Roll Cage Build

sdcham@msn.com

Hello Can some one tell me what "the use of 1.75 inch x .120 inch DOM

roll cage material is highly recommended". I am getting ready to start my build and I am not sure what this means. Highly recommended to me means that its not required but hopeful that you would use it. Most of my builds have been of 095. 1.75 seems to be a little big? Any help is much appreciated

Regards

I'm not sure where you found that quoted line, but the CCR is pretty clear about tube size.

15.6.18 Roll Cage Tubing Sizes

For the purposes of determining roll bar tubing sizes, vehicle weight is as raced, but without fuel and driver.

Note: There is an allowance of minus 0.010 inches on all tubing thicknesses. Minimum tubing size for the roll

cage is:

Up to 1500 lbs

1.375” x 0.095” Seamless Alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel (CDS Mechanical) or DOM

1.500” x 0.080” Seamless Alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel (CDS Mechanical) or DOM

1501 - 2500 lbs

1.500” x 0.095” Seamless Alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel (CDS Mechanical) or DOM

1.500” x 0.120” ERW* (No issuance of log books for cars with ERW cages) *Note- Specifications listed only for

reference for inspection of grandfathered vehicles.

2501 - 3000 lbs

1.500” x 0.120” Seamless Alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel (CDS Mechanical) or DOM

1.750” x 0.095” Seamless Alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel (CDS Mechanical) or DOM

1.750” x 0.120” ERW* (No issuance of log books for cars with ERW cages) *Note- Specifications listed only for

reference for inspection of grandfathered vehicles.

3001 - 4000 lbs

1.750” x .120” Seamless Alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel (CDS Mechanical) or DOM

No ERW allowed.

Over 4000 lbs

2.000” x 0.120” Seamless Alloy (4130), Seamless mild steel (CDS Mechanical) or DOM

No ERW allowed.

Mark

Dan,

Personally, I would find a shop local to you that can go thru the CCR's to ensure that the cage you need is built right. "Box" cages can be pretty sloppy unless you go to a shop that only does a particular type of car (Rehagen for S197's and Blainefab for 4th gens, for example). The cages are pretty minimal, but the 1 3/4 0.120 isn't something I'd really skimp on. Unless they are going to TIG the cage, stay away from chromoly 4130. Plain 1018 mild steel does a fine job with a MIG and has been the benchmark for budget racers for decades. Extra bracing, not required by the CCR's can be any OD and wall thickness that you want, so keep that in mind if you are trying to keep the cage on a diet.

AND don't forget that some class rules supersede the CCR. So, make sure you verify your class rules as well. When I took my car in to the shop for the roll cage, I took a printout of both rules so there were no questions.

Since the rules require that mild steel and 4130 chrome moly shall be the same thickness, there is no point in using 4130 chrome moly, given the associated disadvantages with cost, heat treating, etc. There is no weight advantage either way when using the same volume of tube.

Mark

• 5 months later...

Absolutely, unless the class rules prohibit them. Many of us have those in our cars but some class rules restrict the number of mounting points and don't want you to stiffen the car via the cage.

Absolutely, unless the class rules prohibit them. Many of us have those in our cars but some class rules restrict the number of mounting points and don't want you to stiffen the car via the cage.

Thanks Jimmy, its a '94 Mustang American Iron project. Just trying to get the ducks aligned for my August cage build. I did read the rules about mounting points, just wanted to make sure.