Sign in to follow this  
circuitmstr

Tire or AERO points?

circuitmstr

I'm hoping to discuss my points options

My Car is finally 100% ready to race and I am registered for The next NASA event at the end of April @Sebring.

97 miata

My Plan all along has been to run PTC with 185whp #2350 (dyno reclass)

point plans: 225 A6, flat front valance, shocks, springs, swaybars, lsd

Is anyone getting away with racing on A6's? I think Emilio, who won PTC at nationals was on 205 A6's

However in order to run PTC, I will need to add almost #200 of ballast.

Now I am thinking Of asking for another reclass into PTB. Not sure what weight I would be required to run...

I see some advantages: lower weight=easier on tires, 3 more points to play with because of the Base tire size for PTB is larger.

Not much to do with 3 points other that big brakes and maybe a diffuser. the 205's have the benefit of being able to run a lighter wheel, less aero drag, rolling resistance etc..

Then I got to thinking, Heck, maybe since I have those 3 extra points I could just run 205 tires and then I could add a splitter, wing and big brakes....

My Question is? In what class and points trim Do you think My car would be the most potentially competitive?

Joshua

Miatas are competitive in TTF, TTE, TTD and TTC, depending on year and tune. Your '97 will be fun! Please come say hi, as my friend Vic and I have been campaigning Miatas in NASA TT for several years with some success. We'll be happy to give you as much information as you want about our experiences with Miatas in NASA TT.

Emilio went the small tire (205/50/15) with aero route and has been very successful with that formula. Some say his car is the best prepared Miata in the country using the NASA classification scheme. I've gone the wider tire (225/45/15) with no aero route, and the car is locally competitive.

I've used A6s, and they are necessary for the fastest lap times, but they do not last very long at their highest levels of grip. They have their "golden moment" on around lap 2 or 3 when first used, and then are pretty good for a few more heat cycles, and go away pretty significantly after about 8-10. The R6s are a bit better in this regard, but still heat cycle out before they wear out.

There will be more competition for you in TTC compared to TTB, so I suggest adding the ballast and coming out to play. My dyno reclass for TTC allows 185rwhp at 2395lbs, so I'm surprised that you're 45 pounds lighter with the same NA chassis. You even get to use the larger and more effective brakes! I have to run with a full tank of gas and about 30lbs of ballast to make that weight, but I still have a full interior. Remember, the weight is with you in the car. Be sure to get your car classification forms to Mark McKay no later than the Wednesday before the event!

See you at Sebring.

Balroks

In a miata ya you can likely do A6's in the shorter sprints on stickers but as Vic said they won't last past the weekend. At Nats people were throwing sticker A's around like nothing.