Infineon noise limit?

bora450

I found the original post to CornerCarvers:

----------------------------------------------------

CMC#502-06-04, 08:35 PM

I got an email from Nasa today telling, among other things, that there will be a sound limit of 103dB measured 50' from the track at turn 12 (the kink in the main straight).

Have they done this before? Is 103dB easy to hit? I consider my car pretty quiet compared to some other cars, but should I be worried? Its a bone stock LT-1 with open pipes.

I found the original post to CornerCarvers:

----------------------------------------------------

CMC#502-06-04, 08:35 PM

I got an email from Nasa today telling, among other things, that there will be a sound limit of 103dB measured 50' from the track at turn 12 (the kink in the main straight).

Have they done this before? Is 103dB easy to hit? I consider my car pretty quiet compared to some other cars, but should I be worried? Its a bone stock LT-1 with open pipes.

I agree Claus. We might have some cars that might be over that.

103 dB is a pretty common sound limit, and quite a few tracks have lower limits. At either Roebling Roads or Road Atlanta (maybe both) the limit is 93 dB. Staying under 103 dB shouldn't be a problem, even for ground pounders (big V8s). Heck, they run a Bennetton B191 at the Walter Mitty Historics at Road Atlanta.

Hi Claus,

I will ask Jerry about the official limit at Infineon. However, we plenty of loud V8 ASC cars that seem to be just fine. Are you asking for a friend? I don't remeber your Porsche being all that loud........... but pretty damn fast.

Laguna, on the other hand, is VERY strict up here. (less than 93db)

Regards,

John

Hey Claus,

I ran my Audi (sorta loud) at a weeday club event at Sears and they didn't have a problem. I think they are much more lenient on the weekends with larger, sanctioned groups. Besides, there are some pretty loud USTCC cars that will be running that weekend.

"It's a strictly enforced 103 dBA measured 50' from the line. The mic is

located driver's right at the apex of T12."

This is the official word.

John

Hi Claus,

Are you asking for a friend? I don't remeber your Porsche being all that loud... John

I run a main muffler and a wastegate muffler at Laguna Seca but don't know what my dB level is without them. The turbocharger does muffler quite a bit. I will bring the mufflers just in case and drive open exhaust.

Thanks,

Claus