dweymer

Moving to JAX

dweymer

Hey all, I am moving from NC to JAX in a couple weeks....any locals around there? I will be down in St. Johns. It would be great to start learning the racing resources in the area(dyno, welder, LKQ, etc)

TrackRat

Hi Donnie - Welcome to southern Georgia, well, FL I guess! Not able to help with any local shops, but I will certainly be able, and happy, to help with any GTS related stuff. Look forward to meeting you!

TurboShortBus

You may want to cross-post this in the Southeast forum as well, as you also aren't far from where those guys play.

Mark

mthomas
Hey all, I am moving from NC to JAX in a couple weeks....any locals around there? I will be down in St. Johns. It would be great to start learning the racing resources in the area(dyno, welder, LKQ, etc)

We're probably neighbors! I'm in Durbin. Like you, I moved down here about a year ago from VA. Best I've found there aren't a whole lot of resources. I would say PM me, but I don't think they have that on this forum. I'll be at Sebring in Oct... #30 e36 M3

phastafrican

Minimal resources here. But perfect location for attending both Southeast and Florida events. I'm in Fernandina Beach.

There's apparently a really good welder off Philips Highway who does work for a few pro teams. Still trying to get his contact from local guys. That's as far as I've gotten. The Jax solo group also have a few individuals who own smaller shops. Hoping to attend one of their events soon to find out who has what?

mthomas

Yeah the only thing I've been able to dig up is Riggins Engineering. I was actually looking for a corner balance and after calling around I was referred to them. He said he did them. $50/hr IIRC. He guestimated about 3 hrs, so $150 seemed fair in my book. We got to talking and he said he could do a bar and/or cage if I had a drawing.

You are right about location. I've been able to do RA, RR, and Sebring in the last 9mos as they are at most 5hrs away. Obviously Daytona is on the list.

Thoughts on FIRM? Seemed a little pricey in my book.

TurboShortBus
I would say PM me, but I don't think they have that on this forum.

Look down...in the bottom left of every post...you'll see one of these:

icon_contact_pm.gif

Emmanuel is the dude on the left.

Mark

getfast

That track hasn't been cleared by us for anything except (possibly) autocross usage

phastafrican
Yeah the only thing I've been able to dig up is Riggins Engineering. I was actually looking for a corner balance and after calling around I was referred to them. He said he did them. $50/hr IIRC. He guestimated about 3 hrs, so $150 seemed fair in my book. We got to talking and he said he could do a bar and/or cage if I had a drawing.

You are right about location. I've been able to do RA, RR, and Sebring in the last 9mos as they are at most 5hrs away. Obviously Daytona is on the list.

$150 is a decent price. Take it.

I'll PM you my contact info and we can chat next week.

mthomas
I would say PM me, but I don't think they have that on this forum.

Look down...in the bottom left of every post...you'll see one of these:

icon_contact_pm.gif

Emmanuel is the dude on the left.

Mark

Yeah, my bad. I don't think I was verified as real human yet. I see it now, so thanks mods.

getfast

I know you're a real human with two beautiful blue cars! I think the moderator-training-wheels are removed at 5 posts so you're very close...

mthomas

That track hasn't been cleared by us for anything except (possibly) autocross usage

Sorry Jon. Looks like I broke the speak of no other club rule again

getfast

Lol putting that aside, there are many great NASA events at many wonderful tracks within striking distance... why go anywhere else http://www.nasaproracing.com/event

UKRBMW

I just did a day at the Firm. It wasn't bad, however a lot different from a normal track event. Safety equipment very questionable. Level of driver experience is all over the place.

As a test day - it was fine and convenient. As a real track day - I'd get too pissed off.

mthomas
I just did a day at the Firm. It wasn't bad, however a lot different from a normal track event. Safety equipment very questionable. Level of driver experience is all over the place.

As a test day - it was fine and convenient. As a real track day - I'd get too pissed off.

Good to know. That's more along the lines of what I was looking for. RR has been my go-to to make sure things are well sorted before a weekend. Having an alternative that didn't involve hotels, pricey seat time, gas, etc would be nice.