AI #'d classes maybe?

darreng505

I'll tell ya all Will's secrets!I try to keep a close eye on him cause for one he's from Georgia,2 he drives camaros and doesn't have a mullet!

#1 He has special compartments that fill's with helium when the key is turned on and deflates when its off.

#2 Half his car is made from paper mache.(I leaned on it once and the front end about fell off.)

#3 Jenny Craig diet.(The kid doesn't weigh but 120,and that's soaking wet with rocks in his pockets.)

#4 Roll bars are made from aluminum.(He figures he's young enough he'll recover from any wreck.)

I could go on but I can't tell all his secrets.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• darreng505

• nape

• robbodleimages

• Grizlbits

K.I.S.S.

If it doesn't need to be there, get rid of it. If it does need to be there, make a new bracket out of a small piece of AL. Fancy stuff is heavy, circle track junk is light.

2853lb post race (3rd gen, 2-3 gals fuel, and 220lb driver) with a glass windshield/hatch and the only fiberglass is the hood.

Go over to http://www.frrax.com, post pictures, and we'll tell you where to gut some weight.

I'm the king of cheap and light! The beer can I call a mustang is proof of that!!! LOL!

I've found about 100 lbs I can get out of the car at some expense. Beyond that it's going to get expensive! Thinking Jerico instead of T-56 once it gives up the ghost. K-member and lower arms should generate a decent savings but at a high cost. Needs a new splitter arrangement that isn't built like a battleship and carbon is an option. Now that the mustang driveline swap is done, I can focus a little more on the Camaro again and get it lighter. Sadly the easy stuff has already been done!

Starting with shaved 6/32 I get about 10-11 heat cycles before they slow down (4 cycles on day 1, 2 or 3 cycles on day 2, 3 or 4 cycles on day 3), and they are dead after 14 (day 4). This is on a 3400# car.

Will, are you still speaking of a 4th gen at 3050# post race (WITH DRIVER?)? If so, do you have a write up somewhere that details what you have done to get the weight down that far? Trying to get our Camaro down from 3378# and it already has VFN doors and hood, lexan and such. Granted I'm 270# belted in but that is still 3100# empty. I'd be interested to see where you got rid of weight. I'm trying to apply the same principals to the Camaro that I applied to the mustang to get it to 3000# and it just isn't working for this TANK.

Thanks.

That's with me, a passenger seat/belts, and a cool suit cooler. Without my coolsuit, passenger seat/belts, and with my light wheels on the car it's about ~2940lbs post race. I weight 150.

Like TJ said, if it does not have to be there...take it out. If it does have to been there, drill some holes in it or replace it with something lighter. My car has the VFN hatch and rear lexan and a glass windshield. I just took every little bracket and tab off the thing if it did not need it. No core supports, and a tubular aluminum bumper. Most every aero part on the car is carbon with either a foam or balsa wood core. The splitter weighs somewhere around ~15lbs at this point (I keep adding stuff to it). Hood is 11 lbs, wing is ~8 lbs without uprights/endplates.

The T56 is a heavy trans too. There are much lighters alternatives. Same can be said for the clutch/flywheel. I run a 7.25" tripple quartermaster clutch, much lighter than the huge LS6 clutch/flywheel it used to have.

Just remember, if you can take 10% of weight off of every part, you wind up taking 10% of weight off the whole car.

TJ's car is way more impressive though. I thought I was getting mine light, then he went and took another 100 lbs. off his car. And his car is steel with an iron block SBC! (who needs an alternator anyway?)

Edited by Guest

I'll tell ya all Will's secrets!I try to keep a close eye on him cause for one he's from Georgia,2 he drives camaros and doesn't have a mullet!

#1 He has special compartments that fill's with helium when the key is turned on and deflates when its off.

#2 Half his car is made from paper mache.(I leaned on it once and the front end about fell off.)

#3 Jenny Craig diet.(The kid doesn't weigh but 120,and that's soaking wet with rocks in his pockets.)

#4 Roll bars are made from aluminum.(He figures he's young enough he'll recover from any wreck.)

Stop giving away all my secrets!!! Especially #3

Sadly the easy stuff has already been done!

Pretty much. After a certain point it all comes down to dollars or hours. Do I really want to spend $1000 to lose 10 lbs? Nope, better spend 100 hours instead. Time to chuck the grinder in the bench vise and start trimming unused threads...

#3 -- I'm pretty sure he'd die if he went on the Jenny Craig diet.

Clutch is already a light twin disc setup. Using jongbloed wheels that weigh a little over 14lbs. Radiator is stock so less water and less weight. Most of the core support is still there and that could all get redesigned. It has some big subframes but they saved the tub at Hallett from a hard hit in the passenger door. Aluminum nerf bars would be better! LOL! No front bumper...

The list is endless. Maybe someone hid uranium in the frame rails or something? Once the weather cools down sometime after September, I'll tear into the car and make a big dent in it's weight. It will at least keep me from having to buy stiffer springs and maybe revalve the shocks since it will be lighter on the nose! LOL!

Guess I will need to find out where Will might have the car next and sneak in with a camera!

Thanks!