Noob with question about Cayman/GTS - advice wanted

ColoradoHeel

I'm a relative rookie to all of this and would appreciate any suggestions/rec's/advice...

Daily Driver is an '07 911 4S. I've done 3 weekends of HPDE (PPIR, HPR and LaJunta CO), as well as 5 days of open lapping (HPR and PPIR). Instructor commentary/feedback has been very good (moved to solo 1st weekend of HPDE, moved up from Green to Blue on the 3rd weekend). I do not have an inflated view of my abilities, but I trust that my instructors were honest when they told me (independent of one another) that I have a natural instinct for this and a surprisingly good skillset for a greenhorn.

I want to move from HPDE (though continuing to participate in HPDE) to competitive racing. I will be taking an SCCA Road Racing course this Spring/Summer to further my skillset. And I continue to read and digest every racing book I can get my hands on.

My plan is to purchase an '06/'07 Cayman S (in my donor car price range - and a cool car which I enjoy driving - and I am a Porsche addict), and based on my research thus far, the GTS series within NASA is the appropriate racing group. Is that correct? The GTS class will just be determined by HP to weight ratio, right?

I have every expectation that my skillset and equipment (race prepped Cayman S with minimal mods) at the onset will put me toward the back of the pack in any/every race I enter (I assume the other drivers are much more experienced and their cars more finely tuned/prepped). I am okay with that - to win will require lots of seat time, experience, effort and continual tuning/set-up adjustment of the car.

My question is, so long as I am driving properly/safely (though not necessarily as fast as others) - not doing anything stupid, am I going to be an impediment to other racers? Am I going to be the only other rookie out there? I have developed a profound respect for racecar drivers and the sport, and I don't want to muck it up for everyone else...is this environment accepting to the new fanatic (one that takes it all quite seriously).

Appreciate the comments.

...is this environment accepting to the new fanatic (one that takes it all quite seriously).

Of course it is! If you can pass the license test, and don't play bumper cars in your rookie races, you'll be an instantly welcomed addition to the track

Firstly Caymen is a very good GTS car as it's German You could run an ST class too and some places have a spec boxter. I know around here noone runs it so folks like yourself run GTS.

Secondly which is the longer answer is everyone at one point or another was a rookie so don't worry about that and chances are you wont be the only one in your group. Doing a comp school is great. You learn logistics, safety, and some basic racecraft / racing etiquette. You might learn some driving skills but that's not what a comp school is geared toward.

Long story short if you're still "learning" as a driver you aren't going to learn a lot by just racing. I'm not so sure racing after 8 track days is the best thing for your driving but it's been done before. In addition I don't think there is enough information here to say if you're going to be an "impediment." There have been racers with 15 years experience that are still "impediments" and others with 1-2 years that win races and never cause incidents. Intentions are not enough here and has more to do with skill, experience, instincts, awareness, and control.

I'm a new racer myself albeit with a lot of experience driving and I'm excited about racing in GTS. I've done 3-4 races in other cars and it's challenging and fun in a much different way than just track driving. I'm not so sure if it would have been so much fun if I didn't feel confident as a driver. I did my first DE in 1997 when I was still in college so that means I've driven for almost 15 years before racing? Long story short you might find racing a little frustrating and overwhelming for a while, but I assure you that won't last that long as it sounds like you have the right mindset going in.

P.S. forget the SCCA and stick to NASA GTS

Greetings, and welcome!

A few thoughts for you to consider:

1) The Cayman is a great car, no doubt, and would make an excellent GTS car.

Probably.

What you'll want to look at is actual power and actual weight, including you and all your gear, as that's what we measure. When I say "actual power," what I mean is how much power it makes at the rear wheels on a Dynojet dyno. Don't measure it on any other dynos as (a) we won't let you use those, and (b) some of them have very different readings from the Dynojets.

I imagine somebody here can weigh in on this and let you know what kind of number to expect, if you don't already know.

The reason I bring this up is that, although it's possible to make any (German) car fit in a GTS class, if you have to do it by adding a lot of weight you'll be uncompetitive, which is no fun...even when you're learning. It is by far the better choice to be able to strip your car of all unnecessary weight as that makes it handle and stop better. So, that's thought one.

