Mid-Atlantic Region: Anyone running H4 in 2014?

hufflepuff

I have been looking through prior year NASA-MA results, and 2011 had no H4 entries, and 2012 had just two H4 entries. I'm new to road racing and would like to get started in a slower, less expensive class, but i'd also like some competition. Anyone out there thinking about H4 in 2014?

I'm planning on prepping my 1992 Acura Integra RS track car over the fall and winter.

We are considering it. We have a 1986 Integra we just purchased, and its a previous H4 car. One of our team members also has a couple vintage CRX's that would be good for H4. So its something we are discussing.

• 3 weeks later...

Figure out what PT class your car falls into and if close, set it up to run PTE, there are always cars running in MA region in that class and H4 cars typically can squeeze in there with a few mods.

I have been looking through prior year NASA-MA results, and 2011 had no H4 entries, and 2012 had just two H4 entries. I'm new to road racing and would like to get started in a slower, less expensive class, but i'd also like some competition. Anyone out there thinking about H4 in 2014?

I'm planning on prepping my 1992 Acura Integra RS track car over the fall and winter.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, i see that PTE has been pretty competitive and populated this season. With a few more changes i fit very well into PTE. I look forward to trying it out next season!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
If you can prep the car for H4 and squeeze into PTE with a different wheel/tire package, do that.

You probably could but the biggest issue with having an H4 car would be the power. PTE allows a 16.5:1 whereas that could be somewhat difficult to achieve in H4 trim.

If you can prep the car for H4 and squeeze into PTE with a different wheel/tire package, do that.

You probably could but the biggest issue with having an H4 car would be the power. PTE allows a 16.5:1 whereas that could be somewhat difficult to achieve in H4 trim.

Ya. A true H4 car is going to be nearly impossible to get to 16.5:1 (even 17:1) BUT if you build the car to run with ballast to meet H4 minimum weight and ditch the ballast for PTE (along with a wheel/tire swap), that would be feasible.

Uhm, my calculated "Power/Weight" ratio is 21.0...

2450 weight with 125 whp = 19.6

+1.0 FWD

+0.8+0.4 205-width DOT tires

-0.8 for 2450 weight

So this doesn't sound competitive in TTE/PTE?

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread. If tempo pick ups for HC4 in the mid atlantic area I would have no problem jumping in to play. I'll be selling the Trans Am and will be looking for a less expensive place to play.

Uhm, my calculated "Power/Weight" ratio is 21.0...

2450 weight with 125 whp = 19.6

+1.0 FWD

+0.8+0.4 205-width DOT tires

-0.8 for 2450 weight

So this doesn't sound competitive in TTE/PTE?

I was 2385/140=17.03 with 19 total points and +10 205 tires. I was the quickest/fastest TTE/PTE car in AZ on pretty much every weekend.

first off you calculated that in a pretty jacked up way, 2nd off raw hp/weights or even adjusted hp/weights aren't what drives PT classing or PT competitiveness, good cars that can turn and stop won't be near the caps. Start with a car, use your points wisely, and you'll be ok

Try this instead:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/racing/series/NASA_PT_Class_Calculator_2014_v1.xlsx

simplifies it

From what I hear it wouldn't be hard to build a PTE car that also had HC legal stuff - Sam Myers is who I'd call

• 1 month later...

I've got access to an H4 car and am more than happy to show y'all the way around Summit Point

I have zero interest in PTE with the car however. F at best... but the car gets hosed by the PT points structure/classing. THAT however is whole nother subject.