BTM Clarification

Joshua

I'm helping a friend configure a car classification sheet for his car, a 2003 Mazda Miata, and need clarification about assessing his braking system. I am aware that all modifications that are not covered in section I (no-points modifications) or that are not BTM have points associated with them. However, it is not clear to me how to apply the concept of BTM to different model years listed on a single line in section 6.3.2 (Base Classification Table).

His car is listed as a Mazda Miata 1.8L ('99-'05) in TTE with a minimum competitive weight of 2,400 lbs. The base model of the Miata in '03-'05 came with larger rotors and different calipers than those on the base model in '99-'02. The brakes on his car were the only ones available in his model year and later ('03-'05), but they were an option on earlier model years ('99-'02). Does he need to take points under F.1 (+2) for the brakes since the rotors are larger and the caliper is relocated compared to BTM in earlier model years?

I assume you've also emailed Greg.

I'd like to know what the response is because that's an interesting one I've never come across before.

Shouldn't that fall under the topic of being able to change base model parts from year to year as long as you stay within the same generation? When C5Z06s were in TTA, we could run the commemorative edition lightweight hood and 04 shocks on any year C5Z06s without penalty.

Shouldn't that fall under the topic of being able to change base model parts from year to year as long as you stay within the same generation? When C5Z06s were in TTA, we could run the commemorative edition lightweight hood and 04 shocks on any year C5Z06s without penalty.

This. Especially since there were no other brake options for that year Miata.

I'd like to know what the response is because that's an interesting one I've never come across before.

Not yet.

I didn't want to bug him if there was a simple answer that I somehow overlooked.

Not yet.

I didn't want to bug him if there was a simple answer that I somehow overlooked.

Note that Greg's answer trumps all others.

Mark

And carry a laminated printout of his email everywhere you go.

Agreed. Get a surplus ammo case, bolt that sucker inside the car, and keep your classification forms, reclass e-mails, approval e-mails, logbook, etc. in it.

Mark

I heard back from Greg, and he confirmed that my friend does not need to take points for the brakes on his 2003 Miata since it has the brakes that were on the BTM for that year.

So with the listing being "Mazda Miata 1.8L ('99-'05) TTE 2400" does that then mean the 99-01s can use the same brakes without the +2 and/or that the 99-05 listing should be split?

So with the listing being "Mazda Miata 1.8L ('99-'05) TTE 2400" does that then mean the 99-01s can use the same brakes without the +2 and/or that the 99-05 listing should be split?

Exactly my thinking.