Points for Hoosier 205

Mrsideways

About a year or so ago the points were upped for a specific size tires (hoosier 255 18) due to it being Wider than Normal..... Well what about the other way around? The Hoosier 205/40 17 R6 is Narrower then Normal... in fact on paper it's comparable if not smaller then most 195's from other manufactures. Could we not also make an exception for this tire to get it counted as points for a 195 or is this a one way street?

Examples.

BFG Rival 205 (15) = 7.8 inches wide

Dunlop Direzza DII 205 (15) = 7.5 inches wide

Dunlop Direzza DII 205 (16) = 7.5 inches wide

Dunlop Direzza DII 195 (15) = 7.1 inches wide (wider then 205 17 hoosier)

BFG G-Force R1 205 (15) = 8 inches wide

BFG G-Force R1 205 (16) = 8 inches wide

Hankook Ventus Z214 (15) = 7.6 inches wide

Hankook Ventus Z214 (16) = 7.7 inches wide

Toyo R888 205 (15) = 8 inches wide

Toyo R888 205 (16) = 7.9 inches wide

Toyo R888 205 (17) = 7.8 inches wide (only other competitive 205 R -comp in 17 inch)

Hoosier R6 205 (15) = 8 inches wide

Hoosier R6 205 (16) = 8 inches wide

Hoosier R6 205 (17) = 7 inches wide

All data collected from Tire rack website and a set of 205 17 R6's I ordered in that look like bicycle tires.

It's a Full Inch narrower then MOST other 205's on the market. And before someone says just put 16's on.... They don't fit over the brakes. Thoughts?

This was that slippery slope people were talking about when NASA decided to rule on that specific tire.

I like your thinking and your logic is sound. However, NASA logic hasn't been sound sometimes lol.

Therefore, your argument is invalid.

in before frog warts something something

- KB, not a fan of specific tires being excluded/included/adjusted for/whatever

Maybe it should be a 195 but since hoosier doesn't make a 1 anything they didn't have a 1 for the mold....

This was that slippery slope people were talking about when NASA decided to rule on that specific tire.

I like your thinking and your logic is sound. However, NASA logic hasn't been sound sometimes lol.

Therefore, your argument is invalid.

Hmm once the camels nose is under the tent its hard to go backwards. Besides the 255/18 Hoosier there is also the following example of tires being specifically penalized.

Note: Exception to 6.1.2:

1) The size 245 BFG R1 and R1S tires will be assessed a Modification Factor of +0.4 for tire

size (and not the listed +0. when calculating the “Adjusted Weight/Power Ratio”.

2) The size 275 BFG R1 and R1S tires will not be assessed a Modification Factor for tire size

(i.e. not the listed +0.4) when calculating the “Adjusted Weight/Power Ratio”.

As much as I hate to say it Ian does have a valid point.

Peter

Greg doesn't always participate in the forums, so no matter how valid the point, it might be falling on deaf ears.

In other words, it might be best to contact Greg directly on this one instead of relying on unofficial internet speculation.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind tread section width is dependent on what size wheel the tire is mounted on. I can almost guarantee that those measurements were not taken on the same width wheel. Because of this, it would be really hard to enforce.

Maybe if enough people had concerns something could be done, but otherwise it's just a can of worms.

Keep in mind tread section width is dependent on what size wheel the tire is mounted on. I can almost guarantee that those measurements were not taken on the same width wheel. Because of this, it would be really hard to enforce.

Same thing could be said about the 255 and look what NASA did to that tire.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a pair of those tires to put on the back of my Elise a while back thinking it must be a misprint. They were more like 185's on my 7.5" wide wheels. I had to run heat cycled out Yoko A048 195's in front to keep the car from swapping ends all the time.