Head Rebuilding - Semi Page Anders =)

VaTechM3

I'm working on revamping a head I've pulled off my old M50 where I bent an intake valve shifting too soon coming into T14...

Anyway, I've got the head off and all taken apart, but I'm not sure how best to get the valve springs compressed.

Anders, I think you've done some head work at some point and was curious what tool you used to compress the springs to get the valves out.

Thanks guys!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-sell-Motorcycle-Car-Universal-Valve-Spring-Compressor-Tool-new-/370736833260?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5651a322ec

This is the best tool I have used for this. however it's not perfect and takes a bit more time than larger tools. It also bends after many uses, so count on it being disposable after a couple of head jobs. None fit perfectly though (unless you get a real expensive one).

you bent an intake valve as a result of overrevving? That doesnt make much sense as it's the exhaust valves that bends. The piston is on its way down as the intake valves open. It must have gotten stuck. Check your exhaust valves! And test your head for cracks!

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Thanks for the link Anders. I'll check into it for sure.

As for the bent valve, it was definitely on the intake side, and I can only remember overrevving coming into T14 that would have caused the bent valve.

I don't really have any plans or that head at the moment except to practice taking apart and such. I've managed to get everything off of the head except fro the valves. All of the exhaust valves look pretty good to me, who knows haha.

I'll try that thing out and see what I can come up with. I'm working on swapping a head on an S50 for an M3 I just picked up that I want to get running again. New territory for me

Once I get some warmer weather, I'll get the race car all cleaned up and sorted and I'll come mix it up with you guys again

but you save 43%!!!! And its a prime deal so free 2day shipping? I might have to look into this and see what its all about. For someone that doesn't really want to get into engine building, I'm not sure I want to invest in that, but seeing as I now have 3 cars with almost identical engines, it might be a nice to have in the garage if I need to repair something along the way.

Thanks Sean!

Well I pulled the trigger on it so I can do something with the head. I'll let you guys know how it goes, should arrive in 2days thanks to Amazon Prime...along with my new running shoes and camshaft alignment tools!

Hopefully I'll have everything needed to time the cams and Vanos for our M50 engines should anyone need them, let me know and I'd be more than happy to lend them out as needed.