Thoughts on potential re-class (Audi S4)

troyguitar

Hey folks,

I picked up a 2006 Audi S4 this winter and am thinking about running it in some TT events. It is very heavy and not that powerful but is for some reason listed as TTC base class. I'm wondering if people think that getting it re-classed down a notch would be feasible. Stats:

3869 lbs minimum competition weight (I'm in a wagon with options, it is going to be 3900 at least)

265 hp roughly stock (People with full bolt-ons + tunes are getting ~300)

235 wide tires stock (I will probably run 245. People have had issues rubbing with 255+)

Adjusted wt/hp ratio:

14.72 base wt/hp 3900 lbs / 265 hp

0.4 wagon

-0.5 awd

0.8 tires 245 or less

0.75 weight 3900 lbs

16.17 final ratio

That ratio is nearly TTE territory. Even modded up to 300 hp the adjusted ratio is only 14.45 - still TTD. Am I missing something or should I be able to get dropped down to TTD?

I probably will only make it out to a few events for initial testing this year so it does not matter a whole lot, but if the car is fun and seems promising I will likely try to be more competitive next year.

The “Modification Factor” listed after each item below is added or subtracted from the actual measured wt/hp ratio to determine the “Adjusted Wt./Hp Ratio” that determines vehicle legality in TT1, TT2, & TT3.

Am I missing something?

I get what you're saying. A 4dr 1994 non-VTEC Integra when you plug the mod factors in comes out to 19.8:1. That is roughly F* territory which is its base class.

I would think straight D or D* classing would be more fitting.

I'm thinking it might just be a mistake. The RS4 is only one class higher with 100 more hp, weighs 200 lbs less, bigger tires/wheels, bigger brakes, bigger sway bars, wider track/fenders, better weight distribution, etc. The previous S4 is also based in TTD and is actually faster with just an ECU tune (no points). Twin turbo V6 at 318hp/382tq at 3600 lbs versus my V8 352hp/312tq at 3900 lbs.

Note that, with some of the base classes that have been tweaked over the years, it could be that somebody managed to find a way to make that particular platform an absolute killer, and the base class could have been adjusted up to compensate for it (similar to NHRA CIC).

For the most part, the base classes are fairly accurate. A dyno reclass per TT rules section 6.5 could help you.

Don't forget to read this: http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12638

Mark