TurboShortBus

Sebring Time Trial entry list for April 27-28, 2013

TurboShortBus

I believe that Sarah canceled, so Eric will likely be the lone gunman in TTB.

Mark

Mrsideways

coraldoc, I think we all know the way to do it is not with a Dyno reclass. Greg gives you impossibly low dyno reclass's vs doing it with straight points. Start throwing FWD and 4 door modifications onto cars and you'll see you can in some cases make 50-60 more hp then what the dyno reclass your often given. My Mini was given a dyno reclass of 216 in TTC... had I been able to do it on points alone (not been cheap and built a fresh motor vs the tired junk yard motor that was in it) it's been a while since I did the math but I could have made IIRC 246whp AND been 120lbs lighter. Yea that would have been the way to go for sure. But I spent so many points trying to make my tired old motor make power that I had to dyno reclass. I just did a Mini for a customer that only used enough points to be in TTD but made 253whp. Now that was TTD before he did Diff or suspension, but you get the point, it was easily a C car with no dyno reclass.

The Problem is there are very few cars that can pick up Big hp gains on minimal points to allow you to max it out on power with points alone. Finding a car that will blow it's HP number with 1 or 2 points used then allows you to do things aimed at TQ and get the TQ number as high as you can while keeping the HP number right at the max you can go in POWER to weight with modification factor. Because as we've all seen from Chi's S2000 TQ pays big ..... on certain courses. I think the data showed the entire lap time at sebring we made up in Chi's car was from lack of shifting. Being able to leave it a gear higher and bang out 240ft/lbs of torque on corner exit saved a shift.

JMiller
This is going to be an interesting weekend in TT!

Two drivers new to our region claim that they're going break existing track records - in TTF and TTD. The TTF record is quite soft, I should know since I set it last fall in a nearly mechanically stock (cut springs) BMW 325E on nearly worn out tires. I'll be back out with fresher tires and see if I can lower the mark without getting too embarrassed by Integra driver Robert. The TTD record was set by Victor driving my Miata in October 2011. We'll see if Jonathan, the driver of an E85 powered FRS can get the job done. The car has a very friendly power to weight ratio, and if that platform can get through the corners, it should be possible.

Sebring is a great track, and it will be a fun weekend.

I love all the forum math, speculation and buildup for this coming weekend... no pressure!

My car weighs right around 2800lbs with me in it. I put it on the dyno yesterday and I am well within my hp/weight ratio limit, no worries there. Well, you guys shouldn't be worried... I'm a little concerned, I'd prefer to have some more power!

I was even a little surprised at the 1:20.2 I ran at Roebling. I thought a high 20 might be possible, but that track really suits the FR-S platform, I was on new tires, the track and air was cool and I got a clear lap early in the session. It all fell together:

Sebring... I'm not quite as confident, but it will be fun either way! I just wish we had more Time Trialers to come out and play, especially in TTD! E seems like the class to be in for a good battle. My money is on the Polish Punisher, Mr. Jonathan Czarny.

Joshua

For sure it will be a fun weekend! The weather is looking promising.

You did that fast lap at RR with little drama, and worked the corners well. I was there last year in my Miata in TTD trim, and the best I could manage was a 1:23.39. Here's an instructional video filmed at Roebling Road from a few years ago when my car was in Spec Miata trim. I think you'll find it "educational" .

And here's the existing Sebring TTD record lap set by Vic in my Miata:

BlkGt3
This is going to be an interesting weekend in TT!

Two drivers new to our region claim that they're going break existing track records - in TTF and TTD. The TTF record is quite soft, I should know since I set it last fall in a nearly mechanically stock (cut springs) BMW 325E on nearly worn out tires. I'll be back out with fresher tires and see if I can lower the mark without getting too embarrassed by Integra driver Robert. The TTD record was set by Victor driving my Miata in October 2011. We'll see if Jonathan, the driver of an E85 powered FRS can get the job done. The car has a very friendly power to weight ratio, and if that platform can get through the corners, it should be possible.

