HPDE-1 with an Automatic?

CYANiDE

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into getting some track time. I looked at SCCA here in the NE but they don't seem to offer much else than Auto-X (and the venue they use here is pretty bad, some outrageous cracks in the pavement and nasty dips - seen a few cars bottom out). So thought I'd look into getting some track time, where it might be more fun.

Car is well-maintained - it's just a heavy boat with a slushbox auto. Some minor suspension mods (F&R upgrades swaybars, coilovers, camber kits, strut bar) but other than that stock.

Would it be advisable to even go out onto the track? From what I've gathered I'd register for HPDE-1 and looking at just under $550 for NJMP Lightning if I register early.

I've instructed several students with automatics and have driven several over the years. Most recently my 2012 V6 Camaro.

Tips and tricks

Get it to down shift on corner entry - you don't say what car you have, most cars this is changing from D to 2 under braking.

Don't upshift until you are pointing the wheel almost straight

Watch water and oil temps (if you have a trans temp gage watch it as well)

If you are going to do this a bunch then get a trans cooler and plan on fluid changes at least once a year.

With that said, I like my Camaro with the paddle shifters. Wish it was a little more of a "stay in the gear I put you in" instead of the "I suggest you stay in this gear" that it is. It does great on twisty tracks (CMP and AMP), ok on Rovals (AMS), and crappy on tracks with long straights (Road Atl, VIR).

I've instructed several students with automatics and have driven several over the years. Most recently my 2012 V6 Camaro.

Tips and tricks

Get it to down shift on corner entry - you don't say what car you have, most cars this is changing from D to 2 under braking.

Don't upshift until you are pointing the wheel almost straight

Watch water and oil temps (if you have a trans temp gage watch it as well)

If you are going to do this a bunch then get a trans cooler and plan on fluid changes at least once a year.

With that said, I like my Camaro with the paddle shifters. Wish it was a little more of a "stay in the gear I put you in" instead of the "I suggest you stay in this gear" that it is. It does great on twisty tracks (CMP and AMP), ok on Rovals (AMS), and crappy on tracks with long straights (Road Atl, VIR).

It's a 2006 Accord with a inline 4, you can't really do much downshifting (no paddles).

I'm not sure how much I'd be doing it in the Accord, I think if I like it enough, I'd be looking for a cheap track car (maybe a civic).

Great advice from Jimbow.

You'll be fine in HPDE 1 and 2 in an auto. 1 & 2 are really focusing you on proper racing line, braking and throttle control and track awareness. None of those things really depend on shifting. The best part is you'll be having a ton of fun while you're learning how to really drive. I raced and wrenched on a lot of things before getting into road racing. I went through the HPDE system and just finished my first season of wheel to wheel racing.

HPDE is a fantastic program and NASA offers more track time per dollar than anything else I've seen.

j

Is it recommended to track on newer tires? I have a spare set of rims with tires (tires still have a bit of tread) and I'd rather use those an not shred up new tires.

• Members

For HPDE 1 you truly want the oldest tires you have - you'll be learning a lot and most older tires will "squeal" when you are reaching their limits and give you fair warning. The key is to spend the whole time learning how to handle what you have and then eventually as you get better you should improve the car to match the driver.

It's a 2006 Accord with a inline 4, you can't really do much downshifting (no paddles).

I'm not sure how much I'd be doing it in the Accord, I think if I like it enough, I'd be looking for a cheap track car (maybe a civic).

Does the shifter have D32, just D, or D,2?

If it just has D you need to be real careful through the turns. good news is its front wheel drive. You'll have to learn when it downshifts under full throttle. Once you know where it does it you can make it downshift at a non-scarry point in the turns.

Example if you have your wheel turned to the right when it downshifts the car will RAPIDLY go right. If you are ready for it you can use it to your advantage by turning the wheel straight just before kick down. Or don't use as much throttle until the steering is striaghter. (hope I explained that well, its easier to feel it on the road or track)

Does the shifter have D32, just D, or D,2?

If it just has D you need to be real careful through the turns. good news is its front wheel drive. You'll have to learn when it downshifts under full throttle. Once you know where it does it you can make it downshift at a non-scarry point in the turns.

Example if you have your wheel turned to the right when it downshifts the car will RAPIDLY go right. If you are ready for it you can use it to your advantage by turning the wheel straight just before kick down. Or don't use as much throttle until the steering is striaghter. (hope I explained that well, its easier to feel it on the road or track)

The car has D1, D2 (starts out and stays in 2nd), D3 (gears 1-3 obviously), and D. I know I can get up to about 60 in D2, but I may need a little bit more. Don't think I'd feel safe downshifting from D3 to D2, not even sure the ECU will let that happen.

The car has D1, D2 (starts out and stays in 2nd), D3 (gears 1-3 obviously), and D. I know I can get up to about 60 in D2, but I may need a little bit more. Don't think I'd feel safe downshifting from D3 to D2, not even sure the ECU will let that happen.

It depends on corner entry speed and target exit speed.

Example T7 at Road Atl:

You are carrying a lot of speed out of T6 in D3

Heavy brake and put it in D2 (because you are braking and RPM is dropping it will probably shift the way you want it, I haven't seen any car that won't)

Turn in and easy feed it gas

At the apex start straightening out the wheel and feed it more gas

At track out put it in D3 and let the trans upshift when it wants cause you should be at full throttle

T7 is a fairly tight slow turn. Other tracks and other turns have different strategies, However they will work similarly. Fast turns - leave in D3, slow turns shift to D2 under braking and select D3 at the track out point.

• 2 months later...
may not be ideal for the higher levels but for DE1 it'll work fine - get out there and have fun

meh, I had a blast with an automatic rental car in TT at MAM and know of someone that got a TTF record with a rental automatic Aveo at Gingerman.. lol

may not be ideal for the higher levels but for DE1 it'll work fine - get out there and have fun

meh, I had a blast with an automatic rental car in TT at MAM and know of someone that got a TTF record with a rental automatic Aveo at Gingerman.. lol

You should really consider this option, we have done this a few times with rental v6 mustangs, plenty of power, good handling and they're not your tires . Some of the best times I've had on track were in one of those things. A lot of fun to be hooning with the radio blasting!

• 1 year later...