2) If you'd come here without the Cayman in mind and asked the question, "I'm new to all this and want to begin learning about racing. What car would you suggest?" I'd point you to a lower horsepower car. Either GTS1 or GTS2, depending on which has more racers in your area. Here's why:

Although it sounds like you're doing great at learning to drive on the track, unless you have some former serious track/racing experience--a lot of autocross, or karts, or maybe motorcycle racing--it is highly unlikely you're nearing the limits of your car. That's not a dig on you, that's just how it works. There's a learning cycle here that we all have to go through. And, the faster your car is, the harder it is to learn how to drive it truly fast.

I'm not talking about going down the straights fast. That's easy. What I'm talking about is learning to extract every mile per hour both into and out of the turns, to drive the car on the limit of adhesion all the time, and to brake deeply into the turns while scrubbing off only the minimum speed necessary.

The faster your car is, the more it lets you do all these things poorly and still seem to go fast. Also, the faster you're going down the straights, the more intimidating the upcoming corner will seem. Like you, when I first started doing DEs back in the 1980s (yes, we had gasoline back then), I had a fast 911 and was a very fast learner, in part because I'd done a lot of autocross prior to that. My first day I was bumped from the D group to the A group, so I get it. And, then I raced Formula Atlantics for a while in SCCA Regional races and did very well there. But, the thing is, even though I was fast and successful, it wasn't until I bought and developed a lowly Porsche 944 S2 as a GTS2 car that I really learned to go fast.

So, if you're not dead set on the Cayman, you might consider something slower for a year or two to really build your chops. Get a decent cheap one and hold off on the Cayman for a couple of years. Just a thought.

3) The final thought is that if you're going to race, and if you can afford it, try to double up doing Time Trials or HPDE4 or something in addition to the racing on your racing weekends. Seat time is really important in learning all these skills. And, the thing a lot of folks don't really realize is that the going-fast part may be the end-all and be-all in HPDE but it is nothing more than an expectation for entry to wheel-to-wheel racing. Once you start racing there will be a whole new learning curve of things you've never had to know before, like dealing with traffic, driving off-line, being overtaken, passing in places you've never passed and, once you've figured all that out, racecraft, which is a whole other series of lessons.

Racing is so much more fun than HPDE it's hard to describe how fun it really is, but there's a lot to learn and it just takes some time to learn it all. I guess that's a part of the fun.

Please feel free to use or ignore any of this advice as you see fit. I hope to see you out there on the track (Cayman or otherwise) soon. Good luck and have fun!

...is this environment accepting to the new fanatic (one that takes it all quite seriously).

Of course it is! If you can pass the license test, and don't play bumper cars in your rookie races, you'll be an instantly welcomed addition to the track

Thanks!

Firstly Caymen is a very good GTS car as it's German You could run an ST class too and some places have a spec boxter. I know around here noone runs it so folks like yourself run GTS.

Secondly which is the longer answer is everyone at one point or another was a rookie so don't worry about that and chances are you wont be the only one in your group. Doing a comp school is great. You learn logistics, safety, and some basic racecraft / racing etiquette. You might learn some driving skills but that's not what a comp school is geared toward.

Long story short if you're still "learning" as a driver you aren't going to learn a lot by just racing. I'm not so sure racing after 8 track days is the best thing for your driving but it's been done before. In addition I don't think there is enough information here to say if you're going to be an "impediment." There have been racers with 15 years experience that are still "impediments" and others with 1-2 years that win races and never cause incidents. Intentions are not enough here and has more to do with skill, experience, instincts, awareness, and control.

I'm a new racer myself albeit with a lot of experience driving and I'm excited about racing in GTS. I've done 3-4 races in other cars and it's challenging and fun in a much different way than just track driving. I'm not so sure if it would have been so much fun if I didn't feel confident as a driver. I did my first DE in 1997 when I was still in college so that means I've driven for almost 15 years before racing? Long story short you might find racing a little frustrating and overwhelming for a while, but I assure you that won't last that long as it sounds like you have the right mindset going in.

