Spring Rates & Dampening

darreng505

Hello racers,

I have a 2012 Boss 302 as a full time track car. Completely upgraded suspension. All adjustable.

I have the Ford Racing M-18000-C D-spec struts/shocks and the Eibach sportline springs which have a rate of 425 front, 275 rear.

I just bought a set of H&R Race Springs to try. 325 front, 385 rear. Sounds kind of low in the front, but was the stiffest available from H&R.

What can I expect from this new spring rate and rear bias?

I run 295/40/18 square Hoosier R6's. Front sway bar 35mm on full tight, rear 25mm bar on loosest setting.

Not sure where to start with the dampening settings (more even maybe). The D-specs are continuous so right now I am -2 turns front, -1 turn rear.

But I am constantly changing the dampening as the tires wear...

Your tips and knowledge most appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

I would suspect the car to severely oversteer and be tail happy everywhere. Typically a nose heavy car would require morefront spring than rear for balance. Ibet the original 425/275 springs to be close to balanced.

• 2 weeks later...

I won't throw a dart at the final result, but you need to remember that on the S197, the stock rear spring location is quite a ways inboard from the shock mount, and that introduces an "interesting" motion ratio into the rear equation. In straight bump, yes, the rear springs sound a tad on the high side compared to the front, but in roll, you factor in the motion ratio (IIRC 0.6848), the wheel rate winds up being quite a bit lower. For example, with the quoted 385 lb/in rear spring rate, the wheel rate winds up being roughly 180lbs/in. (motion ratio squared times spring rate)*(SIN(spring angle)) For simplicity's sake, I elected to just blow off the SIN term, since the spring is close enough to vertical not to have a major impact. IF, however, you convert to a true coil-over setup in the rear, then the SIN term does come into effect, as the damper (and thus the spring) is inclined, and is also at a much different mounting point.

FWIW, I'm running 350 in front, and 300 in the rear, and I feel undersprung pretty much all the way around, but particularly in the front.