SpecE30 TT Classing

Dizzle

My build is almost complete now that I had my cage installed and will be running TT this year en route to comp license. I was under the impression that a SpecE30 car would be classified as TTE because I've read some old threads stating that, and have seen several cars with SpecE30 and TTE decals. After reading the rules myself, I interpret them that a SpecE30 car would be TTD. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Depends on if you do every single little thing the SE30 rules allow you to, what weight you run at, etc. If I remember right, SE30 min weight is well below the listing for the car in the TT rules, so you could run heavier and save points that way. Also - With SE30 moving to the grippier Toyo RR, that tire costs more points and may put the car over the edge anyway.

Per the 2012 TT rules, if you built a car to the maximum legal limit of the 2012 SE30 rules, you would end up in TTC, where it would not be competitive.

This link is to a generic form that I prepared last year for any SE30 to participate in TT where the driver did not, could not, or would not fill out his/her own TT classification forms, but didn't want to run in TTR (now TTU). This form was reviewed and approved by the National Director, and we kept it on hand at the Championships in case an SE30 car wanted to run in TT (again, without the driver completing the forms on his/her own).

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B73wHMd-IvZIaURFbjI4aFFZOE0/edit?usp=sharing

I have not filled out a form for the 2013 rules, though.

Note that, if you have your eye on running the car in both TT and SE30, you should be reluctant to perform any SE30-legal modifications that are of negligible performance benefit but will have points implications in TT. Also, keep in mind that such a dual-purpose car will likely not be fully competitive in either group if you have seriously prepared cars in your region.

I would not rule out the possibility that some of the SE30s with TTE stickers may have been improperly classed.

Mark

I would not rule out the possibility that some of the SE30s with TTE stickers may have been improperly classed.

Good to know. Thanks!

Good info, especially the TT class sheet!

My goal isn't being competitive in TT, just getting timed laps before I go W2W next year. I just like to play fair.

Thanks

I didn't say anything about assuming guilty until proven innocent. I have spent enough time doing SE30 labor (and actually inspecting TT cars nationally and regionally…crazy, I know...regional inspections) that I know that a significant number of “typical” SE30-legal modifications need to be left on the table in order for the car to be TTE-legal.

Mark

it's not hard to build a TTE E30 though - not sure if guilty until proven innocent is the correct approach.

While I would normally agree, I tend to lean towards guilt only in this scenario if the driver is too lazy or unwilling to fill out a complete TT/PT sheet to prove legality.

My friend ran our Chump E30 in TTE at our last event. Though far from a Spec E30 build, it was fun to drive and he won the class (and some tires). The car was W/P reclassed in TTE** at 145rwhp and 2430lbs minimum competitive weight. We added a set of 205/50/15 Hoosier SM6 tires and everything else was stock.

My friend ran our Chump E30 in TTE at our last event. Though far from a Spec E30 build, it was fun to drive and he won the class (and some tires).

Note, though, that his winning time was 4 seconds off the existing TTE record.

Also note that the current SE30 record at Sebring (regardless of TT class) is nearly 5 seconds off the current TTE record, although that SE30 record might change a bit next weekend with the stickier tires for SE30 in 2013 and a better-prepped car (per its lap times at April's enduro in SE30-legal trim). IIRC, this particular car would be a TTC car by 1 point per the points method, and a mid-points TTD car per the dyno reclass method.

All I am saying is that, from what I have seen in this particular region, it will take a pretty focused effort for a dual-purpose TTE and SE30 car to be competitive in both classes.

Mark

All I am saying is that, from what I have seen in this particular region, it will take a pretty focused effort for a dual-purpose TTE and SE30 car to be competitive in both classes.

Mark

I'll road trip to Sebring and show them what a real TTE car is.

My max whp is 5 less and my minimum weight is 45lbs lighter and I run the same tires (SM6) BUT I have enough points for shocks/springs/sway bars/chassis brace (for rear sway bar)/gear swap/LSD.

I didn't say anything about assuming guilty until proven innocent. I have spent enough time doing SE30 labor (and actually inspecting TT cars nationally and regionally…crazy, I know...regional inspections) that I know that a significant number of “typical” SE30-legal modifications need to be left on the table in order for the car to be TTE-legal.

Mark

We have regional inspections every event. And I have E30 in TTC/TTD/TTE. Depends on the mod but for a Spec E30 they have it covered above.