Roll Cage Clarification

slvrstreak

I am having a roll cage built for my RX-8 to run in TTA/TT3

Here's my question...the rules state a certain number of mounting points to the chassis before adding penalty points. Does this include tack welding the cage to the chassis?

The car is stripped and the cage runs right along the A-pillar and top of the car so tack welding would be easy and make the car that much safer and more structurally sound.

Also don't you max out after a certain amount of points anyway? So why not just go ahead and do it big? And if you are running in TTA why would the penalty points matter anyway? Another issue is that all welds have to be 360 degrees or is this only at the termination points?

I know this setup is acceptable in Grand AM racing as I am following the design/recommendation from a Grand AM RX-8 cage builder.

Just hoping for some clarification on this before I continue.

Looking forward to posting my build up and conversing with you guys soon...thanks everyone

well if that's the case I could go ahead and extend the cage to the nose of the car if I wanted...correct?

my original thought was to go from the very front of the nose to the back bumper to tie the whole car together but, I assumed that would be an illegal cage for NASA

From TT Rules:

H. ROLL CAGES:

4-point roll bar and 6-point (two main hoop, two rear brace, two forward hoop) roll cage designs

constructed per the NASA CCR may be utilized without a TT modification point assessment.

Two additional attachment points for either two foot-well bars or two bars to the front firewall

(one on each side) may be added without a TT modification point assessment. Additional bars

and/or gusseting within the structure of the cage are permitted without a TT modification point

assessment. Gusseting of the 6 (CCR) attachment points listed above is permitted without a TT

modification point assessment provided that the gussets are attached to the tube no further than

six (6) inches from the end of the tube, and to the chassis no further than six (6) inches from the

end of the tube where it terminates at the plate. Up to three additional attachment points solely

for the purpose of bars connecting “NASCAR” style driver-side door bars to the rocker panel are

permitted without a TT modification point assessment. Additional attachment points within the

driver’s compartment that exceed these allowances are also permitted, but will be assessed points

as follows:

1) One or more bars that penetrate the front bulkhead/firewall +2

2) Any other attachment point to the chassis +2

(Note: It is considered a safety hazard to cut through bars without removing them in order to

avoid the modification point assessments above.)

SO...I would say as long as it follows CC&R guidelines for a cage you're a-ok.

I sometimes find it easier / cleaner to look up stuff from the ST rules when figuring out stuff for TTU,1,2,3.

If you build a legal ST3 car, it'll also fit TT3.

From the section that discusses ST1,2,3:

7.2 NASA CCR Section 15 and 18 Exceptions

All of the rules listed in the NASA CCR Sections 15 and 18 will apply, except, the following

rules will supersede those in the CCR:

CCR 15.6—Roll cages may be built to provide an unlimited amount of chassis stiffening.

Any number of cage mounting points may be used above the six (6) minimum

requirement, and, any number of additional tubes may be used above the minimum with

additional attachment points to the body, including tubes that penetrate the firewall.CCR 15.8—An electrical master cut-off switch is required.

CCR 15.9—Steering wheel lock removal is highly recommended, but not required.

CCR 15.16—An approved suitable racing seat is required.

CCR 18.6—Engine modifications and motor swaps are unlimited.

The section quoted above in Iliketodrive's post from the TT/PT rules from the TTB-F area does also point towards letting you do a pretty wild cage, but, it also mentions that you may be subject to a points assessment which would of course be appropriate for TT/PT B-F. There isn't one that relates to cages for ST/TT 1,2,3.

exactly what I was looking for

and you're right those rules are easier to follow...also addressed a lexan window question I had

thank you sir!