Sebring is a great track, and it will be a fun weekend.

M

I love all the forum math, speculation and buildup for this coming weekend... no pressure!

My car weighs right around 2800lbs with me in it. I put it on the dyno yesterday and I am well within my hp/weight ratio limit, no worries there. Well, you guys shouldn't be worried... I'm a little concerned, I'd prefer to have some more power!

I was even a little surprised at the 1:20.2 I ran at Roebling. I thought a high 20 might be possible, but that track really suits the FR-S platform, I was on new tires, the track and air was cool and I got a clear lap early in the session. It all fell together:

Sebring... I'm not quite as confident, but it will be fun either way! I just wish we had more Time Trialers to come out and play, especially in TTD! E seems like the class to be in for a good battle. My money is on the Polish Punisher, Mr. Jonathan Czarny.

Hang in there Jon. I have a TTD car coming but it won't be fully built until the fall. Sebring in June will just be a show up putter around the track.

Peter

JMiller

Peter, Im looking forward to seeing this new D car of yours. I've heard a bit about it, sounds well thought out. Will you bring it to Nationals this year?

Joshua

Jon crushed the TTD record today with a 2:32.597 as a follow up to a mere trouncing on Saturday (2:33.262). That's a drop of over 1.5 seconds form the previous record of 2:34.154!

The Scion looks like a great platform, and Jon sure can get it around the track.

JMiller

Hey Josh! Great seeing you again after so long this weekend... what a small world.

And I guess I'll see you next weekend at some non-NASA event too!

So, I do have some bad news...

On Saturday, during the 3rd TT session there was a snafu with my rental transponder. One of the ITC Caymans needed it for the enduro and they switch his name and race-group in the timing system so my time in the afternoon didn't show up on the TT sheet, even though the computer was seeing the transponder hit. I sorted it out with Mark when I didn't see my name show up on the TT time sheet for that session, because I actually ran a 2:31.893.

I'm finishing up the video and I'll post it here when it's finished. It's pretty funny actually...

JMiller

Saturday at Sebring, TTD 2:31.893 lap:

TurboShortBus

Not to worry, as T&S sorted everything out on Saturday afternoon after we helped the racer with the transponder issue (no good deed goes unpunished, right?), and your 2:31 showed up on my printed results. This is fine, since I manually enter results and upload them to nasa-tt.com; anything at MyLaps.com is not official and will not count toward contingency, etc.

Mark

Joshua
Saturday at Sebring, TTD 2:31.893 lap:

Wow! Even more awesome!

King Tut

Congrats Jon. Which TTD track record is next to fall?

JMiller

I'm spending some time on the west coast over the next few months and trying to figure out a way to take the car with me. I'll likely be at VIR in July for the Ultimate Track Car Challenge event (driving something else) but if I can run the FR-S that NASA weekend too, I would like to. I ran it once there last year, but it was bone stock and I was simply trying to get enough entires to qualify for nationals.

The TTD record there looks to be a 2:14.something (i loked earlier today and forgot) set in 2010 by an MX-5 (Cup?) with Alfred Caiola driving. I know Alfred is pretty quick in his 430 Challenge car, and relative to MX5 cup fast times at Sebring (2:31s at this years race) they seem to be pretty dang close to what I ran there.

BlkGt3
Peter, Im looking forward to seeing this new D car of yours. I've heard a bit about it, sounds well thought out. Will you bring it to Nationals this year?

Jon,

No nationals this year. I doubt it will be fully built until the fall and the driver needs more work. Probably let Ian drive it also to give me something to shoot for. Congrats on destroying the TTD record you raised the bar pretty high

Peter

Mrsideways

Fingers crossed Peter will have it in Sebring in June. But I don't think he will have touched the car yet it'll still be an SCCA SSB car at that point. I need to look at the points to see if he will still be in E or if it'll be up in D at that point. I know Luke Ran his in SSB to a 2:38 lap time at the SCCA weight which is some 200lbs heavier then the NASA weight so if it can stay in E it should be a pretty quick E car.

edit* lol, misses E by one point.