First-Ever NASA Spec Iron Race makes history! (Video Too)

tacovini

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The first round of the NASA-SE 2013 season took place the weekend of Feb 9-10, 2013 at Carolina Motorsport Park in Kershaw, SC. In what was to be the very first Spec Iron (SI) race for this brand new class under the NASA American Iron umbrella, three competitors were signed up. Chris Ferraro (2012 CMC National Champion), in a 2005 Mustang, Ed McGuire (2012 NASA-SE AIX Champion) in his 2008 Mustang, and Team Ray-cin (2011 NASA-SE CMC2 Champion) in their 2007 Mustang (father/son team).

From the first practice session on Saturday, it was clearly evident that these cars were going to be very close as far as track times are concerned which would hopefully make for some very close and exciting racing. Saturday’s race turned out to be pretty uneventful as all three competitors were on older tires at various stages of their life cycle, so the times varied and not much close racing was had. After a strong qualifying run, James Ray set a qualifying time of 1:47.505 to take the pole and give his son Taylor Ray the top spot as he was going to be driving the race. Ferraro would post a 1:49.529 and McGuire a 1:49.575 – separated by only 5/100ths of a second. However, because of being late to grid, T. Ray would lose the qualifying position and have to start behind the pack. Therefore, when the green flag dropped, Ferraro jumped out in the lead and pretty much checked out. T. Ray eventually caught McGuire and the two battled a couple of laps before T. Ray would get around McGuire and check out. This is the way it would end when the checkered flag flew – Ferraro 1st, T. Ray 2nd, and McGuire 3rd.

Sunday’s race would prove to be VERY different. After some tire changing, suspension tweaks/setups, and Saturday night shenanigans, Sunday’s qualifying times by all three competitors were within less than .5 second of each other. Ferraro would end up securing the pole position with a 1:47.458 with McGuire right behind him with a 1:47.799 and Team Ray-cin with a 1:48.040. All of a sudden, all three competitors were looking at each with big grins on their faces knowing that the makings of a very close and exciting race were in play. Throw in the fact that it was decided that the Thunder Race Group would be doing a standing start for this 45 minute race, this couldn’t get any better. When the green flag dropped and all the tire smoke cleared, Ferraro once again was able to jump out into the lead. However, McGuire and T. Ray were not going to let him get away this time. After turn one, it was Ferraro, Ray, and McGuire nose to tail. As some of the traffic from the other faster classes begin weeding their way through, McGuire was able to get around Ray and by the end of the second lap, it was Ferraro, McGuire, and Ray and still nose to tail. For the next 40 minutes of this 45 minute race, this would be the order with all three competitors pressuring the racer in front of him, fighting off the racer behind him, or both and doing their best to not make any mistakes! The racing was so close and exciting the corner workers were calling in and commenting on how good the SI race was going. Then, on the lap before the last one, Ray made an awesome move on McGuire to the inside of the last turn before the front straight away to capture the second position. As the three went blasting down the front straight away, they all could see the white flag waving. McGuire knew that he only had one more lap to set up a pass to retake Ray for 2nd and Ray knew the same if he wanted to pass Ferraro for the win, but it was not to be as all three made sure not to make any last lap mistakes and use all the defensives lines they could. When the checker flag was waved, all three were nose to tail crossing the finish line as Chris Ferraro would once again bring home the win, with Taylor Ray in 2nd and Ed McGuire in 3rd.

858561_488895487814528_746194950_o.jpg

Respectfully Submitted,

Ed McGuire - AI/AIX/CMC/SI Director, NASA-SE

In car race footage here....

James ray your front bumper cover is not legal ...please report to the tech shed...

good lord , I see chris F is still running that 410 Ed... And I see he doesn't have the racing abs either and you do .

Edited by Guest

The white car was placed on double probation with a stern warning for not having the required windshield banner.

We expect all Spec Iron cars to be fully compliant with the rules with zero tolerance.

-=- The Management

I watched the video and pretty sure I found the part this picture was taken from. Chris braked late and drove way deep into the corner. Ed followed and looks like he did the same thing making them both go wide. Jr obviously got that corner right.

From the looks of it chris f had the lead but it doesn't look like anyone got away from each other which is what I like

Goes to show you that if you have more horsepower you can drive like crap and still pass the guy (second place who should have won) on the straight. (Rolling eyes). The second place driver had a lot better line and driving style yet still gets stomped in a straight line. Guess power is still better to have even if you have to add a bunch of weight!

Goes to show you that if you have more horsepower you can drive like crap and still pass the guy (second place who should have won) on the straight. (Rolling eyes). The second place driver had a lot better line and driving style yet still gets stomped in a straight line. Guess power is still better to have even if you have to add a bunch of weight!

Wow.

If you think winning races is about "driving the correct line" you better stick to TT'in or something else Suck. The cars were equipped very different from each other, than it appears (we were not all completely Spec compliant at the time).

But you are right, I do need to learn how to drive less like crap, and get some more Style into my driving.. I think I'm going to start with that new pink Bell helmet..

But all ridiculousness aside.. This is going to be a great class to run.

And Ed, thanks for not divulging too much info about the Sat. night shenanigans in your report. I think most of the events from that night were illegal (at least in our state), as well as dove deep into some moral dilemmas That was a night for the record books.

Edited by Guest

WOW...Buahhahaha .

• Members

First, I'd like to say that I think the biggest difference in the cars was the gearing, not the HP. As adjustment and changes are made to become more in line with the rules I think this will be apparent.

Second, my hats off to all of us drivers for close, clean racing. Believe me, Chris F. is a very skilled and savvy racer. He wouldn’t be the 2012 CMC National Champion if he wasn’t… He was having to drive a defensive line to keep me in check and I learned A TON chasing him. Things might be a little different the next time we meet on track cause I now gotta big ole pocket full of new tricks to try!

Hopefully, I will be getting the video from Team Ray-cin’s car who was chasing me the whole time and it should be an even better viewpoint as it will have all of us in view.

Thanks for all the kind comments and remarks and hopefully we will bring more close racing footage to the internet.

Ed

• 1 month later...

Hopefully, I will be getting the video from Team Ray-cin’s car who was chasing me the whole time and it should be an even better viewpoint as it will have all of us in view.

Ed

For those that have been asking (or, just for your viewing pleasure .. Late, but here it is

Guess power is still better to have even if you have to add a bunch of weight!

I'm having trouble thinking of an instance on a road course where that would be true.

I'm having trouble thinking of an instance on a road course where that would be true.

About any track with a long straight on it .

Thanks Tim. Looks like close racing is going to be par for this class.

And some deserved plugs...

The first and second place cars were Poe Motorsports built cars (National and Regional Championship cars btw).

Ford Racing is awsome! Outstanding contingencies, fast cars, and go fast parts! Many thanks to them for their continued support for us racers and this new exciting class!

And speaking of support.. Rehagan Racing should be the go to place for all your Spec/FR parts and racing needs. They have been around and supplying/supporting NASA racers for years. Dean is not only cool and fast as heck but is extremely helpful in making you the same (al least in becoming faster.. the cool aspect is more up to you

About any track with a long straight on it .

...guess that'll teach me about making vague, blanket statements.