wannabe GTS racer with some questions.

beaner

Hi: I have a MINI race car in which I would like to compete in GTS. i am working on a comp license at this time. I have read the threads on the relative merits of light/low hp vs heavier/higher hp. obviously, i'm going to be on the light/low end of the GTS4 spectrum.

51atsebring.jpg

my question is how to best maximize my car. I know that many, if not most here, have maximized their cars to the class. I have enough power to max out GTS4 on DOT tires at my current weight. I currently run Yoko slicks. I will be over the limit at my current weight and power. I have a lot of options......

1. Switch to DOT tires and only slightly detune. 2. Keep the slicks and either detune or add weight.

my gut instinct is to maintain the power level, since i'm at the low end anyways. but the MINI is so aero challenged, that i don't know if a few hp will make much difference on "big" tracks. my coach/co-driver is an engineering test pilot and i am a decent CF fabricator, so some aero work will be done. adding some ballast in my FWD platform might not be a bad idea, since i'm severely front biased. i just don't want to lose what the car currently does best.....turn and stop.

i look forward to hearing some opinions.

and a few gratuitous pics.....

racecar4.jpg

012-1.jpg

007-2.jpg

beaner

Cool car !

I think GTS4 has some of the most variety in power/weight. To be honest I have no idea if folks have success with slicks. Personally I would lean toward DOT's with a detune. Of course it always comes down to laptime. I think most of the guys in GTS have leaned toward DOT's due to relative performance to slicks. I sort of feel like the slick rule is just there to help folks run the same tires they do in PCA or CCA or whatever they run.

Actually, what we're seeing in Great Lakes is that the slicks are faster and, maybe just as important, seem not to fall off toward the end of the race. All else being equal, the DOTs appear to be faster earlier, probably because they come up to temp more quickly (this is my supposition, not necessarily fact). After a couple of laps, though, the slicks seem to be quicker.

The place we, in GL, are seeing the most slicks is GTS4, where you're headed. If it were my choice, I'd be tempted to maintain the lower weight and detune/restrictor plate the motor down to 9.0:1 so I could run the slicks.

By the way, welcome to GTS! Looks like Sebring in the photo. Are you Florida Region?

thanks for the replies. I expected a mixed bag of opinions. I just wanted to open the topic for general discussion.

I would prefer to have the car set up for slicks to maintain continuity when running with BMWCCA in DMod.

I am in the Florida Region, but I hope to compete at VIR, Roebling Road, Road Atlanta, Barber, CMSP, etc. my bucket list consists of tracks not yet driven.

Hi: I have a MINI race car in which I would like to compete in GTS. i am working on a comp license at this time. I have read the threads on the relative merits of light/low hp vs heavier/higher hp. obviously, i'm going to be on the light/low end of the GTS4 spectrum.

51atsebring.jpg

racecar4.jpg

012-1.jpg

007-2.jpg

beaner

Welcome to GTS. Watched Greg build that car for a few years. Too bad he really never got to race it. Glad you have it and are running it now. You'll have some fun with the NASA GTS crowd !!

-Scott B.

Thanks, Scott. Greg V and I became friends before I bought the car. We still are and talk regularly. I'm looking forward to competition. I love the car.

• 2 weeks later...

I had two wining GTS4 cars and both were at each end of the spectrum on power.

Car 1. 250HP and 2250#

Car 2. 320HP and 2950#

Both were quite successful. Car1 did better on the short tracks. Car2 on the big ones, but both had plenty of podiums. Pick your poison.

• 1 month later...

I won't be long! I've been getting some seat time, making a few changes then testing. I am registered for the BMWCCA race school at WGI in September. if I pass the school, I will be racing in the 'CCA Endurance Series race the following day. then two more days of racing at the Glen.

I have dyno'd the car and I am about 20 hp over the limit for GTS4 at my current weight with slicks (depending upon how much weight I can get my skinny co-driver to gain). we aren't running competitive GTS4 times yet, but we are getting close. it will be tough company for a MINI, but i'm going to give it a shot!

Your Cooper looks awesome! If you can get it to be competitive in GTS4, it give me hope that I could get mine competitive in GTS2.

Cheers, Garrett