus the extra weight/drag was worth it. I noticed just the front bumper and splitter v3 on some spec Z's, maybe to help understeer at speed? Any thoughts?

A couple of us in NASA-SE installed OEM NISMO front bumper covers...Dayum they look good!

Not sure what / if any performance increase I got...but Dayum they look good!

Also should make it easier to install the front brake ducting...that is my next project.

I do plan to do a HR hood, and the rear bumper cover and wing as I can get them at decent pricing.

I know this stuff helps with performance, but it hasn't been a night & day deal for me so far.

but Dayum they look good!

Oh yes, Fans and Sponsers love the NISMO look!!!

What kinda pricing are you seeing?

• 2 weeks later...
A couple of us in NASA-SE installed OEM NISMO front bumper covers...Dayum they look good!

Also should make it easier to install the front brake ducting...that is my next project.

I do plan to do a HR hood, and the rear bumper cover and wing as I can get them at decent pricing.

I know this stuff helps with performance, but it hasn't been a night & day deal for me so far.

I found the V3 Front Bumper for 549.00 -- do you have an avenue for less?

Thanks

2008 nismo, $2000 for the entire rear clip, front has damage and isn't repairable. I started to bid on a complete car with undercarriage damage but it sold at $8900, too much for a car that is bent. The Nismo parts are hard to come by used...

I say allow aftermarket. The OEM parts have a CLEAR aero advantage and eventually when the series gets competitive enough everyone will be "required" to buy the ultra expensive OE parts.

There certainly needs to be a more cost effective alternative than dealer parts or the overpriced (and extremely rare) used parts - a good racer price from Nismo would be great but all my inquiries to the racer parts program have never seen a response (that's a whole different topic)...

It would be one thing if this was a "low risk" part but bumper covers? I can buy just about every other body part cheaper than the Nismo plastic bumper covers (ask me how I know )

I found the V3 Front Bumper for 549.00 -- do you have an avenue for less?

Thanks

Remember you then need to add the V3 DIFFUSER/underpanel, and it also has to be OEM, so add another $500. You can NOT buy a metal replica.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/190618618850?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

• 1 year later...

Can we revisit the topic.

These parts are way over priced and look very 90s in my opinion.

Nissan needs to drop the prices substantially for all drivers entering the class!

There certainly needs to be a more cost effective alternative than dealer parts or the overpriced (and extremely rare) used parts - a good racer price from Nismo would be great but all my inquiries to the racer parts program have never seen a response (that's a whole different topic)...

It would be one thing if this was a "low risk" part but bumper covers? I can buy just about every other body part cheaper than the Nismo plastic bumper covers (ask me how I know )

• Members
Can we revisit the topic.

These parts are way over priced and look very 90s in my opinion.

Nissan needs to drop the prices substantially for all drivers entering the class!

I agree, I think there should be heavy pressure from everyone who is involved with Spec Z to pressure Nissan Motorsports to change this rule. It just doesn't make sense to try allow such expensive body work in what is supposed to be a cheap series. It seems like everyone I have talked to is behind this idea.

My vote is for cheap homemade splitters, a modestly priced wing that will still be less than the NISMO wing and be WAY more effective, and the cars would be faster AND cheaper!

Just priced the complete body kitt from Nissan motorsports.

$5000, they don't keep it in stock, comes from Nissan.

Same price as what the Nissan dealerships buy it at!

These parts need to be painted.

Wow

Would like to hear comments!

The general silence leads me to believe that people are using replica body work.

Don't ask don't tell rule!!!!

I have raced against 19 Spec Z's across the country since 2012, none of which were out of compliance for their body panels. All of the cars from the 2014 Eastern States Championships were in compliance as well.

I believe the Spec Z community strives to have their cars in compliance to the rules; that is part of the spirit of the series. The new driver from MN was forthright about his front bumper not being legal- my guess is that he will update that when he can.

"Don't ask don't tell" rules are not tolerated in this class.

19 would soundlike a great number if we were in peru or Guatemala.

quote="dmdirks"]

The general silence leads me to believe that people are using replica body work.

Don't ask don't tell rule!!!!

I have raced against 19 Spec Z's across the country since 2012, none of which were out of compliance for their body panels. All of the cars from the 2014 Eastern States Championships were in compliance as well.

I believe the Spec Z community strives to have their cars in compliance to the rules; that is part of the spirit of the series. The new driver from MN was forthright about his front bumper not being legal- my guess is that he will update that when he can.

"Don't ask don't tell" rules are not tolerated in this class.

• 1 month later...

+1 I know Nissan wants to sell parts, but the prices are insane for the limited value. These car builds are turning out to be pretty expensive for a SPEC class, and honestly, not very competitive against other, what should be similar cars. Not to mention the weights on the cars are unrealistic IMHO, how do you get a 03 down to 3100lbs? without pulling the engine!?

• Members
+1 I know Nissan wants to sell parts, but the prices are insane for the limited value. These car builds are turning out to be pretty expensive for a SPEC class, and honestly, not very competitive against other, what should be similar cars. Not to mention the weights on the cars are unrealistic IMHO, how do you get a 03 down to 3100lbs? without pulling the engine!?

I totally agree with you on the body panels, however I don't see why people can't get the weight down on the cars.

My 03 in Spec Z trim weighed 3115 coming off track with me in it (180 lbs) AND over a 1/3 tank of gas. And that was WITH the speaker box still in place which weighs about 40 lbs, and can now be removed. This past weekend the car weighed 3040 coming of track with driver by removing the speaker box and door bars.

We need to get rid of the myth and common thought that you can't get these cars down to weight. You can, you just have to be thorough.

You are in the wrong topic!

I totally agree with you on the body panels, however I don't see why people can't get the weight down on the cars.

My 03 in Spec Z trim weighed 3115 coming off track with me in it (180 lbs) AND over a 1/3 tank of gas. And that was WITH the speaker box still in place which weighs about 40 lbs, and can now be removed. This past weekend the car weighed 3040 coming of track with driver by removing the speaker box and door bars.

We need to get rid of the myth and common thought that you can't get these cars down to weight. You can, you just have to be thorough.

We need to find an alternative for a front splitter and a rear wing!

I can't believe more people don't have a problem with this.