HPDE Group 2- Safety and Tech Clarifications

marshallpre1

I would like to first introduce myself. My name is Jeremy and I started with NASA last year in HPDE 1 using my bone stock G35 Coupe. And loved every minute of it. I moved on to HPDE 2 after instructor sign off and was in Group 2 for my third and final event last year at Watkins (lovee that track!)

This year however, I am trying to make sure my *new to me* car will pass tech inspection for HPDE 2 and maybe 3 if I get good enough. The car is a 94 SC300. Why I chose the SC300 is simply because I love my Supra but I can't afford it in case something happens to it on the track and the SC offers very similar dynamics at a fraction of the price...

When I bought the car it came with the following relevant mods (which I think affect tech inspection):

Aftermarket turbo

Aftermarket fuel injectors

Aftermarket fuel pump

Battery Relocated to the trunk

My questions are the following:

1. Since there are changes to my fuel system (even if relatively small) do I need to install a fire extinguisher that is easily accessible to me? No mention of modified fuel systems, as long as it does not leak

2. The battery that has been relocated to the trunk, do I need to do either or both of the following:

a)either get a sealed battery or place it in a battery box requirement for car batteries in driver compartment, not trunk? Guessing trunk does not count as driver compartment?

b)a kill switch in dash Not required?

3. I want to upgrade my comfy couch seats to a nice bucket that supports a harness and having read the rules, do I need:

a) To have identical seats and restraints systems for both driver and passenger, even though I am in Group 2?

11.4.8 and 11.4.12 state passenger and driver seats/restraints do not have to match, and 11.3 states passenger seats must meet or exceed the minimum as stated, which means I can use factory for passenger? However, the tech sheet states otherwise, ie I must have matching restraint systems?

b) Do I need seats/restraints that have NOT expired? I'm only in HPDE and not in the competition group. Just wondering if I can buy used ones in good condition. I actually have old "expired" Schroth Rallye 4 harness that I would like to use if possible. Expired is ok as long as in good condition

I'm sure I have more questions, but so far, just trying to get it ready for this season!

Thanks

Jeremy

EDIT: after rereading the rules again, I posted my interpretations in red. It looks like I was confusing competition and HPDE rules. Can anyone confirm or refute my interpretations? I'm mostly confused with the seats and restraint systems

1) I'm pretty sure that requires nothing more than ensuring the system does not leak.

2) This should require nothing as well, seeing as how the Miata comes from the factory with the battery in the trunk and it is exposed to the world.

3) AFAIK you do not have to have matching driver/passenger equipment for HPDE. If the passenger seat and belt are factory, that is ok. For you, however, IMO you should get a 4-point rollbar and proper 5-point or 6-point harness if you intend to replace the factory seat with a bucket seat. If not, just stay factory until you can splurge on all of it at once. Also, expired equipment is technically ok for HPDE but it needs to be MINT equipment if it is expired. Tech in AZ prefers everything be up to date, even for HPDE.

It's not required in the CCR, but most regions override that or have instructors that won't hop in a car that's not equal or close to equal restraints.

Don't be so quick to get out there solo'd - when you get to the competition stage and start pricing pro coaching and stuff you'll kick yourself for not taking more advantage of "free" instruction earlier in your learning curve.

Alright, thanks. Honestly, I just thought I needed better seats since the Lexus has terrible seats altogether. Would a harness bar be ok instead of a roll bar?

EDIT: having read more about the subject of racing safety, I'm just going to stick with Corbeau A4s and keep my 3 point belts. Seems good for what I need and I can get the buckets later down the road with all the proper roll bar, hnr, harnesses, etc. Thanks

EDIT: having read more about the subject of racing safety, I'm just going to stick with Corbeau A4s and keep my 3 point belts. Seems good for what I need and I can get the buckets later down the road with all the proper roll bar, hnr, harnesses, etc. Thanks

My last question- is it ok if I have just the A4 on the driver's side and retain the the stock seat for the passenger? Both will retain the 3 point stock belts. From my interpretation of the rules, it should be ok, even for the passenger?

Thanks

Jeremy

I would say yes that would be ok. (I rode with a DE3 driver this weekend that has a MOMO Daytona Evo and Schroth 6-point and the passenger seat is stock with stock 3-point)