bolt in vs wrap around harness efficacy and durability

karmasabish

I recently picked up a set of G Force cam lock 6 points that are out of date but brand new in box. They are for use in my HPDE car. I thought they were wrap around style, but when I brought them home to find they are indeed bolt ins. (duh)

I was always under the impression that wrap arounds are safer than bolt ins, just less things to fail during an impact. Tabs, welds and bolts can all break - I guess what I'm asking here is how many of you all run bolt ins and how many trust these things to hold up to impacts? Obviously they exist for a reason but do they fail? should I go pick up a set of wrap arounds??

would love input from instructors and seasoned dudes who know about this stuff from experience.

Well, unless you've crashed with both you're not going to know if there's a difference.

The key is in the attachment; you need to make sure the bolt-in end is anchored in such a way it can't come loose or tear the metal where it's mounted. Back it up with suitable plate or a very large washer to spread out any forces. You're talking about the shoulder portion, right? The lap and anti-sub belts bolt in, and there's nothing wrong with those being attached in that fashion.

I think the preference for the wrap around style is more an ease of installation than any superiority in safety, but I don't work for the SFI Foundation, so I could be wrong.

Exactly. As long as you are smart about where and what you bolt them to, you will be fine. Just pay attention to the angle of the belts to your shoulders and a hefty anchor point.

On a side note, while I haven't seen yours, all of the G Force belts I have had come with the "bolt on" tabs already on the belt. I remove those to wrap over the harness bar.

Are you sure the bolt-in part can't simply be unwrapped and removed, making the belts wrap-arounds? Unless the bolt-in ends are sewn into the webbing they should be removable, and if you have a proper bar to wrap them to, wrapping is preferred IMO.

I looked again and depending on where the harness bar goes, it should actually fit as a wrap around. Thanks everyone for the replies