Need advice on getting into racing...

grunyon

Hey guys. Long story short, I am looking for a place I can do some spirited driving without getting arrested. Not only am I getting more mature but as I get older and able to buy more and more car, it has become increasingly apparent that I need to take it to the track.

I currently drive a 2008 BMW 135i with a mail order tune and meth injection and basic bolts on parts that's probably making a little over 400rwhp. I am unsure if I should race in this or get a cheap, designated track car. The 135i is technically my daily driver, but since I commute in a work vehicle it only gets driving maybe once every other week. My main issue is that I can't afford to break it so I don't feel like I should be racing it. Plus if I got bumped or slid into a wall or something I'd cry. It's just too nice of a car to beat on, plus tires are expensive for it and I don't really want to go burning through those. Plus I can admit that I'm probably not skilled enough to drive something this fast in anything more than a straight line (yet). I'm pretty sure I would rather have a track car that I could do whatever to and not care if I bump into a wall or if someone taps me and has a wheel size that's cheap to burn up tires in. However, I'd also hate to spend a bunch of money setting up a track car then discover I don't like it. What would you guys recommend?

Also, I'm not really interested in the competition per say. I just want to drive fast. I mean if I have to get out on a track with a bunch of people and race them in order to achieve that then that's great, but maybe there's like a "funsies" event that would be best for me? Where I could just get out there and go for it and not have to worry about much? Maybe try it in my 135i then build a car once I decide what I want?

Also, if I was to get a cheap track designated car it seems like a Miata or an e36 would probably be the best way to go. The Nissan Z cars and the RX7 and the e30's and such can also be found cheap but it seems like there is less following for them. I don't want to be in a class all by myself. Or perhaps maybe I do? haha...

OR perhaps NASA (which seems cooler) or SCCA isn't what's best for me and I should join BMWcca or something? Any help or advice would be appreciated!

• 2 months later...

Don't track it if you can't afford to see it hurt. Buy the specialty trackday insurance if necessary during HPDE days. I saw an M3 and a new Boss Mustang in the wall this year in HPDE in separate one-car events. Cars that have more grip and power tend to get rookie drivers in trouble at much higher speeds than low grip cars do. It is preferable to work your way up.

• 1 month later...

Long term, expecially in the more competitive events, you probably don't want a car you can't afford to walk away from. But short term, go ahead & run the car you have in HPDE and see if you want to get more serious later. Also, if you want to drive hard as much or more than driving fast, you can try autocross. Which is cheaper, safer, and more accessible than running on track.

If I were in your shoes:

-Do HPDE1 in the 135i

-If you enjoyed HPDE1 and would like to do HPDE2, start looking at an E36 you can purchase

-Do 1 weekend of HPDE2 in the 135i

-If you decide you enjoy the structure and environment of the NASA HPDE ladder, buy that E36 that you found

-Do the rest of HPDE2 and HPDE3 in the E36

-If you decide you like the E36 and want to do competition (TT or W2W), etc...

Before you know it you'll be neck deep in a wheel-to-wheel race car and have 40+ weekends of NASA experience like me!