C5 coupe vs Z06

jranaudo

As someone who does HPDE only 3-4x per year I am trying to make up my mind. Going fast for me is not my biggest interest in a Z06 but handling is. I am of the mind that I don't need 400+ HP to enjoy the track. I just want a good handling american made V8 and the vette fits the bill. I have yet to drive a Z06 though and wonder if it's worth the extra money. I coupe would handle much better than my 2003 mustang mach 1 and is more than enough power to me. As long as handling is there I am happy.

So I guess I am just looking for opinions? Any thoughts?

If I saved some money I could use it to buy my other hobby which is an old jeep cherokee for 4-5k to offroad with so thats a plus.

I have been HPDE'ing a C5 Z51 coupe for a few years now. No complaints here: keeps up with most cars, it's plenty fast, and need no modifications to go to the track. A Z06 would be nice, and if price is no object then go for it, but I used the difference to fund the hobby.

coupes are more aero. thats better for fast tracks. and you can find Z06 or T1 suspension parts used on the forum fairly cheap all the time. only hard part to change is the gearing (well motor too if you want the power).

if your wanting to get in a vette to track and dont want to spend a ton of cash. get a coupe, unless you get a killer deal on a Z. then find someone selling T1 swaybars or a just hit the easy button and get the Jhonny Oconnel package with shocks too. then find some Z06 springs. done.

and when you get to TT3 time trials, you have more room to do things before hitting the 9.0 or 9.5 with aero lbs/HP limit. I am up against the 9.0 with my C5Z and its pretty darn close to stock.

• 2 weeks later...
As someone who does HPDE only 3-4x per year I am trying to make up my mind. Going fast for me is not my biggest interest in a Z06 but handling is. I am of the mind that I don't need 400+ HP to enjoy the track. I just want a good handling american made V8 and the vette fits the bill. I have yet to drive a Z06 though and wonder if it's worth the extra money. I coupe would handle much better than my 2003 mustang mach 1 and is more than enough power to me. As long as handling is there I am happy.

So I guess I am just looking for opinions? Any thoughts?

If I saved some money I could use it to buy my other hobby which is an old jeep cherokee for 4-5k to offroad with so thats a plus.

It really depends on the tire you run. Do you run street tires? If so, a Z51 C5 will be perfect. Best bang for the buck, nothing comes close. If your running Slicks, You will need bigger sway bars and I agree on the jonneyOconnel bars or Phat sport bars, VBP : http://www.vbandp.com/

Etc

I run a 99 coupe with Oconnel bars, Koni shocks and 315/18 Kumho V710 tires And it is almost impossible for me to outdrive the car. These C5 vettes are fricken amazing. If you want to go faster with stock C5 take driving lessons and then take some more. The best thing to mod is the driver !!

You put a professional race car driver in a stock C5 vette with Z51 suspension, He will kick everyone's ass on the track..... C5's Rule !!!!!