P.S. forget the SCCA and stick to NASA GTS

Thanks. I plan on continuing to participate in HPDE, through the local PCA chapter as well as starting to do some with NASA. And I will continue to autocross. I recognize that there is a learning continuum and that maximizing seat time - particularly in a non-competitive environment is a great way to expand my knowledge, skills and confidence.

With respect to SCCA versus NASA, based on my research over the last few weeks, NASA seems more hospitable to me, so I am leaning that direction. The SCCA Road Course is purely for personal development reasons. Michael Pettiford runs a school at High Plains Raceway and that is pretty convenient for me. I am aware that NASA has a license specific school, but with my business travel and need to spend $ on a track car, I prefer the closer option.

When I get all of this figured out, and buy a track car, I will come back and post the results.

Greetings, and welcome!

A few thoughts for you to consider:

1) The Cayman is a great car, no doubt, and would make an excellent GTS car.

Probably.

What you'll want to look at is actual power and actual weight, including you and all your gear, as that's what we measure. When I say "actual power," what I mean is how much power it makes at the rear wheels on a Dynojet dyno. Don't measure it on any other dynos as (a) we won't let you use those, and (b) some of them have very different readings from the Dynojets.

I imagine somebody here can weigh in on this and let you know what kind of number to expect, if you don't already know.

The reason I bring this up is that, although it's possible to make any (German) car fit in a GTS class, if you have to do it by adding a lot of weight you'll be uncompetitive, which is no fun...even when you're learning. It is by far the better choice to be able to strip your car of all unnecessary weight as that makes it handle and stop better. So, that's thought one.

2) If you'd come here without the Cayman in mind and asked the question, "I'm new to all this and want to begin learning about racing. What car would you suggest?" I'd point you to a lower horsepower car. Either GTS1 or GTS2, depending on which has more racers in your area. Here's why:

Although it sounds like you're doing great at learning to drive on the track, unless you have some former serious track/racing experience--a lot of autocross, or karts, or maybe motorcycle racing--it is highly unlikely you're nearing the limits of your car. That's not a dig on you, that's just how it works. There's a learning cycle here that we all have to go through. And, the faster your car is, the harder it is to learn how to drive it truly fast.

I'm not talking about going down the straights fast. That's easy. What I'm talking about is learning to extract every mile per hour both into and out of the turns, to drive the car on the limit of adhesion all the time, and to brake deeply into the turns while scrubbing off only the minimum speed necessary.

The faster your car is, the more it lets you do all these things poorly and still seem to go fast. Also, the faster you're going down the straights, the more intimidating the upcoming corner will seem. Like you, when I first started doing DEs back in the 1980s (yes, we had gasoline back then), I had a fast 911 and was a very fast learner, in part because I'd done a lot of autocross prior to that. My first day I was bumped from the D group to the A group, so I get it. And, then I raced Formula Atlantics for a while in SCCA Regional races and did very well there. But, the thing is, even though I was fast and successful, it wasn't until I bought and developed a lowly Porsche 944 S2 as a GTS2 car that I really learned to go fast.

So, if you're not dead set on the Cayman, you might consider something slower for a year or two to really build your chops. Get a decent cheap one and hold off on the Cayman for a couple of years. Just a thought.

3) The final thought is that if you're going to race, and if you can afford it, try to double up doing Time Trials or HPDE4 or something in addition to the racing on your racing weekends. Seat time is really important in learning all these skills. And, the thing a lot of folks don't really realize is that the going-fast part may be the end-all and be-all in HPDE but it is nothing more than an expectation for entry to wheel-to-wheel racing. Once you start racing there will be a whole new learning curve of things you've never had to know before, like dealing with traffic, driving off-line, being overtaken, passing in places you've never passed and, once you've figured all that out, racecraft, which is a whole other series of lessons.

Racing is so much more fun than HPDE it's hard to describe how fun it really is, but there's a lot to learn and it just takes some time to learn it all. I guess that's a part of the fun.

Please feel free to use or ignore any of this advice as you see fit. I hope to see you out there on the track (Cayman or otherwise) soon. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks. I definitely need to do more research on vehicle classification. But I agree with you...I want to reduce weight in whatever vehicle I choose.

