Oval Track HPDE's?!?

Jim P.

• Members

Would anyone consider running an Oval track HPDE? We have quite a few ovals here in the southeast and are considering the thought of an HPDE event at one - what are everyone's thoughts?

What is it that you learn driving around in circles? I guess you could save on instructors, just put a tape recorder in the car, turn left.....turn left...turn left....turn left....tu...ugh. Maybe if they have an infield track, 5 runs on the infield, 1 run on the oval.

--chad

I would do an oval track. I think that it would allow me to run my truck at top speed which I can not do on a road course. Beside then I could tell people that I ran at Darlington or Lowes or some other big time NASCAR track.

Curious, How would you pull this off? Right now HPDE's are ran along with Races. If you held an HPDE at an oval track would you also hold races there? I can't imagine any of the race series drivers agreeing to hold points events on an oval track. Would this just be one day thing just a 1.5 hours on the track for the same $$$. I'm sure those tracks are not cheap to rent.

--chad

• Members

I have run a few of the ovals in DE's and racing events, they are definitely simpler to learn to drive, but at the same time you can run 3-4 wide and have a blast on some of the straights. They would be identical as regular HPDE/Race weekends and we are even considering some of the shorter (1/2 & 5/8 mi) tracks as well, it would be a smaller group and quite possibly a bunch more track time.

We are even trying to get dates at Talladega Grand Prix for an HPDE - which is a track that is so narrow - passing would be existant in only one spot, but you can always learn anywhere - and at TGP there is one series of turns that is part of a large skidpad... (drifting anyone? )

Lowes and/or Talledega Superspeedway, granted you spend 90% of your time with your foot on the floor and your butt shoved in the seat because of the centrifugal force on the banks - but even then you can learn some driving techniques

Just like the hillclimb and rally events we are planning - we are trying to expand the southeast into a region where you can have the most fun possible in a car...... with your clothes on!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I for one, would think of a road trip from California to race on the famous tracks in the SE. I'd bring my CMC car, my son, grandson, and a bunch of film just to say I'd done it. As a NASA instructor that has run HPDE students on the Cal Speedway oval, it is not as easy as "foot down, turn left", believe me.

Pucker power, technique and a very good understanding of your car's limits and capabilities, as well as caution, are required!

Let's do it!

Maddog out

I think it would be very exciting to run some ovals, especially some the larger ones, 1 1/2 miles and larger. I know several people in my circle of friends who would jump at the chance to run on these tracks.

Be sure to keep us updated on the status of this plan. The sooner I can get the word out to people the more likely they will attend.

I like the fact that you are thinking of new things to get and keep people interested.

Keep up the good work

Dave Algozine - Ohio/Indiana

It is a blast to get out on an Oval track sometimes. When I interned at Lowes Motor Speedway it was fun to blast around the track in the pace car except when the passenger side tire rubs. I think and HPDE would be fun at an oval track. It won't teach you road racing but it would still be fun. And at Lowes you could probably get the in field road course opened up to drive on too.

• 5 months later...

I would like to do an oval with my car maybe once? Before I found out a car can turn both directions I spent a lot of time on ovals. Road courses are much more fun but an oval once in a while could be interesting?

The wall factor is a concern? Once you break traction you have nowhere to go but into the wall. That is if you're going fast enough? I'm not so sure I'd push my luck that far though?

• 2 weeks later...