Car unstable only in left turns

obzezzed350

Had a weird issue over the weekend that progressively got worse, that made me have to come in early in the second race on Sunday. In left turns on exit and WOT, the rear of the car was unstable and dancing all over. It wasn't doing this in right turns. At first I thought it was an issue with the lsd locking but I am thinking it could be suspension related. I havent got a chance to tear into the car, but there is nothing broken from what we could tell from several looks this weekend. Not looking for a spot on diagnosis given I am describing the issue in two sentences, but any feedback or comments would be great.

well...the front lower control arms go bad all the time...check those for sure...

Bad shock...or hard settings...or hitting the bump stops

Terrrible driving?

well...the front lower control arms go bad all the time...check those for sure...

Bad shock...or hard settings...or hitting the bump stops

Terrrible driving?

Probably terrible driving

The shocks are JICs, had them valved and rebuilt two years ago. I wouldnt think they would be bad yet. Going to look at everything next weekend.

Bottoming out. Also could be sway-bar endlink hitting something. Also check alignment on right rear wheel; might be picking up some toe-out.

Are going to visit Road Atlanta this year?

Yep, should be there in September. Driving my Z in the sprints, and co-driving the shop's spec Z in the enduro.

Put the car in the air and pulled the wheels tonight. Nothing obvious to report, bushings all look fine, no play in any of the components, no leaking shocks, no broken end links. Here is a video that I tried to illustrate the behavior.

Hopefully you can see how the rear is acting retarded even though my steering input remains unchanged for the most part. The car wasn't handling as well as I would like at the event prior to this either. I made a switch to BFG R1s from Hoosier R6s for this event, and things were worse. I just cant see the car changing all that much. I've driven a Spec Z on the same BFG tire and had no issues.

I have had issues with bottoming out in the rear...both times it was setup. It was like driving a old school solid axle Muscle Car on a bumpy track like CMP. Now the new Spec Z rear suspension doesn't give you much travel when lowered...you are sitting on the bump stops and I had the same issues last year. So for 2013 I am running almost stock ride heigth now...and the rear-bump-steer went away.

But based on what you are saying...I think you have a busted/bent rear shock...

or somebody turned your settings to full hard on bump...

and too hard/firm rebound settings can cause the car to "jack down" thus causing it to be lower than planned and hit the bumps stops.

I tried to dial it out with the dampers but it got me nowhere. JIC offered to inspect them for no charge, and ill probably just have them refresh them while they have them. I just hate changing things without knowing whats wrong. I wonder if the downforce of my wing has put a strain on them..

Note that, on the 4 straights at Homestead where you would be going to WOT on corner exit, 3 of them are preceded by left turns (5, 8, and 13), with only 1 preceded by a right turn (6). Also, as Homestead is a CCW track, you will have 360* more left turns than right turns. So, your data is skewed in favor of left turns at this track; your car might not want to turn right on WOT corner exit, either. At least the next event is at Sebring, which is a CW track, where you can observe more right turns.

Any idea what the corner weights are on the car? Maybe it wants to turn right.

As previously mentioned, how is your bumpsteer?

Annnnnnd you still owe me your 2013 ST classification forms.

Mark

Yea I know its mostly left turns, but it felt fine coming through 7. Dont have specific corner weights, but Bello Motorsports got them pretty close last year. Nothing has changed weight wise. Probably just going to get it aligned and see what happens at Sebring.

Well decided to pull the shocks off and send them off to be looked at and rebuilt. I noticed both fronts had some residue under the dust covers, not sure if its just from the engine bay or something. Also found one of the front lower arms had a torn bushing so changing both sides. Other than that, ill be putting it back together in a few weeks, getting it re corner balanced and aligned, and let it rip at Sebring 4 weeks.