n80

First trip to RRR

n80

I've driven CMP 8 or 9 times. I've driven it twice in DE-2 with NASA and twice at the DE-2 level with other groups. I'm hoping to go to Savannah with NASA in April. Would it be reasonable to sign up for DE-2 and just request an instructor for a couple of sessions or should I sign up for DE-1?

Also, is there a preferred hotel......or hotels to avoid?

Anything I need to do or bring that would be different from CMP? I understand RRR is easier on brakes?

Thanks.

MR_E

There's really only one heavy braking zone at RRR, so it is indeed much easier on brakes than CMP. You'll definitely want to grab an instructor if you sign up for 2 - the corners on the back side of that track are eerily similar to each other and it can be easy to lose your place on track until you start picking up landmarks. I spent the first half day just trying to figure out which corner I was in. Having said that, it is a lot of fun to drive.

kbrew8991

bring stuff to rotate tires, it's tough on the left sides

it's alot more fun than it looks on paper, you're carrying some fairly high corner speeds through most of the lap

drivinhardz06
bring stuff to rotate tires, it's tough on the left sides

it's alot more fun than it looks on paper, you're carrying some fairly high corner speeds through most of the lap

this

braknl8

George, you'll be perfectly fine in de2 with an instructor for a session or two, for new track familiarity. April will be my first time there as well so can't comment on the other ?'s.

n80

Just bought a new cordless impact wrench for rotating tires!

n80
George, you'll be perfectly fine in de2 with an instructor for a session or two, for new track familiarity. April will be my first time there as well so can't comment on the other ?'s.

Cool, glad you're going to be there too. I'm hoping I can get everything together to make the trip. I'm going to borrow a trailer from a friend........I need to buy a trailer......I hate using other people's stuff..........I seem to remember someone saying that this was going to get expensive.....

Anyone know the availability of electrical hook ups at RRR vs CMP?

braknl8

Cool, glad you're going to be there too. I'm hoping I can get everything together to make the trip. I'm going to borrow a trailer from a friend........I need to buy a trailer......I hate using other people's stuff..........I seem to remember someone saying that this was going to get expensive.....

Anyone know the availability of electrical hook ups at RRR vs CMP?

I'm in the same boat...slippery slope we are on, my brother!

My wife is in accounting so I'll probably be skinned alive for leaving town over the weekend of the 15th but I'll be in track mode so she'll have to catch me...

brkntrxn

You are fine in DE2. See about getting an instructor for a session. Or simply find someone in DE2 that knows the line that will let you follow them for a session.

Hotels are all good. The ones back over by the airport are all new(ish) and good.

Don't piss off the old man, don't kick any of his cats, bring something to cover your stuff under the pine trees for the sap, and bring ant spray for when you get attacked.

Roebling is a simple track, but one of my favorites.

braknl8

...and don't forget the rattlesnake anti-venom in case you make it into the tire barriers.

n80
Don't pee-piddily-diddily off the old man, don't kick any of his cats,

The old man? Jim Pantas?

braknl8
Don't pee-piddily-diddily off the old man, don't kick any of his cats,

The old man? Jim Pantas?

No, apparently it's an older-can-be-grumpy-if-you-rub-him-wrong guy that owns RRR and all the cats.

Lucid Moments

The old man is a reference to track management. It is actually a couple and they live on site. They have a reputation for being........... difficult to deal with. I've never had a problem with them but other have. Track management does not actually own the track, IIRC it is owned by the SCCA Buccaneer Region.

kbrew8991

Don't jump the fence, don't make noise early in the morning, don't mess with animals... etc.. and they won't mess with you. Generally...

Common sense type stuff, but, you know drivers

ME2z
I've driven CMP 8 or 9 times. I've driven it twice in DE-2 with NASA and twice at the DE-2 level with other groups. I'm hoping to go to Savannah with NASA in April. Would it be reasonable to sign up for DE-2 and just request an instructor for a couple of sessions or should I sign up for DE-1?

Also, is there a preferred hotel......or hotels to avoid?

Anything I need to do or bring that would be different from CMP? I understand RRR is easier on brakes?

Thanks.

George,

I would highly recommend coming to Road Atlanta. RRR is fun but does not compare to RA.

n80

Mike, I do hope to come to RA, but no way I can make it in March. I'm pencilling in the Sept date with NASA.

laze1

Your Z-Car will love Roebling...very good track for the charecteristics of the Z...

I LOVE running RRR...

Cooper93

George, I should be there in DE-4 but I can jump in with DE-2 if you can't find anyone to ride with you or let you follow. I'll be in a white WRX (2002). RRR is definitely an interesting track. Each turn on the back side is different, but they look strikingly similar. Just remember these two things: don't lose your brakes and go off track left at T1 and don't go off track right at T3.

robbodleimages

rrr is my favorite track to go to. its no my favorite track per say, road atlanta or vir are, but i like going to and being at rrr more.

dont speed in the paddock and run your race engines after hours and you will be fine.

the track itself is a blast. it makes for great side by side racing. the turn in and apexs are not what they appear to be.

PushinTheLimit

First time I ever went to RRR was September 2011 and I ran ST2 that weekend. It was quite the learning curve as my first session was Thunder Warmup and my 2nd was during qualifying. I spend a couple of days just watching videos of RRR on youtube making sure I knew the track, the line and the braking zones. I had a great battle with Falcon and Tim M. that event and it came down to the last lap and I spun it in the last turn. I was lucky to not hit the wall as many others have trying to save it.

Here's the video... it's kind of long, but the end is interesting.

n80

Thanks for all the info guys. Cooper, I will look for you there if I can make it. I like CMP (an hour from my house) and I'm getting to know it pretty well, but it is time to start driving some different tracks and RR seems like a good next step and it looks like the April date works out well for me.

I'll spend some time watching videos (thanks Pushin) to familiarize myself with the track. Looks like a lot fewer shifts than CMP.

robbodleimages

seriously?? you dont shift?? once?

n80
seriously?? you dont shift?? once?

Me? I downshift at 1, 8, 11 and maybe 14 at CMP. Not sure about RR but it looks like maybe just one downshift at the end of the long straight.

08Bullitt0572

I went to RRR once. Yawn. I might go again in conjunction with the Savannah Mustang Club car show in October, but that is it. It takes almost as much time and money for me to go to CMP, which is one of my favorites. This spring I am putting most of my money into a trip to Barber and VIR (North & Full). I would like to fit RA in later this year.

mhoward1

RRR is a blast, and the evenings in Savannah on river street makes things even better. I'd recommend the trip.

I will say that it's a momentum track and a driver is a point and shoot driver it can be a bit boring. But if turn 3 and the hard braking into 4 scares you a bit the you are doing it right.