Classing points question regarding non-DOT-approved tires

jeffm5150

I've got non-DOT-approved Hoosier 165/70-10 tires (for a classic Mini) that I'm trying to figure out the correct TT points deduction. They don't seem to fall into any of the seven categories listed in the classing form but it seems reasonable that there would be a deduction for these tires.

a) they are non-DOT-approved

b) they are not racing slicks (I assume since they have a tread pattern)

c) according to Hoosier these tires don't have an official UTQG treadwear rating, but they said unofficially it is around 80-120.

So, can I even run these tires in NASA TT? And if so, which points deduction is appropriate (if any)?

For reference here's information on the tire:

http://www.hoosiertire.com/pdfs/pb44391.pdf

Thanks for any insight into this question.

1) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires: BFG R1S, Hoosier Wet DOT (if used in dry conditions—see

section 6.7) + 15

2 ) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires: BFG R1, Goodyear Eagle RS AC (auto-cross), Hankook Z214 (C90 &

C91 compounds only), Hoosier A6 +13

3 ) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires and those with a UTQG treadwear rating of 40 or less not otherwise

listed in these rules: Maxxis RC-1 (examples: Goodyear Eagle RS, Hankook Z214 (C71, C70, C51, C50), Hoosier

R6, Kumho V710, etc.)(note: GACTSCC tires OK) +10

4 ) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires: Toyo Proxes RR, Hankook TD +9

Cup, Nitto NT01, Pirelli PZero Corsa, Toyo R888, Toyo RA-1, Yokahama A048, etc) +7

5 ) DOT-approved R-compound tires with a UTQG treadwear rating of 50 to 130 (ex. Kumho V700, Michelin Pilot Sport

Cup, Nitto NT01, Pirelli PZero Corsa, Toyo R888, Toyo RA-1, Yokahama A048, etc) +7

6 ) DOT-approved (non-R-compound) tires with a UTQG treadwear rating of 120-200 (examples: Toyo R1R, Dunlop

Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, Kumho Ecsta XS, Yokohama Advan A046 & Neova

AD08, Hankook R-S3) +2

7) Non-DOT-approved racing slicks +30 (of any origin—re-caps and re-treads are not permitted)

Based on the fact that they are non-DOT, do not have a treadwear rating, and there is no specific exception for them (as with the CTSCC Continental/Hoosier tires), I would assess +30 per A7.

As an extreme example, a set of intermediate Pirellis from Vettel's car would have a tread pattern and be non-DOT for +30.

This likely falls under the "if it's not worth the points, then don't use it" category, although it's probably impossible to find a DOT R-comp tire for a 10" wheel. Can you put some blingy 13s on it, or would you have to jack it up like a donk?

Mark

1) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires: BFG R1S, Hoosier Wet DOT (if used in dry conditions—see

section 6.7) + 15

2 ) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires: BFG R1, Goodyear Eagle RS AC (auto-cross), Hankook Z214 (C90 &

C91 compounds only), Hoosier A6 +13

3 ) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires and those with a UTQG treadwear rating of 40 or less not otherwise

listed in these rules: Maxxis RC-1 (examples: Goodyear Eagle RS, Hankook Z214 (C71, C70, C51, C50), Hoosier

R6, Kumho V710, etc.)(note: GACTSCC tires OK) +10

4 ) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires: Toyo Proxes RR, Hankook TD +9

5 ) DOT-approved R-compound tires with a UTQG treadwear rating of 50 to 130 (ex. Kumho V700, Michelin Pilot Sport

6 ) DOT-approved (non-R-compound) tires with a UTQG treadwear rating of 120-200 (examples: Toyo R1R, Dunlop

Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, Bridgestone Potenza RE070, Kumho Ecsta XS, Yokohama Advan A046 & Neova

AD08, Hankook R-S3) +2

7) Non-DOT-approved racing slicks +30 (of any origin—re-caps and re-treads are not permitted)

Based on the fact that they are non-DOT, do not have a treadwear rating, and there is no specific exception for them (as with the CTSCC Continental/Hoosier tires), I would assess +30 per A7.

As an extreme example, a set of intermediate Pirellis from Vettel's car would have a tread pattern and be non-DOT for +30.

This likely falls under the "if it's not worth the points, then don't use it" category, although it's probably impossible to find a DOT R-comp tire for a 10" wheel. Can you put some blingy 13s on it, or would you have to jack it up like a donk?

Mark

As far as I can determine the _only_ DOT-approved 165-70/10 tire is the Yoko A008 road tire which I use as a road tire (hard as a brick). There are only about 3 decent softer compound tires but they are all non-DOT-approved. If +30 is the only result then my situation is pretty clear. No, running anything larger than 10" is not really an option.

I will be contacting Hoosier today to attempt to get a treadwear rating or rating range in writing for the HO T.D.S.

Can you put some blingy 13s on it, or would you have to jack it up like a donk?

Mark

A Honda Challenge 2 car that runs 15x7 and 225/45R15 and put 18x7 and 225/40R18 on it...

31568344.jpg

I will be contacting Hoosier today to attempt to get a treadwear rating or rating range in writing for the HO T.D.S.

It would be better to directly contact the National TT Director (Greg Greenbaum) with your situation before asking Hoosier for information that may or may not be acceptable to the National TT Director.

Mark

• National Staff

It would be better to directly contact the National TT Director (Greg Greenbaum) with your situation before asking Hoosier for information that may or may not be acceptable to the National TT Director.

Mark

Too late. Hoosier is e-mailing me about this already

BTW, I remember when someone (who shall remain nameless) attempted to educate us on these forums because we didn't know that ANY car can use a 255/35-18. Yes, I did go there.