DE3 Passing Question

braknl8

Keep in mind, as well, the SE Region issues a yellow number 4 to drivers in DE3 who want one. This signifies to other drivers that s/he is comfortable with you passing them anywhere on the track without giving you a point-by. It was made yellow & a little difficult to spot on purpose to develop driver awareness. So, if you end up riding the bumper of someone for a few turns & you don't get a point by, look hard for that "4" because odds are, you missed it.

Thanks for posting this, Sonny. Good info as I didn't know that and we have a track session prior to classroom. Just to be clear, yellow "4", pass anywhere, w/out point?....is it on the bumper or rear windshield?

Thanks,

Chris

Something I've seen with some Texas area DE clubs that might be something to consider adopting is they have a driver tap the rear view mirror with thier hand as an indicator of "yes, I see you and will give a point but just not yet". Reduces incidents if red mist / track rage to know if and when someone sees you close up on them or not.

^ in Florida this is the right-hand-high-wave down the center of the car in HPDE1-2-3. Demonstrated at every all hands meeting. "I see you back there Mr. Miata, I will point you by as soon as I can."

Thanks for posting this, Sonny. Good info as I didn't know that and we have a track session prior to classroom. Just to be clear, yellow "4", pass anywhere, w/out point?....is it on the bumper or rear windshield?

Thanks,

Chris

Yes -- you may pass that driver with the yellow "4" anywhere on the track withOUT a point-by from them. This is also covered at the All Hands Meeting in the morning.

The yellow 4 is posted ANYWHERE on the back of the car -- bumper, trunk, etc -- but NOT on the windshield & must be in plain view. It's challenging to spot when it's on a light colored car. Again, it's designed to help develop driver awareness so was purposely made to be somewhat difficult to spot.

one instance I hate is at njmp thunderbolt turn 5. if your gonna point me by coming out of that turn on the right, don't track all the way out and then cut over to stay on line, take the turn slower, stay tight to the left then point. this has happened a couple times, i'll keep it tight to the left, they know where I am, then they'll point me by over the roof and cut back on line for the next corner.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the #4 sticker NASA SE uses, lets the overtaking driver know what to expect. I like most of the things NASA SE does in their DE sessions actually, especially in the advanced group. With the one small exception that people only pass on the right in DE 1/2 which I legitimately had no idea about on my first event with them till another student told me what the SOP for those groups were. I had been assuming 'towards the inside of the next turn like normal.'

Myself, I try to mostly stay on line when giving a point. But there are exceptions; if I give a point into or out of a turn, I'll make some extra room for the faster car to get by either staying wide on corner entry, or tracking out a bit early on exit... and I'll leave that room available to them till they either pass me or waive it off / I can see them in my rear view again. The key here, as others have beat into the ground, is that those adjustments to the line are very predictable for the overtaking car.

Waiving to the car behind that you see them and will point them as soon as you can is a great habit to be in. There can be a lot more communication between cars than just points. Maximizing that non-verbal communication really helps the whole group deal with traffic more efficiently and get on with learning / having fun. -- Are these not typically topics for DE 1/2 classrooms?

With the one small exception that people only pass on the right in DE 1/2

This makes no sense because it is something people will have to unlearn when they move up.

With the one small exception that people only pass on the right in DE 1/2

This makes no sense because it is something people will have to unlearn when they move up.

I did my DE's prior to coming to NASA and didn't know that. For that reason I think I'll have my daughter start elsewhere. I just can't see the slower car moving to the left, off line, just to let the faster car pass on the right. I agree, that is learning a habit that you need to unlearn. Where is the 'be consistent' that everyone above is harping on?

Here in the SE, all of the passing zones at the tracks we use are on the right side of the car bc the school line is pretty much on the left side of the track in those areas. The only exception to this is the short chute between T5 & T6 at Rd-A. But in DE1, you can only get 1 or 2 cars by anyway bc the passing zone is so short.

As far as being predictable, how much more predictable can one be if you know the ONLY side to pass & get a point-by is to the right?

I agree once one gets to DE3, you'll have to learn yet another skill (point-by's to the left), but isn't that the whole point of DE -- to constantly learn & develop your skills?

I think my point is this: Why teach something that will become defunct beyond DE2 and outside of the SE? Put the responsibility of the pass solely on the passing car and not on some zomg i has to pass on teh rihgt! rule. I can understand trying to simplify things for new drivers but instill something in them that they can carry over beyond DE2...like maintaining a predictable line and learning to develop their awareness in passing situations.