Spec Iron ABS ?

bluefirepony

come on about the abs. is that how you drive your car? get to the braking zone and mash the pedal as hard as you can?

i doubt that. if you engage the abs system, you are going slower than if you correctly threshold braked the corner. some might could say that same thing about smoking the living daylights out of an RA1. you can just about lock them up to your hearts content and they remain round.

Rob do you even read the stuff you type? Cause if you believe that, I have a few slightly used square RA1's I can sell you.

Also if abs doesn't help why did the Ford teams petition grand am for the Bosch unit Chevy was running? Guess they think it is pretty important and the last time I checked they were the pros, probably with stacks of data to prove it does matter.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CF03GT

• jdlingle

• marshallmosty

• djs197mustang

Nape, I hear you. understood. we'll see how this series does evolve (?). Also I really dont even look at abs as an advantage in this class (since everyone will be using same one.)

I'm looking for driver controlled limits in a spec, or more touted "drivers" class.

Cody.. was trying to post this and you popped in! whats up bro

Just living the dream. I have my car guy looking for a good 2011 donor. I think this it's going to be an awesome class. For the record I think ABS is a great idea as well as a spec spring and shock package.

Come on guys, this is a brand new class trying to establish itself. Dead horse (in a different arena) or not.. nows the time to put the concerns on the table.

Funny Robert

Ed, we could all use remote control too.. we'd all have the same thing.. . Cinch up those big boy panties and drive w/in your own limits

And Ed and Bodle, where did you guys get the idea I thought it was just a stab at the pedal and magic happens?? Lol.

I just like it raw (the driving that is).

I DO have a spec Miata calling your name Mr. Ferrari.

It's so Raw it still has the flat spots on the tires from Nationals along with the crash damage from the guy bouncing off the wall (or other car) in front of me.

For sure you ripped out all your ABS shit out and sold it. Robert hit that nail on the head. I get it, dude, I just put a freakin boss motor in the car when I could have just raced right onto the podium in spec iron like Ed. No, seriously. Ed, I want my old motor back!!

And to finish kicking the horse, abs is great because it allows one to close their eyes upon reaching the brake zone and put both feet on the braking pedal and let everything work out. Every time. Every lap. The brakes dont even wear out they are so damn good.

The reality is the non abs car has to win in AI this year given the power advantage.

Aww man.. no love even from the really cool guys..

Your a funny guy Brucie! I've tried out spec miata. Was fun, but more along miniature golf type fun. Ps. "Its so Raw it still has flat spots on the tires along with crash damage from guy bouncing off the wall" YES! thats what a real race car should be!

Cool Cody! Hope you find one of the slow ones

DOWN WITH ABS!

This abs thing really might be a deal breaker for me.. I might just head back over to where the real men run (CMC).

Have you looked at the current CMC rules requirements for your car?!? I don't think they want you to win again!

GMC_3798_zps514c884a.jpg

Chris, for what its worth, I agree with your points.

I don't have a horse in the race, but still think the arguements "for" ABS are as hilarious as ever.,.....Power steering, defroster (really ??)

Heres a very simple way to avoid flat spotting tires.............Learn how to threshold brake...dah

But the best one is as a safety item. "It prevents accidents"..........No good driving, situational awareness, and using your head, prevents accidents. Just a suggestion, but maybe, just maybe, you will have to race at 9/10 instead of 10/10 in certain circumstances. Its a crutch. Like any other crutch, put too much weight on it, and it breaks.

You can make all of the same arguements for traction contol. Speaking of traction control aren't the same components for ABS also used for traction and launch control?

Many, many pro and amateur classes manage to race without ABS. It can, and is being done, even at the highest level of racing.

TJ, nailed it. It ain't going anywhere in FI, I mean AI or SI.... (I get my letter mixed up sometimes)

Steve P. I posted for your amusement. You didn't think i could let Chris take the heat all by himself ?............Wait the horse still has a little life left in him..

This abs thing really might be a deal breaker for me.. I might just head back over to where the real men run (CMC).

Have you looked at the current CMC rules requirements for your car?!? I don't think they want you to win again!

GMC_3798_zps514c884a.jpg

DSCF5045

Tell em Dave!!

I raced a couple of years of MINI Challenge with a BMW Motorsport calibrated ABS setup for Dunlop Slicks - the interesting thing with this system (and that fitted to most production cars) is that the Hydraulic Unit performs a large number of functions. Anti-lock is the obvious one, and later models use it for ESC, but the main one you feel is the EBD - Electronic Brake-force Distribution.

Under threshold braking you could feel the brake force shifting front-rear and side to side to compensate for the car's movements. The car needed this system to brake effectively, removing it would require wholesale changes to master cylinders, proportioning valves etc.

