Minimum mods to 944 required

memphisracing.com

I am becoming quite interested in Spec 944. What are the minimum modification requirements? I only ask because I can likely get a low mileage 944 on the cheap, but will be doing this on a shoe string budget. Assume that I do not care about being competitive (e.g. weight reductions through lexan glass replacement, pulling AC/heat, etc). What is the minimum I must do to get a 944 prepped for Spec 944. Already HPDE3, so getting comp license shouldn't be hard - I just need a 944 prepped to minimum Spec 944 requirements. Bare necessities, please

You're going to need the minimum required safety equipment for certain.

Spec legal rollcage w/SFI padding

Seat w/back brace if required

Harness

Window Net

Side Net

Master Electrical Cutoff

Covered Positive Battery Terminal

Additionally you'll need the required suspension for 944 Spec, either Koni or Bilsteins and the Spec tire, right now Toyo RR, or the RA-1.

You'll also need all the required size numbers and class stickers for NASA.

Since you're HPDE, you probably already have a performance brake pad, but if not you'll want to upgrade those as well.

No Anti-freeze in the radiator, just water and water-wetter.

Cheers,

Ryan

They covered it above for the bare minimums, but I'd worry about the longevity of the motor. An '88 motor with the better baffle, and oil pick up, might live with just fresh rod bearings, but a Lindsey trap door would help any motor (especially an early one), and is pretty cheap.

I believe you can run the stock shocks and springs. As you stated, you won't be competitive with them. You'll also need a fire suppression and required stickers. Also, make sure your donor car as the 15 inch cookie cutter or phone dial wheels.

• Members
I am becoming quite interested in Spec 944. What are the minimum modification requirements? I only ask because I can likely get a low mileage 944 on the cheap, but will be doing this on a shoe string budget. Assume that I do not care about being competitive (e.g. weight reductions through lexan glass replacement, pulling AC/heat, etc). What is the minimum I must do to get a 944 prepped for Spec 944. Already HPDE3, so getting comp license shouldn't be hard - I just need a 944 prepped to minimum Spec 944 requirements. Bare necessities, please

Come look at Steve's car. Nothing fancy or exteme. Just the basics. Too bad, but I think it is already sold.

I'm not sure where you are located but I have a bare bones car that I'm looking to get rid of. The only piece it would need to be spec legal is a seat. Other then that this car has seen the podium and many many races. The bottom end and belts of the engine were done in 2011. I would still recommend an accu-sump system or the oil pan modifications mentioned above. I'd even being willing to toss in a used but still very good set of shaved RA-1s.