HPDE at Memphis International Raceway or Road atlanta

ca18hatch24

Hey guys, I'm a brand new member of NASA southeast region, and I will be starting HPDE 1 this summer in my 2006 Lancer Evolution. My question is, there are currently track days set up at Memphis International and Road Atlanta in June, and I need to pick one to go to. Both are about the same distance for me (live in nashville), but memphis is 130 bux cheaper than road atlanta. Which would you guys recommend that I attend? Keep in mind, I will be driving road atlanta in august and september as well.

Thanks!

Welcome to NASA!

I'm also relatively new to NASA. I've been driving with this group for almost a year now. Road Atlanta has been the only track I've driven. I wouldn't say it's a great course to start learning on from a "margin for error" standpoint, but I think it really steepens the learning curve because it is such a fantastic and difficult track. There are lots of elevation changes and high speed corners.

Whatever you decide to do, you will have a fantastic time driving with this group.

Hey guys, I'm a brand new member of NASA southeast region, and I will be starting HPDE 1 this summer in my 2006 Lancer Evolution. My question is, there are currently track days set up at Memphis International and Road Atlanta in June, and I need to pick one to go to. Both are about the same distance for me (live in nashville), but memphis is 130 bux cheaper than road atlanta. Which would you guys recommend that I attend? Keep in mind, I will be driving road atlanta in august and september as well.

Thanks!

I have spent a ton of time at both tracks and you won't be disappointed with either for your first weekend.

Road Atlanta is by far a better track overall. There is a reason it is on the bucket list of almost every driver. The hills and higher speeds are addictive and will stay with you for a long time. Some would say it is a romantic track. However, with that, it is a very challenging, technical, and unforgiving track. I didn't learn to drive on a track there but I can imagine that can easily overwhelm people. Several blind corners, lots of corners back to back to keep you busy, and a huge variety of corners. There are really nice hotels within 20 miles and camping is always a great option. The asphalt is very smooth, easy on tires, and the track is easy on brakes.

Memphis on the other hand is billiard table flat. There are few high speed corners (carrossel and kink) and most of the track has acres of runoff room. Other than the corner to get onto the drag strip, and the drag strip you can't really hit anything.There is a decent variety of corners to let you learn the basics. The asphalt here is quite a bit rougher and is pretty hard on left side tires. It isn't super hard on brakes but does go through them quicker than RA will. Learning there is very easy and will get you up to speed fast. You can take what you learn there and learn any other track quickly. To get to the track you will think you are headed into some shady area of town (well that is most of Memphis). Hotels are around and you might want to see where the preferred place to stay is. I don't believe camping is an option there.

The sound advice is to learn on Memphis and save some cash then head to Road Atlanta next chance you get. That way you will be much more comfortable on track and you will be able to get comfortable on RA quicker. However, I can't really tell anybody not to go to RA every chance they get. It is a world class track for sure.

Thanks Diller, that was an extremely helpful answer. My first event this summer is actually going to be in May at Atlanta Motorsports Park, will be going with some lesser organization. I am really excited about this track, have heard great things about it as well.

Yeah, I may take your advice and try out MIR for the June outing.....I am a relative newb. I have been out on Nashville Superspeedway a couple times when I had my rsx type-s, but never on track in the Evo. I like the idea of room to run off at Memphis, and I will have two more opportunities to drive Road Atlanta later in the summer. Only downside is, as you said...Memphis is pretty rough, but eh.

You ever run at Autobahn or Mid Ohio? I dont currently have anything in my area for July, and was considering one of these two tracks for a little road trip.

Thanks!

Road Atlanta was my first event. I would highly recommend it. The instructors are great when teaching you the lines and how to approach the corners/blind spots etc. The first session will be difficult, but you will be among other first-timers. After that you will be glad you were there. You will notice a big difference in your driving ability by the second day. If you can drive RA, you can drive anywhere.

• Members

We would love for you to come out to play with us at Memphis and in true NASA spirit, you will be among friends.

Of course I am biased, but having been to many tracks through-out the area, Memphis is a very fun track. It is rougher on tires than RA, but is not the cheese grater it was when they re-opened.

As far as Autobahn or Mid-Ohio, I would definitely run Mid-Ohio as it is the most technical track I have driven on. At the end of the day, you will be mentally exhausted but with a huge perma-grin.