You could brake REALLY deep, just like in a car without ABS, but if you stuffed it up or had to dodge an incident then it was (as Dean so bluntly put it), a safety net.

Oh, and in the wet? Saved several drivers from nerfing their car into the fence.

So if the point of Spec Iron is to get new guys & girls with STANDARD 4.6 S197s onto the grid for the cheapest and simplest way possible, then use the FR ABS. It will save them, their cars, complexity and cost. It's why I bought the bits to use on my 2007 GT!

All the standard 4.6 didnt come with FR abs. You have to purchase and install the FR system. And like you mentioned, need make sure you have all correct parts and everything is working in concert. It is a complex system.

"So if the point of Spec Iron is to get new guys & girls with STANDARD 4.6 S197s onto the grid for the cheapest and simplest way possible",

is to do this.. Simply remove the factory hydraulic unit, replaced it with a mail order direct line plug in bypass block, and pull the abs fuse. Takes all of an hour to complete. Simple and cheap enough? And I bet (well, I know.. damn my secrets out now anyways) your gonna have a lot better feel through the pedal for what that front end is doing over the feel through the abs. Think about that in the rain as well. Those drivers you mentioned abs "saving them in the rain", might not have been in that situation(s) to begin with.

i wonder...would you rather outlaw abs and get wrecked by someone losing it in the rain or allow abs?

Rob, please read your posts over and over before you hit the submit button.. your making no sense again..

Why would I get wrecked in the rain more from non abs "someone"? Did you just read my point above . There's many non abs classes that have been doing it (and doing it well) in the rain for a long time. Heck, most of those guys in those non abs classes are faster when its raining then the abs groups (I've seen it happen multiple times watching the Great Lakes/Mid West CMC guys doing it to the faster abs classes in the rain.

So my answer to your question is.. OUTLAW ABS!

"So if the point of Spec Iron is to get new guys & girls with STANDARD 4.6 S197s onto the grid for the cheapest and simplest way possible", is to do this.. Simply remove the factory hydraulic unit, replaced it with a mail order direct line plug in bypass block, and pull the abs fuse. Takes all of an hour to complete. Simple and cheap enough?

It's not that simple, I've been told many times! It's obvious that the car will flip over and burst into flames killing everyone within 100 yards. That "mail order direct line plug in bypass block" and pulling the ABS fuse didn't get the blessing of all those skilled Ford engineers and it will cause the car to become an uncontrollable projectile.

"So if the point of Spec Iron is to get new guys & girls with STANDARD 4.6 S197s onto the grid for the cheapest and simplest way possible", is to do this.. Simply remove the factory hydraulic unit, replaced it with a mail order direct line plug in bypass block, and pull the abs fuse. Takes all of an hour to complete. Simple and cheap enough?

It's not that simple, I've been told many times! It's obvious that the car will flip over and burst into flames killing everyone within 100 yards. That "mail order direct line plug in bypass block" and pulling the ABS fuse didn't get the blessing of all those skilled Ford engineers and it will cause the car to become an uncontrollable projectile.

Funny stuff TJ

So, listening to all the logic on why Global warming will increase exponentially without Ford ABS, I have to ask the question. How the F did we all not wreck and kill each other before the arrival of Fords system? There must have been ten and twenty car pile up in AI in the past. And everyones tires were all squared off, do to flat spots............No, wait a minute....I seem to remember there was safe, close racing prior to 2006.

Bla..bla..bla..who cares, anyway...."It is what it is"

• 2 weeks later...

ENOUGH ALREADY!

F@(KING LET IT GO!

THE CLASS REQUIRES ABS. DON'T LIKE, DON'T USE! OR, RUN CMC. EVERY MICHAEL FUKING SCHUMACHER ON THIS FORUM SHOULD JUST RUN WITHOUT ABS...

It aint gonna change so stop talking about it. When 90% of the people want it, that's what the rules will dictate...

Someone lock this thread and block any new threads containing "ABS"...

Ok, I've wasted enough time on this forum. I've got to get back in the shop and work on my cars. Spring is coming and I've just got bunch of piles of shit and parts here. I think my time would be better spent trying to figure out how to create reverse thrust under braking than reading these threads.

If someone would be so kind as to send me an email or text me when the shock package has been finalized, I would be very grateful...

Whats the deal with this FR abs rule in Spec Iron?? I hear its on the table to be removed from the rule set (?).

I havent heard any talk in almost three weeks? ..Oh, except well.. thanks Dean for bringing this back up

That would be awsome! All the guys that want to run abs to run "safe" and go fast, can run in AI!

Signed- The SI Stig

ps. Schumacher is slow

Well change that to 89% Im against it! No abs, spec shocks and Rocky Mountain region will have 2 cars... if not good luck Cody!