NOOBIE!!!

Dowski12

All my Audi really needs to be race ready is a cage, seats and harnesses. The only problem is I'm really not interested in putting it into a wall after the 20K or so I have invested in it. I know the car could handle the track with no issues. Its been built to take some serious punishment, but for a noob like me, 550awhp seems like it can get away from you fast on a track. I mentioned before that I was probably going to make a custom flash tune with a substantially lower boost cap, probably keeping the car around the 300-350hp range while I improve my driving skills. Also throwing around the idea of getting a dedicated track car. Only thing about that is I would really like to get my car out there and see if it suits me or not. Would really hate to pick up a second car and find out I would have been alright driving my Audi, and could have saved a pretty penny for some extra tack time. Not really too thrilled about learning on an AWD car either. I'm more interested in improving my driving then being able to get around the track as fast as possible right off the get go. I feel like the AWD will cover up my mistakes a bit, and help form some bad habits without even realizing it. Obiviously I have no experience to back that up, based solely on what I have read. Some clearification would be much appreciated.

Is anyone else rocking AWD on the track? If so, how do you like it? Have you driven any other kind of layout on the track, what are the differences?

When I first started driving on track, I used my 2001 Audi S4 with stage 3 components (K04 turbos, larger fuel injectors, plus AWE intercoolers so say 400+ hp and torque at the engine), and it was definitely fun how fast it accelerated and passed most cars on track. The car had a nice suspension (Ohlins with 700F/800R springs) plus Brembo 355mm front 4piston brakes, so handled and stopped pretty well being that it weighs up around 3500lbs. The car also had lots of grip accelerating out of corners (like turn 4 at Infineon). I really wasn't driving the car that hard in the corners, but it was still pretty fast around the courses. Eventually I thought it would be better/cheaper/safer to have a full track car with full roll cage, 5 or 6 pt harness etc., so I got a 2000 Civic hatch race car with ITR engine and full cage, so around 2300 lbs with fairly good horsepower with rev limiter at 8500 rpm so fun on track, plus easier to work on and cheaper to repair when things break, plus tires and brakes are much less expensive.

When you go to the track, see if you can ride as a passenger in some car models that you might consider possibly buying (like a Spec E30). In Calif, instructors often run in HPDE-4, so if you hang around their area 10' before the HPDE-4 session with your helmet, then you might be able to ride along, but I'm not sure how they do it at your tracks. I rode along in a low powered Civic that was driven by an instructor in HPDE-4 at Infineon and that helped sell me on the possibility of buying one. Personally, when I was looking at various cars, I felt that the Miata was too small for me, but the E30 seemed like a good fit.

PS - if you do decide to buy a used race car, then if you're not familiar with roll cages, then get someone to inspect it to make sure that the welds are done correctly so you won't need to redo it which can get really expensive... - Jim

I have been looking into civic's myself. Seems like it would be a pretty easy car to budget for track use, only problem is I know I would get flamed by my euro buddys (not fans of honda's in the slightest), but honestly who cares what they think. Most of them are part of the low and slow crowd anyway . At this point, I'm really excited to hit the track, so I'll mostly likely follow what seems to be the general consensus and drive my car (go slow mode of course). Thanks for all the info and suggestions fellas, they are much appreciated.

Stephen, not sure where you are from as I didn't read every post. Lots of good advice in this thread. A dedicated, lower cost, lower HP track car will be worth every penny and small headache. I went from tracking my daily driver to a Spec E30, and it's so much more fun to not have to worry about stone chips, tire marks, etc and be able to buy fairly affordable rubber, brake pads and rotors, etc. The car is a total blast to drive and doesn't seem slow at all when I'm out there thrashing on it. If you're coming to VIR later this month, it has a passenger seat you're welcome to take for a session.

That would be awesome, but VIR is quite a ways away from Utah:lol:. Hopefully I can get a ride with someone at MMP at the end of this month. I think it would definitley help in deciding the route I want to go. An E30 sounds like it would be alot of fun and a far better option than my audi at this point. I still really want to see how my car does on the track before I jump into a dedicated track car. Honestly, my car is pretty scratched up from the first shop that had my car. They weren't careful at all, chipped paint on the edge of the doors from someone hitting the lift repeatedly, scratched wheels from an intercooler being placed on the face and then spun when someone walked by and accidentally kicked it, the list goes on. Needless to say that a few rock chips now, wouldn't get me too butt hurt. If it turns out that I'm comfortable with my car on the track, then it'll probably be my dedicated track car. I think if I was going to go all out with it, then it would help me come to terms with the inevitable damage that the car will sustain at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You

Totally agree. This forum is excellent!!! Lots of knowledge and experience to take advantage of...Thanks everyone.