TT car limit?

fox4life

I tried searching on this topic but I couldn't find an answer, although it is possible I just overlooked it.

Is there a limit on the number of cars that are allowed out on track per session? I was just curious because I glanced at the GL July Mid Ohio registration page and saw there were almost 50 people registered to compete in TT already. I was just wondering what to expect, or if there are changes made in cases of a large group.

50-60 cars on track at once? Sounds fun!

NASA AZ typically will split into 2 groups when reg numbers go over 30-ish and will cap each split group at 25-35 (depending on size of track).

Depends on track length, availible time in the schedule, etc. Sounds like it could be close to time for 2 TT groups for that event though.

Here in Norcal, we usually have 35-45 TTers and then sometimes they put us w/ HPDE 4. 70-75 cars on track.

Not real safe. The cars at the front of TT are lucky to get one lap before catching backmarkers. Its all about the money.

I just counted the same. The last two years they have split the groups into two at the July and August Mid Ohio's because the counts were over 50-55. I always thought it was because Nationals was there the last two years, but clearly we are up to 50 again. I recall running in one group that was around 50 at one time I think. That is just a bit too much for me on a 2.25 mile track. It can get really difficult to turn good laps.

I don't think I have ran with you before. Looking forward to meeting you.

I just counted the same. The last two years they have split the groups into two at the July and August Mid Ohio's because the counts were over 50-55. I always thought it was because Nationals was there the last two years, but clearly we are up to 50 again. I recall running in one group that was around 50 at one time I think. That is just a bit too much for me on a 2.25 mile track. It can get really difficult to turn good laps.

I'm glad to see the car count staying high, good news! But like you said, I think with 50 cars on track at once it could be very difficult to get a good lap in, so hopefully something will be done.

My first event in TT was at Gingerman last month, looking forward to meeting you as well!

I recall running in one group that was around 50 at one time I think. That is just a bit too much for me on a 2.25 mile track. It can get really difficult to turn good laps.

But, at the same time, everybody on track has that same problem, so it's not like only a few are affected. It's like rain.

Overall, this is likely a better question for your regional TT director and/or registrar.

Mark

I'm glad to see the car count staying high, good news! But like you said, I think with 50 cars on track at once it could be very difficult to get a good lap in, so hopefully something will be done.

My first event in TT was at Gingerman last month, looking forward to meeting you as well!

I heard you did pretty well too. Good job! Got me a little worried, but I am always down for some good competition.

Have you ever been to Mid Ohio?

I think I was the one that did your check-off ride... Welcome to the fray!!

Also, am I the only one that looked at the screen-name and the sig and found something ironic?

For the most part yes. Except for the guy in front for the first lap or two. =)

If cars are gridded in time order and you keep them tight before the green flies, then it shouldn't be an issue for anybody for the first lap or two.

Mark

Overall, this is likely a better question for your regional TT director and/or registrar.

Mark

Ok, thank you. Thats somewhat why I asked the question, just wasn't sure who to ask about that.

I heard you did pretty well too. Good job! Got me a little worried, but I am always down for some good competition.

Have you ever been to Mid Ohio?

Not too bad, it was fun so I can't complain. Me competition? Nah....

My first and only time at mid ohio was running in hpde earlier this year.

I think I was the one that did your check-off ride... Welcome to the fray!!

Also, am I the only one that looked at the screen-name and the sig and found something ironic?

Yes, I believe you were! Thanks again!

I'm confused about the screen name and sig part though.

I'm confused about the screen name and sig part though.

In the Mustang world, the Fox chassis was the 1978-1993 generation... Fox4Life, yet your sig points towards a Scoobie... Just found it humorous, that's all. Again, welcome!

If cars are gridded in time order and you keep them tight before the green flies, then it shouldn't be an issue for anybody for the first lap or two.

Exactly. EASILY 2 clean laps for all.

In the Mustang world, the Fox chassis was the 1978-1993 generation... Fox4Life, yet your sig points towards a Scoobie... Just found it humorous, that's all. Again, welcome!

Never made that connection, but I get it now. Signature fixed, should make more sense.

I agree with you, if griding and the warmup lap are done correctly then you shouldn't have an issue getting a couple good laps in. But if the schedule would allow it I would prefer split groups, but I'm the new guy anyways, what does my opinion matter?

IF everyone's tires come in on the same schedule

IF everyone's cars make speed in compatible ways

IF..

IF...

I haven't seen a better system yet, but..

LOL Exactly.

My issue is that there are a couple higher HP TT3/TT2 and sometimes TT1 cars that are running around the same time as me, so we are gridded next to each other. At Mid Ohio, the first half is nothing but straight away so they blow by you (which they shouldn't) and then hold you up in the corners in the 2nd half of the track and your sessions is immediately ruined. Some of them understand this and stay behind you because they realize they're behind you because overall they are slower so maybe they should stay back until we complete a lap or so. Unfortunately not everyone is like that though. I normally speak with them on grid and ask them to keep a good gap so they are not passing me on the straight away on the first lap. I've had this happen time and time again and it can ruin your weekend.

When I was at Road Atlanta in December;I like a rule they enforce and that is no one is allowed to pass on the first lap unless it is communicated (point by). That worked great because the above mentioned did not happen.

LOL Exactly.

When I was at Road Atlanta in December;I like a rule they enforce and that is no one is allowed to pass on the first lap unless it is communicated (point by). That worked great because the above mentioned did not happen.

Yup, that's a rule that Greg implements at Nationals, too. It works quite well. I think it should be a rule for all regional events also!

We use this in the RM region as well, works well.

It's not a rule but we basically say in the morning drivers meeting "Don't be a fool, stay in school."

Or something like that.

LOL Exactly.

Yup, that's a rule that Greg implements at Nationals, too. It works quite well. I think it should be a rule for all regional events also!

We use it since it is the national rule and it trains drivers for nationals. TT falls under HPDE car count rules so there is a max on track for all tracks.