GTS sticker application tips

JSG1901

For the record, I completely understand and agree with the intent of the GTS Class sticker rule. However, I don't completely agree with the interpretation of the front sticker rule or the actual size of the sticker. So, I ran the small "toolbox" sticker at the most recent race at Pueblo just to see how it would fit in with the other cars. Would it really be less visible? Would it cause issues with people not knowing what class I was in? Or, would it just plain look like crap?!

I have my personal opinion, but I'd be interested in hearing what other people think. So, here are a few pictures (courtesy of Dave Phillip Photography) from various angles and distances, just click on them to see bigger versions. Is it too small?

p1594451938-2.jpg

p1594453212-2.jpg

p1594459700-2.jpg

p1586378136-2.jpg

Thanks,

Rick

For the record, I completely understand and agree with the intent of the GTS Class sticker rule. However, I don't completely agree with the interpretation of the front sticker rule or the actual size of the sticker. So, I ran the small "toolbox" sticker at the most recent race at Pueblo just to see how it would fit in with the other cars. Would it really be less visible? Would it cause issues with people not knowing what class I was in? Or, would it just plain look like crap?!

I have my personal opinion, but I'd be interested in hearing what other people think. So, here are a few pictures (courtesy of Dave Phillip Photography) from various angles and distances, just click on them to see bigger versions. Is it too small?

p1594451938-2.jpg

p1594453212-2.jpg

p1594459700-2.jpg

p1586378136-2.jpg

Thanks,

Rick

For the record, we just realized this past weekend that the smaller (toolbox) sticker, has a 2-3/4" tall class number and, therefore, does not meet the requirements of the CCR which call for a 3" number. Therefore, not only is it not what you're supposed to use for GTS, it is non-compliant for NASA, too.

For the record, we just realized this past weekend that the smaller (toolbox) sticker, has a 2-3/4" tall class number and, therefore, does not meet the requirements of the CCR which call for a 3" number. Therefore, not only is it not what you're supposed to use for GTS, it is non-compliant for NASA, too.

Well Scott, I admit I didn't even think to measure the height, so that's a bummer. However, the CCR says:

18.1.1 Car Numbers and Class Designation

The vehicle must exhibit its assigned car number and class designation on both sides, front, and rear of the car.

The side numbers must be at least ten (10) inches tall with a one and a half (1.5) inch stroke and be of a

contrasting color. The front and rear numbers, and class designations must be at least three (3) inches tall.

Car numbers and class designations must be legible and readable at speed. Numbers should not be part of the

vehicles graphics unless permitted by the Chief of Timing and Scoring.

Personally, I read that as "class designation" and not "class number". Is my class the number "3" or word/phrase "GTS3". If it's "GTS3", then I would argue that the "class designation" described in the rule is the entire sticker, not just the number. If that's true, is the entire sticker 3" tall and therefore potentially legal?

Am I reaching here? Sure I am , but for those of us with E36 models that are trying to work through this with you to find a workable solution I'm going to reach just for the sake of discussion. As I said before, I understand and agree with the intent, just not some of the other bits. And so I was hoping to get a response with something more then "sorry, it's not legal anyway" because you asked us to show you what we've tried.

I would greatly appreciate folks posting photos of their solutions to these challenges here so I/we can see the specific issues we're all dealing with. There's no reason we can't eventually tweak what's in the rules if we need to but before we just make a knee-jerk reaction I'd prefer everyone try to meet the letter (or at least the spirit) of the rules as they are today.

I know I'm breaking the letter of the rule, but I hope you'll admit that I'm trying real hard on the spirit. Regional racing is one thing, Nationals is another and I'll conform to the letter when the time comes. Hope you understand and thanks for listening.

Rick

Well Scott, I admit I didn't even think to measure the height, so that's a bummer. However, the CCR says:

18.1.1 Car Numbers and Class Designation

The vehicle must exhibit its assigned car number and class designation on both sides, front, and rear of the car.

The side numbers must be at least ten (10) inches tall with a one and a half (1.5) inch stroke and be of a

contrasting color. The front and rear numbers, and class designations must be at least three (3) inches tall.

Car numbers and class designations must be legible and readable at speed. Numbers should not be part of the

vehicles graphics unless permitted by the Chief of Timing and Scoring.

Personally, I read that as "class designation" and not "class number". Is my class the number "3" or word/phrase "GTS3". If it's "GTS3", then I would argue that the "class designation" described in the rule is the entire sticker, not just the number. If that's true, is the entire sticker 3" tall and therefore potentially legal?

Am I reaching here? Sure I am , but for those of us with E36 models that are trying to work through this with you to find a workable solution I'm going to reach just for the sake of discussion. As I said before, I understand and agree with the intent, just not some of the other bits. And so I was hoping to get a response with something more then "sorry, it's not legal anyway" because you asked us to show you what we've tried.

I would greatly appreciate folks posting photos of their solutions to these challenges here so I/we can see the specific issues we're all dealing with. There's no reason we can't eventually tweak what's in the rules if we need to but before we just make a knee-jerk reaction I'd prefer everyone try to meet the letter (or at least the spirit) of the rules as they are today.

I know I'm breaking the letter of the rule, but I hope you'll admit that I'm trying real hard on the spirit. Regional racing is one thing, Nationals is another and I'll conform to the letter when the time comes. Hope you understand and thanks for listening.

Rick

Rick,

Do you run blanks in your fog Lamp holes ? If you do the full size decal will fit fine down lower on your bumper, It will end just where the opening for the brake duct is, and the bottom will end by the lower lip. I don't have a pic to post at the moment as I didn't take one this weekend at the track. I showed it to Scott and he thought it was fine.

Cheers, Scott B.

Do you run blanks in your fog Lamp holes ? If you do the full size decal will fit fine down lower on your bumper, It will end just where the opening for the brake duct is, and the bottom will end by the lower lip. I don't have a pic to post at the moment as I didn't take one this weekend at the track. I showed it to Scott and he thought it was fine.

I do run fog light blanks, so I'll take a look at that. Thanks for the info. I would definitely like to see a pic of how it looks first, but it's nice to have options.

• 3 weeks later...

I do run fog light blanks, so I'll take a look at that. Thanks for the info. I would definitely like to see a pic of how it looks first, but it's nice to have options.

Rick,

Here's a couple shots from Putnam. Sorry no close ups at the moment. The Proper front decal will fit on the E36 bumper in that location with headlamp blanks in place.

putnam2013-1_zps2c6cc5ee.jpg

putnam2013_zpsd393708c.jpg

-Scott B.

• 3 years later...