More Racing Format?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. More Racing Format?

• Keep it the same
    • Change to proposed format

nasajerry

How about more racing for Nor Cal?

Here is an IDEA (this means that we may or may not do it):

Use the practice times to set the grid for a qualifying race. Use those results to grid for the main race. This will give Nor Cal guys four races per weekend!

Just a thought.

Let's get some debate going with each other. You guys can go point vs. counter point until you reach a definitive answer. THEN, come to me and let me know. I would like to stay out of it and let you guys brainstorm it.

Jerry

nasajerry

Also notice there is a voting poll at the top of this post.

Jim P.

Sounds good - but I am on the east coast!

How do you vote in the poll?

FasTom

Jerry, I hate to say it but maybe you are offering too much racing. How about some relaxation and BS time allowance in the weekend. That seems to be the difference with the brand S club.

bpanther
Jerry, I hate to say it but maybe you are offering too much racing. How about some relaxation and BS time allowance in the weekend. That seems to be the difference with the brand S club.

As witnessed at Vegas last month, I had to practicaly drag you guys out on track after a while. Geez Tom, can there *ever* be too much track time??

-dave

civicrr

Use the practice times to set the grid for a qualifying race. Use those results to grid for the main race. This will give Nor Cal guys four races per weekend!

Jerry

Well, that would depend on the length of the practice & more importantly, the length of the races. I wouldn't want them to be any shorter personally.

civicrr

sorry. double posted.

Edited by Guest

tilleyii

This is already done in some venues and works OK. The only down side is that many racers have specific strategies wrt to where they want to be on the grid before qualifying. Some will not come to grid until cars are already going on to track to be at the tail end to get a clear lap. Others will place their cars on grid as soon as the previous grid has cleared. Going to the suggested format somewhat restricts this jocking for position that goes on. I would rather keep it free.

944-Spec#94

I'd rather have 2 practice 1 qualifying 1 race.

Reason is that I enjoy qualiflying and the skills it requires that differ from racing.

1) You need to be smart to get clear track and not be obstructed by traffic.

2) You need to learn how to drive 2-3 laps on the very limit.

I prefer a dedicated qualifying session vs a best in practice since I feel it safer. In a dedicated qualifying session you know everyone is out there to run superfast laps. You stay out of other people's way and they will try to stay out of yours. Little to no testing is going on.

Also in case of rain a single qualfying session makes things even more interesting.

To me a qualifying race just seems like a race that does not mean very much. It reality is like two races split in the middle.

I'd rather have 2 practice sessions. In these you can use the first one for a warm-up car check or quick track reminder. Since the track is often cold got meaning full lap times may not be achieved.

In the second you can work on lines through corners and such and learn to get faster. You can also scrub in tires and do car set-up adjusments.

Then you mentally prepare for qualifying. - Go out and bang out a couple fast laps. Pull off and see where you came out. First? or Last?

Then get prepared for the race and go for it.

nasajerry

944 guy.

There is no option in this proposal to make additional sessions! Moreover, my feeling is that you should practice on the test days the track offers. The mere 15-20minute warmup is not "practice." If you can learn a track that fast you should be driving in F1.

I won't disagree with anyone's opinion, but let's try and stick to the two options proposed, at least on this issue; please.

Jerry

944-Spec#94

Jerry,

I guess I am a bit confused then?

I have run the Arizona Region where the standard is 2 20 min practice 1 20 min qualifying and 1 30 to 35 min race.

Most other groups in this area use a similar format. I am also familiar with the Porsche Club Racing format which is bascily the same. 4 run sessions per day set-up as I explained. One does not as they use a 2 practice 1 qual race and 1 feature race. I naturally assumed that these were the formats you were proposed changing from and to.

I was not aware that you run you region differently. I only responded since because I like my existing format as stated above. I naturally assumed that the basic format was similar across all NASA regions. Since Norcal is the "leader" region I just wanted to express that I liked my current format. I am not sure if you intend this format to flow to the other NASA regions at some point. I did not intend to introduce another variable.

With Respect to learning a track in 2 -20 min sessions. I did not imply that I could get 100% of a track in 20 min, but that each time a revist a track I can use those sessions to improve and find a bit more speed. Having a test day is very usefull, but not always practical.

Here in Arizona we have just started using a New Facility. Arizona Motorsports Park. To date I have 5 track days there. Each day had a 2 practice 1 qual, 1 race format with no "test days".

My first event was a the NASA March 15,16 Event. In that event I used the 2 20 min practice sessions to learn the track. I did not learn everything, but enough to be comfortable for the first days race. Sunday was wet and completly new experince for me.

Next event was April 12, 13 I again used the practice to learn the lines and find more speed. This event I picked up another second.

I followed this up with another event April 19th with a Local Arizona group for one day also at AMP and found another 1.5 seconds.

My point is that I find those practice sessions very useful in learning the track and getting faster even without a dedicate test day.

Even at Phoenix International Raceway that I have been driving for 4 years I use the practice sessions again to work line and finding another 0.1 of a second.

This is just my experience. If I make a trip to a Nor Cal track I personally would like to have couple practice sessions to learn the basics of the track and feel comfortable for my first race. I may not be fast, but just need to know where I am going. Speed will come on later visits.

Just my $0.02

nasajerry

Joe,

Sorry for calling you "944-guy." I had brain fade and missed your name at the bottom. No disrespect intended.

As for the format, I now have a better understanding of why you said what you said. I didn't take in a bad way. I just wanted to make sure we were all focusing on the proposed format change, not introduce a new one. I am trying to get feedback for the new format.

I understand everything, so everything is cool. Please feel free to vote on what format you would like better, IF you were to come to nor cal. That would be most helpful.

Thanks

clock

I would have to agree with #94. Qualifying is fun, and different than the final race. Keep it like it is.

racercosmo

My car is used for the minimum time possible each weekend. It runs a few warmup laps, pit in to check pressures and temps, a few good laps in qualifying, then the race. The proposed format would require my car to be used every possible minute. Keep it the way it is.