Another Question on Seats + Harnesses + Bars

dsc off

I've never seen those but was trying to figure out how to do something similar myself. It looks like a good idea but they cost $190! And they say "don't spend hundreds of dollars on a racing seat". Kind of funny. Sparco makes an FIA approved racing seat for only about $370!

I've never seen those but was trying to figure out how to do something similar myself. It looks like a good idea but they cost $190! And they say "don't spend hundreds of dollars on a racing seat". Kind of funny. Sparco makes an FIA approved racing seat for only about $370!

I think the folks that are using them are highlighting the convenience of not having to swap out a seat (or live with one on a daily basis). Another compromise, for sure, but another viable option.

I have been known to be a tightwad at times, but damn, the Sparco Ergo is a great seat. It's a safety item, so easy to justify. I am so far down the rabbit hole I can't see daylight..... Also, might as well do it now before the Alzheimers kicks in....

• 1 month later...

Any examples of fixed bucket seats that allow for 3 point belts? I thought you are required to run a harness with a fixed bucket seat?

Thanks

I have seen folks use a fixed back racing seat with the factory 3 point. I think you just have to unbolt the bottom end of the factory belt and pass the lap portion through the opening in the seat and then bolt it back. You'd also have to make sure that the buckle end (on the right) will fit through the hole in the seat as well.

I have no idea if doing this compromises the safety of the factory 3 pt but I don't know why it would as long as everything is free to move normally.

^That makes sense.

Well, like I said, I've seen it done but I don't know if it is kosher or not. It has sort of been my plan to get some racing seats and use the 3 pt until I can afford a real rollbar.

With some seats the belt opeing is fairly large and somewhat triangular which look like they would work with factory belts. On other seats the opening is more of a rectangular slot and might not work as well.

I was able to unbolt the outboard belt stay, route it through the cutout in the seat and rebolt it. The seat bracket has a place to mount the factory buckle. I can lace the latch through the right side seat cutout and clip it in the buckle. One piece bucket seat with OEM 3pt belts.

I was able to unbolt the outboard belt stay, route it through the cutout in the seat and rebolt it. The seat bracket has a place to mount the factory buckle. I can lace the latch through the right side seat cutout and clip it in the buckle. One piece bucket seat with OEM 3pt belts.

Excellent. Thanks. I may go that route until I can afford a roll bar.

I use a Sparco Sprint V and the holes are pretty decently setup to work with my stock seatbelts (s2000). No harness for me either until I put in a roll bar.