n80

First trip to RRR

robbodleimages
You omitted T8/9

RRR is a blast, and the evenings in Savannah on river street makes things even better. I'd recommend the trip.

I will say that it's a momentum track and a driver is a point and shoot driver it can be a bit boring. But if turn 3 and the hard braking into 4 scares you a bit the you are doing it right.

I likes my elevation changes too, and RRR is as flat as an A-cup.

how can you say cmp is a favorite and then blast roebling for being flat? we do all have our preferences. personally amp is a waste of time and you list it as a favorite. cmp is really hard on equipment particularly on heavy cars like our mustangs while roebling is only hard on tires.

of course i am a racer. you couldnt pay me to try and race at amp.

08Bullitt0572

how can you say cmp is a favorite and then blast roebling for being flat? we do all have our preferences. personally amp is a waste of time and you list it as a favorite. cmp is really hard on equipment particularly on heavy cars like our mustangs while roebling is only hard on tires.

of course i am a racer. you couldnt pay me to try and race at amp.

Like I said, to each his own. Roebling has its merits and I liked it for being different, but I have a pretty limited amount of disposable income to spend so it is a matter of personal choice how to spend it. CMP is mostly flat but has a lot of technical turns and is fun to me. I wasn't really all that impressed with AMP either to tell you the truth, and for the price I would rather go to Barber or RA. RA is my #1 favorite local to me. I will be going to Barber next month and VIR in May, so I am looking forward to those but they will blow most of my DE budget for the year.

robbodleimages

my main issue was the comment about cmp being a favorite and rrr not being good because it is a cup flat. the flattest track in our area is cmp.

roebling actually does have elevation change. there is nothing like the soup bowl at cmp.

vir is probably the best road course in the country. its road atlanta plus another 3/4 of a mile of good stuff added on. barber.....if you like cmp, you will like barber. i both tracks dont really allow you to go fast. you are turning a lot. barber is prettier and doesnt sandblast your car.

cmp allows for more racing than barber though.

braknl8

I typically rotate my tires at the end of each DE day but looking at this track and some of the posts would you all that have ran there recommend rotating after every other, or even every DE session?

robbodleimages

i think that would depend on the session lenth. for a racer practice and qualifying are too short to have to rotate. if you are tt'ing, same can me true. 30 minute sessions would be different

Lucid Moments
I typically rotate my tires at the end of each DE day but looking at this track and some of the posts would you all that have ran there recommend rotating after every other, or even every DE session?

Depends a certain amount on the car I suppose but for DE no more often than every other session. My car is easy on tires so I would only do it once a weekend myself,

n80

It is starting to look like it is going to work out from me to make it to RR in April. A buddy (the guy in the yellow Mustang in my sig line) is willing to lend me his trailer. My wife is on board so I'm starting to look forward to making the trip and running RR.

A couple of more questions:

It looks like the paddock and everything else are inside the track. How do they manage folks coming and going during the event?

What about gas? I know they have it at the track but is there anywhere close that sells 93 octane for less than typical track prices?

Thanks.

nhallman

Cars entering the paddock have to cross the track near Start/Finish, and are required to wait at the gate until there is a break between sessions.

There's a Chevron at the corner of Zeigler and Hwy 80, < 5 mins from the track.

BTW, I think this was already plugged in another thread, but if you can make it down a day early, SeatTime runs a really good event. Small groups on track, lots of track time.

ME2z
It is starting to look like it is going to work out from me to make it to RR in April. A buddy (the guy in the yellow Mustang in my sig line) is willing to lend me his trailer. My wife is on board so I'm starting to look forward to making the trip and running RR.

A couple of more questions:

It looks like the paddock and everything else are inside the track. How do they manage folks coming and going during the event?

What about gas? I know they have it at the track but is there anywhere close that sells 93 octane for less than typical track prices?

Thanks.

Once you are there, you are stuck. Just kidding. They let people go in and out between sessions if there is time and during lunch. Just make sure you are ready to go. There is a small gas station a mile outside the track and there are several down the road. I usually go during lunch to fill up and get a bite to eat. You are going to enjoy the track. The Z works great on it. Except, that my legs get tired from holding myself in the seat

n80
Once you are there, you are stuck.

So much for my wife going!

They let people go in and out between sessions if there is time and during lunch. Just make sure you are ready to go. There is a small gas station a mile outside the track and there are several down the road. I usually go during lunch to fill up and get a bite to eat. You are going to enjoy the track. The Z works great on it. Except, that my legs get tired from holding myself in the seat

Thanks Mike.

John Evans said he used to wear knee pads before he got a racing seat. So I got some cheap foam ones from Home Depot and used them at CMP last month. They actually help a lot. I might look doofy driving in contractor knee pads but no raw place on my left knee and legs were much less sore.

PushinTheLimit

John Evans said he used to wear knee pads before he got a racing seat. So I got some cheap foam ones from Home Depot and used them at CMP last month. They actually help a lot. I might look doofy driving in contractor knee pads but no raw place on my left knee and legs were much less sore.

I wore a knee pad on my left leg when I used to autocross because without a good seat in a C5 Z06, my knee would be up against the side speaker and acted like a cheesegrater to it. It certainly helps.

There will be a line of vehicles waiting to get out and you better be in it and ready to go or you won't get out until lunch or at the end of the day. As for the wife or girlfriend, Pooler has some nice shopping areas and restaurants that aren't too far away from the track that could occupy their time.

topmover1

Im not sure it was answered directly...............is there fuel available at the track itself? I hope to make it down next month.

thanks

SNAKBITN

Yes fuel is available at the track.

Robert

n80
Can't speak for NASA but passing is usually on the straight, between 2-3 and between 7-8

Thanks. Anyone know if this is true for NASA also? Jim usually goes over this at the driver's meeting but I have registered for DE-2 and sometimes DE-2 has their first session prior to classroom time......so I need to know where I need to let people get by me.

ME2z
Can't speak for NASA but passing is usually on the straight, between 2-3 and between 7-8

Thanks. Anyone know if this is true for NASA also? Jim usually goes over this at the driver's meeting but I have registered for DE-2 and sometimes DE-2 has their first session prior to classroom time......so I need to know where I need to let people get by me.

I'm not sure about the first session, but usually those are passing zones for DE2. The straight from 2-3 is not very long since it is a transition between corners. I would highly recommend having an instructor ride with you to learn the correct line. RR is an easy track to learn but a difficult track to master.

n80

Agree and I have requested an instructor. I'll get them (or anyone else who is willing) to ride with me for a session or two.

Toilets

Kevin,

are you going to RRR?

phat ralph
Kevin,

are you going to RRR?

Man! You just need to register and come down to Roebling. It is going to be a BLAST!

Emmanuel B.

Turns 8-1, 2-3, 7-8 will be the passing zones enforced for this event; however, 2-3 may not be allowed as a passing zone until later in the weekend. This will be clarified in the classroom.

Adding to everyone else, focusing on your lines and not worrying about the speed will deliver the most benefit over the weekend as you learn this track.

n80

I might try to get a ride along with somebody too. That probably helps me as much or more than anything in terms of seeing the right line.

Varkwso

John Evans and knee pads. Explains a lot.