With respect to me not knowing the limits of my car - that is a definite fact. I am currently doing HPDE in my daily driver and it is quite fast - but also a nice car that I don't really want to destroy, so I have not pushed it as far as it can go. You probably are right that I would be better served in a momentum car like a 944 instead of the Cayman. I will probably just have to get over the fact that the seat time I have had in a 944 N/A was just so underwhelming. At 7000' elevation they are pretty underpowered. That said, it is likely I was underwhelmed because my skillset wouldn't allow me to push the car to its limits.

Time Trials would be new to me, as I have thus far only done DE and AutoX with the PCA. I will have to look into that.

Last comment...I did have an open lapping day at HPR on the Friday before a weekend of racing (SCCA I think). The latter half of the day I was on the track with the weekend's racers (944s, BRZ, Formula Fords, Vette's). It was exhilerating and a completely new experience...getting passed in a curve by a FF, passing under/off-line a BRZ, traffic, etc. That day was the genesis of me wanting to move into the racing environment. Well, that and the in-my-own-mind competition that comes out in DE.

Again - I appreciate everyone's comments thus far.

Oh, and just one more piece of advice toward the purchase or build of your race car. Do yourself a favor and read the preparation rules of the organizations you feel you may get involved with. I would say of course NASA, SCCA, and probably PCA. Each of these rules will describe the necessary specifications for things like the roll cage, fire system, seats, harnesses, suspension, engine, exhaust, glass, aero, etc. etc. This will enable you to possibly make a car you could race with different organizations. More seat time, more competition, more fun !

Great luck getting started !

P.S. definitely go to a local NASA event, maybe for a DE then check out the race cars too ! It will give you ideas for sure.

I agree completely with Scott.....

Pretty much all Porsches have lots of power......far too much really when you are in the early stages of "learning" how to drive on track and race.....as many have said you can have a very fast car that is driven horribly but still turns decent lap times since it is so powerful to begin with....

I started driving on track in 316hp Porsches.....that were more 340hp in reality....moved to a full race car with around 350hp....and 700lbs less weight.... sure I got around the track pretty quickly....but I learned the most in a spec miata!!! The motto of its better to learn how to drive a slow car fast vs a fast car slow is SO TRUE...

Honestly I was lucky that my powerful racer blew up quickly.....that meant more time in Miati.....then I built my lemons racer that wasn't exactly powerful either.....all of which teach momentum and carrying speed through the corners...which is 98% of the game....

If I were much smarter......I would have bought a spec style momentum racer many years ago.....but I learned a costly lesson along the way..... Spec Miata, 944 or E30 are all great classes and lots of fun.....pick one that is well attended locally and rent a car for a couple weekends......try all of them....see which one you enjoy the most.....I have driven all of them.....yet I am still insane and insist on campaigning a rare car......

Bottom line is its all about having fun while staying within your budget.....

In Colorado don't bother with SCCA, don't build to a PCA class (they have 1 race a year). Hop into NASA TT this year for more experience with plans for GTS next year. It's the classing that would fit that car best and there are several GTS2/3 racers locally. If you get talked into a less power car spec 944 and spec miata look to have good fields locally this year.

In Colorado don't bother with SCCA, don't build to a PCA class (they have 1 race a year). Hop into NASA TT this year for more experience with plans for GTS next year. It's the classing that would fit that car best and there are several GTS2/3 racers locally. If you get talked into a less power car spec 944 and spec miata look to have good fields locally this year.

Thanks.

Based on the comments here, and with a friend/neighbor who is a serious racer (Chief Driving Instructor w/PCA, won division at Pikes Peak last year, etc.) I have eliminated the Cayman as an option. As all of you have politely pointed out - I will be outkicking my coverage with that option.

I'm now looking primarily at Boxster and 944, with Miata in the mix as well.

Since my auto mechanic skills are somewhat lacking, rather than buying an already race prepped vehicle, I am considering buying a donor and race prepping it myself (with some help from a couple of buds). The total cost (car + build) is within budget, and I'm sure it will teach me a great deal - knowledge that will be necessary to manage an HPDE and racing schedule without breaking the bank (having to hire a mechanic to do the work would get really expensive, really quickly).

Again - I really appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.

