Are supports required for lexan windshields? In CCR?

Cobra4B

I'm putting a 1/4" lexan windshield in the Panoz. It's thick and doesn't appear to need any additional support. Are supports required in the CCR? I searched in twice and didn't find anything. I only see a recommendation to use windshield clips and that they're mandatory on sunroofs.

Thanks,

Brian

999029_10200978917386388_1609038018_n.jpg

988651_10200978917506391_730919030_n.jpg

look at the class rules that you are going to run in is your best bet since the ccr dose not say anything about adding a support. Like in the AI rules they added that it needs to have a brace for the lexan windows

If there is nothing in the CCR or in your class rules, then you should let common sense prevail.

I'm not sure if I would trust a sheet of Lexan, attached to fiberglass with a bunch of little screws in a home garage, protect me from a loose 50 pound object at speed. Then again, open cockpit cars are perfectly legal, with nothing between you and debris.

A center cage tube would probably go a long way to protecting that opening, but you're pretty far down the road on your powder coated rebuild for that.

Mark

Mark - I'm using 1/4... it's really strong and has almost zero flex. It's held to the body with 7 mount tabs so it can float relative to the body flex. Way too far down the road to add an additional cage bar. Don't see the need to do that.

Morris - How thick is your lexan? My research keeps saying no added support is needed for the 1/4" stuff.

I finished the install tonight. It barely flexes when I push on it hard. The center top mount bolts to the cage. The bottom is supported by the cowl support panel bolted to the chassis.

1009788_10200985035899347_1026276820_n.jpg

1010826_10200985035139328_1292133592_n.jpg

a piece of debris is going to push harder than you can

I also imagine as strong as you are that it's going to pale in comparison to the wind load at 130-140-150-170 whatever that thing will do.

We'll see this weekend at VIR. If it moves too much Ill brace it. My dad purchased it like five years ago. Chatting about it last night he mentioned he went with the 1/4" one because they told him there would be no need for braces... This was coming from Five Star's tech folks. Being 1/4" and pre-formed makes it far more rigid than a plain flat piece bent to fit.

If the windshield is made of the same material and thickness as supplied by Panoz, and it's attached in the same manner that it was by Panoz, and the CCR or other rules don't require a center support, then let it eat. Again, additional driver debris protection is your option.

Mark

The school cars came from Panoz with glass mustang windshields. They crack all the time. Not sure about the GTS race cars.

Zero issues this weekend up to probably 140 on the straight (no speedo or data acq.). On the high end it'd move a little, but nothing to worry about.