NASA Announces New Spec Iron Class!

tacovini

NASA Announces New Spec Iron Class.

January 14, 2013 5:04 PM —

NAPA VALLEY, CA (January 14, 2013) The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) is pleased to announce the introduction of a new class that will join the American Iron® series of ponycar racing in 2013. This new class will provide a lower barrier of entry to the series and complement the existing American Iron (AI) and American Iron Extreme (AIX) classes with an “American Iron Spec” type formula. The new Spec Iron (SI) class will feature the 2005-2010 Ford Mustang GT and is supported by Ford Racing. The cars will use a number of parts specified from the Ford Racing catalog along with the Toyo Proxes RA-1 tire following the successful formula that NASA has applied to many other spec classes. The “spec” prep level of the class will ensure that the class is a “driver’s class” full of close competition, limited modifications and exciting racing.

Mark Wilson of Ford Racing commented that “Many drivers have been looking to race the S197 chassis in a spec series like Spec Iron. We are very pleased to be working with NASA on this class and we are looking forward to seeing big fields as the class gains momentum.”

“We have been looking at adding a lower cost, limited modification spec formula to the American Iron® Series for quite a while,” added Todd Covini, American Iron® Series National Director. “With Ford Racing’s support and collaboration we were able to create an achievable and affordable build sheet for ponycar racers looking to try out a tightly controlled V8 formula like this. We think Spec Iron has a lot of growth potential and is really going to take off.”

In addition to vehicle parts and tuning support, Ford Racing is also providing a contingency program similar to the programs that American Iron racers in other classes currently enjoy. Regionally, Top 3 Spec Iron finishing drivers are eligible for cash prizes of $250/ $100 / $50 per race with a maximum of 2 races per NASA weekend provided a minimum of 3 class cars are competing. If 2 class cars compete, there is still a payout of $100/$50 per race. For the 2013 National Championships, Top 3 Spec Iron finishing drivers will be awarded $2500/ $1500 / $750. “With 16 NASA regions, and 6 to 10 weekends of racing in each region, that is a large commitment from Ford Racing which we certainly appreciate.” remarked Todd Covini. “Our goal is to have at least 10 Spec Iron cars competing for a National Championship this year.”

More information regarding contingency programs and other details will be released soon but rules are available now at both http://www.nasaproracing.com and http://www.nasaponycars.com. Racers can also discuss this new class in the American Iron® section of http://www.nasaforums.com.

Looks like a lot of fun!

By the way: Hyper-Performance Motorsports now has the required Spec-Iron windshield banners (white background) available!

• Members

You putting together a couple of rental rides Steve?

Glad you guys like this. I am very excited with this and especially to have Ford so deeply involved.

Glad you guys like this. I am very excited with this and especially to have Ford so deeply involved.

Thinking about it as I have couple cars just sitting .

Thinking about it as I have couple cars just sitting .

Tough problem to have.

Beat me to it Al.

Steve, if you build em, they will come.. Especially to Miller for the big race

Although the Ford Racing M-1007-S1895 wheel it's not mandatory, but highly recommended, PTS has a wheel and tire package available for the new Spec Iron class using the Spec Ford Racing wheel and Toyo RA-1's.

The Ford Racing M-1007-S1895 wheel (silver or black 18x9.5) with 275/35R18 Toyo RA-1 shaved to 4/32nds mounted, balanced with metal valve stems

$499 ea. plus shipping

Just doing our part to help this class grow and prosper within the NASA family........

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the support, Phil!

Before anyone asks...this is the 275/35ZR18 tire and 18x9.5 wheel...right, Phil?

The RA-1 in this size is required in the Spec Iron class as is an 18x9.5 wheel.

Thanks for the support, Phil!

Before anyone asks...this is the 275/35ZR18 tire and 18x9.5 wheel...right, Phil?

The RA-1 in this size is required in the Spec Iron class as is an 18x9.5 wheel.

Yes Jimmy...I will clarify that in the post.....thanks !

I finally have a direction to go in with my poemotorsports sourced body in white! Thanks Steve and Thanks NASA!

Hope the build is going well and I love the citation jet in your signature. I think that is the 1st jet I have seen on a signature list . I want a ride sometime.

• Al F. unpinned this topic