The Rocky Mountain 944 Spec group is among the largest in the country, which will help you get up to speed, and measure your progress much faster. Your race craft will improve by leaps an bounds. When you are racingin a group of 20 cars, speed is relative, and I can guarantee you won't be bored! Then, when you do build that Cayman for GTS, you will kick some ass! As an added bonus, you have a much better idea of how to best build the Cayman to suit you.

Here's how a NASA RM 944 Spec race looks from my car:

The Rocky Mountain 944 Spec group is among the largest in the country, which will help you get up to speed, and measure your progress much faster. Your race craft will improve by leaps an bounds. When you are racingin a group of 20 cars, speed is relative, and I can guarantee you won't be bored! Then, when you do build that Cayman for GTS, you will kick some ass! As an added bonus, you have a much better idea of how to best build the Cayman to suit you.

Here's how a NASA RM 944 Spec race looks from my car:

That is good to know.

Care to share your thoughts re: buying a race prepped 944 versus buying a donor car and building it out (I am not the most mechanically inclined and I think the latter would educate me in a way that will be most valuable in keeping costs down).

Steve

That is good to know.

Care to share your thoughts re: buying a race prepped 944 versus buying a donor car and building it out (I am not the most mechanically inclined and I think the latter would educate me in a way that will be most valuable in keeping costs down).

Steve

For what it's worth, the 944 Spec cars can also run in GTS1, so you can switch back and forth, or double-dip, as you see fit. One thing to keep in mind, though, and I'm sure there are many here who will confirm this, is that it is a truism of racing that you can always buy a finished race car a lot cheaper than you can build one. Maybe Eric can weigh in on that with regard to a 944 Spec--he has a lot of firsthand experience building them--but, generally, if you're trying to save money, find a good one that's already built and buy that. You'll get plenty of opportunity to learn how to fix it later.

Scott has made some really good points in his posts, as have others, but I will say the following:

• I started racing after only 4 track days and a school. I've never caused (or been involved in) an incident. I've never been lower than mid-pack in grids that were 40+ (and sometimes 50+). I was getting podiums my first season. I suspect, with your attitude, you would do at least as well.
  • With the possible exception of the "race what's popular" argument, don't let anyone else tell you what type of car to race. You will spend a lot of time and money in this hobby, and my personal experience is that you really, really need to a pick a car that excites you and that you will enjoy racing. Some people (not me), race cars in classes where there is hardly any participation and no real racing, but they get to drive the cars they love. Others don't care what they drive as long as they get to go door-to-door every time they're on track. Decide what it is about racing that appeals to you the most and act on it, but don't pick a car just because everyone says it's the "smart choice."

I see nothing wrong with advancing to racing W2W if your skills are pointing you that way. Hanging around in a DE enviro will only do you so much good and can actually hinder you a bit, depending on what DE enviro you're in. Example being, PCA DE vs. NASA HPDE. I'm not bashing PCA, as I did that for a number of years and they run a nice DE event. But your ability to improve your skills is limited on account of how they allow passing. Even in the advanced/instructor run group, you're pointing people by and not passing in turns. In NASA HPDE when you advance to group 4 or TT, its open passing and that helps you get out of what I have heard referred to as "DE mode" by my mentor, and start getting into a racing enviro. Still, even when you get into the race group, it takes some time to get out of DE mode.

That said, you're exactly right when you say you will be exposed to a whole new enviro when you join the racing ranks and may be at the tail end of the pack for a while. Don't let that concern you too much. Like Joon said, there's some people out there who've been doing W2W for a long time and still don't "get it," as marginal racers at best.

Most drivers of all classes have an inventory in their head of who each car is, regardless of class, and what each car's "game" is like on the track. Sure, your rookie plate will ID you as a newcomer. But it won't take racers long to realize you're a solid rookie if you are adjusting well to the race group and doing good things out there. What if you're a moving chicane at first? No big deal. Most people will have you pegged in their mind as such rather quickly and will be prepared to handle you accordingly.

That's not an insult. Just saying that's how people approach you as a driver. The NASA racers are a good group and it's not a highly adversarial relationship out there on the track. Sure there's high competitiveness. But there's not open/vocal negativity towards those who are not on the same pace as the hot lappers.

