RR tread splices

mwh911rs

well, after qualifying and racing at VIR the other weekend, my inspection of the new RRs revealed 3 of 4 tires with a visible tread splice. Anyone else see this? granted I did spin in T10 during the race, but nothing too significant. I will post some pictures asap. one or two look pretty similar to what is shown in the Toyo advisory, the other isn't quite as distinct.

Mark, can you post some pictures of the damage? Between this and robs picture of a chorded tire on face book im getting nervous about these RR's.

Rob was running RA1s

Mark...are your RR's mounted per the instructions per the advisory? Picts would be nice.

yes i was. Keep in mind, he advisory doesn't say that it won't happen if you follow the directions, it specifies tire mounting and rotation recommendations to minimize the possibility of them appearing and making the condition worse. I did have a spin and that would put a tremendous amount of shear into the tire, so maybe that contributed to it. I will post pics later. they may or may not be bad, but the fact that I got them the first time out sux. I will rotate them per the instructions and run them in March. It is another thing to have to worry about.

Mark, can you post some pictures of the damage? Between this and robs picture of a chorded tire on face book im getting nervous about these RR's.

Mark is correct, Sean. I was running hand-me-down RA1s that got a lot of use last season. I only used them on Friday for comp school, then pulled them for the rest of the weekend.

I'm sticking with RA1s for now, as I'm still getting my feet wet with this whole racing business.

seeing the splice is one thing. do they have a history of separating/failing?

they don't have a long history Pete....they are new. I am talking with Phil about it. It is not unexpected...I just don't like seeing it the first time out in 3 of 4 tires. If the tires aren't rotated properly, then Toyo indicates that there is the potential for the splice to open up (that is the subject of the advisory). it is probably not a problem, just an additional thing to keep track of.

seeing the splice is one thing. do they have a history of separating/failing?

they don't have a long history Pete....they are new.

That was my point.

From another forum:

I find this part funny... "The appearance of a visible tread splice is not a defect in the tire.", immediately followed by, "However, unless appropriate steps are taken, this condition may result in an open tread splice, which will require the tire to be immediately removed from service and replaced."

So, it's not a defect, but it applies to this specific tire enough to issue a TSB about it, and oh by the way, it can ruin the tire. But it's not a defect!

Very glad I don't have to deal with the Toyo monopoly these days.

• Members

Mark's photos and sequence of events have been provided directly to the National office. I will advise on their response.

Mark, your spin was fairly short lived as a large amount of your rotational movement was in the grass. Additionally, a simple spin should not cause a tire to begin separating.

Someone else asked about contingency, yes Spec3 does receive Toyo contingency dollars.

Mark's photos and sequence of events have been provided directly to the National office. I will advise on their response.

Mark, your spin was fairly short lived as a large amount of your rotational movement was in the grass. Additionally, a simple spin should not cause a tire to begin separating.

Someone else asked about contingency, yes Spec3 does receive Toyo contingency dollars.

Thanks for taking this up Jon. Well, the spin was pretty low-key, but as a "researcher" i am always throwing out all the ideas that come to mind...hahaha, it is my curse.

Just so everyone knows, i was more just letting people know what I saw in my tires and to see if anyone else saw the minor splice indications. As Toyo states, this can happen and the advisory is there to keep it from becoming a problem. I had no intention of making it into a red flag...just an awareness.

Just so everyone knows, i was more just letting people know what I saw in my tires and to see if anyone else saw the minor splice indications. As Toyo states, this can happen and the advisory is there to keep it from becoming a problem. I had no intention of making it into a red flag...just an awareness.

yep...taken just as that, although I did actually envision you taking measurements...noting starting and ending pressures and noting which tire was on which corner....(track temps/wind sheer/angle of the sun/rotational mass...and so on)

Which makes me think...of the four - which corner did not show the evidence of splice? Right front?

not liking this. We should allow lower race weight for RA1s this season while these new RRs get "broken in". Would let us use up our tires as well.

I just lost 13 pounds by dieting with the wifey

There are quite a few items I could remove - wiring, heater core, blower. How much you wanna lose?

• Members

Hopefully a more reasonable set of weather conditions in March will prove the RR's to be fully reliable.

No doubt it is an issue we are all going to watch closely.

• 4 weeks later...
Hopefully a more reasonable set of weather conditions in March will prove the RR's to be fully reliable.

so, what's the report? how'd they hold up? anyone else see issues?

so, what's the report? how'd they hold up? anyone else see issues?

they seemed to do much better. I had Phil look at the tires after every session and they seem to be clearing up. took photos to send to Toyo.

We we keep everyone posted.

• 6 years later...
On 2/26/2013 at 10:20 PM, Jon M. said:

Mark, your spin was fairly short lived as a large amount of your rotational movement was in the grass mutuelles TNS. Additionally, a simple spin should not cause a tire to begin separating.

It may be the hub that was not tightened properly and that caused the tires to come off.