Cayman is a fantastic car and we've got a guy building one for this season (great, one more modern machine for my 1979 dinosaur to contend with.....) in the Midwest region. I know you said you ditched that idea. But if its still something you're considering for the future, let me know and i'll point you to him. There's another guy who ran a former Cayman Interseries car in GTSU (no dyno cert. to class the car) last season at one of our events and it looked like it would be quite competitive in a newcomer's hands in GTS-3

I agree you have to ID your goal before you pick a car. Otherwise you can end up spending a lot of money unneccessarily. Also make no mistake about it; if your car isn't optimized for your class, you will have a hard time being competitive. I took the run-as-is approach with my "new" car in 2010. Didn't take long for me to realize that just being out there wore off quick. Had to pony up and get the wt:pwr ratio near min. allowed, run the faster tires, develop the car some more to compete better. It worked. But it wasn't cheap.

At first I thought i'd just be content to be out there in the W2W enviro, regardless of how competetive i'd be. I'm not a rabid competitor at anything/everything and I don't feel the need to be the absolute best at everything I do. But for racing to be enjoyable (and justify the considerable cost to do it), I found that I had to be willing to improve the car, and most importantly me, to compete and beat them. Just turning laps out there got old real quick. I needed someone to race with in my class (note that out-of-class racing is frowned upon). So if you're just content to be out there and drive well, then DE is the way to go.

Since spec944 is popular in your area thats a strong option....also doubles as GTS1...so you could run two series if wanted.....

As others mentioned...its WORLDS cheaper to buy a built car than build one....by at least double....sure building one is fun.....but you did say you are not exactly a mechanic....so the built option sounds even better.....

Sorry to be late to the party, but the offseason has me less on this forum.

Steve, as the Rocky Mountain GTS director please feel free to contact me with any questions/concerns. This is a great organization, series and region to race with and we'd be honored to have you join us in our collective passion.

As stated earlier within NASA there are a couple of great options, including, but not limited to, GTS.

You can get a local spin/flavor on the various groups/series at our regional forum as well (http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nasa_forums/)

If you can send me your email i'll be sure to include you in my (soon to be sent) pre-season GTS email blast that will include details on the series and our region's schedule of events.

Email: garrett.walz at gmail.com

Phone: 303-328-76 one three

Cheers !

_ Garrett

• 1 month later...

I'd buy a Spec 944 and race there for a season or so to get your "racing legs". It is an inexpensive (relative) car to race and you'll develop faster with a lower HP,momentum car IMHO...I started out with a full blown 964 carrera cup car and really wasn't very good in comparison with the other racers in GTS...I was safe, considerate, and super slow! After I built (shoulda bought!) my 944 it started to gel and after a few seasons there started getting podiums. Just my 1 cent.

Buy something cheap (relative with P-cars) that you can beat on and learn. There are so many reasonably priced race cars available today, building one is a waste of time & money outside the education factor. I like the Boxster/Cayman platform for learning, dependability, and they're great handling cars out of the box. You don't need to spend gazillions making one work well for the track.

Once you're settled with a car, the best advise I can give you is hire a private coach for a day or two and then do it again a few months later and on down the road. Don't allow yourself to develop less than perfect racing habits. They're hard to rid youself of. PCA's direction is primarily safety not proficiency. I still use the same coach who I had at Skip Barber 20 years ago. He just happens to live in Monument when he's not racing in Grand Am or still instructing for the Skippy schools. PM me if you want his contact info....

Thanks again for all of the replies.

My plan is coming together. I have decided to buy an already built Boxster or 944 (that order of preference) - prepped to Spec so I can run Spec and/or GTS. Due to a tremendous amount on my plate at work and home, this likely won't happen until the end of this coming race season.

I will do probably 4 or 5 PCA DE weekends this year, and am looking into some SCCA or NASA DEs, Solo, Time Trial type events, as well as some AutoX - all in my 07 4S.

I am in preliminary discussions with a couple of potential coaches that I hope to work with this year. One I do not know - the other I know well and respect as a driver and person. And JR is sending me the name of another (I think I know) whom I will reach out to.

So this year will give me more seat time and more personalized instruction, and I will start working for the necessary license to race in a wheel-to-wheel environment come next season.

Steve