Spec Z weights

arawski

• Members

I would love to see the weights dropped across the board. I am going to have to ballast my 03, and I imagine people will have to ballast the newer cars as well. Allowing simple things like removing factory impact beams in the doors, removing ugly, annoying to fab around, heavy, metal that used to mount speakers and storage areas would allow cars to be even lighter. These mods are not expensive at all, so you can't argue cost savings. It is very cheap to take a cut off wheel to your car.

Lighter cars are faster, use less consumables, and easier to drive. Faster does matter even for a spec class. A lot of people choose what series they want to race in based about how much fun/fast the cars are. Dropping some weight will help with that.

I think its unfortunate that the weights were raised so early before good data was gathered to justify it.

I feel that the cars are a tad bit heavy, I did some research and there are a couple of vipers that race in my region and their minimum weight is somewhere around 3000 pounds and they have about 500+ hp. Now i have a 2008 Z so i have to be at 3400 and i have half the horse power. Now i understand that they want to keep the racing close but wouldn't you think it would be a good idea to lower the weights, so the cars wouldn't eat up the brakes and tires every 1-2 races? Regardless i am having a blast but changing brake pads every race is getting kind of old.

I would love to see the weights dropped across the board. I am going to have to ballast my 03, and I imagine people will have to ballast the newer cars as well. Allowing simple things like removing factory impact beams in the doors, removing ugly, annoying to fab around, heavy, metal that used to mount speakers and storage areas would allow cars to be even lighter. These mods are not expensive at all, so you can't argue cost savings. It is very cheap to take a cut off wheel to your car.

Lighter cars are faster, use less consumables, and easier to drive. Faster does matter even for a spec class. A lot of people choose what series they want to race in based about how much fun/fast the cars are. Dropping some weight will help with that.

I think its unfortunate that the weights were raised so early before good data was gathered to justify it.

I agree. 3100# end-of-race for the DEs - to me - was a good weight if not a touch heavy. It seems silly to have to keep all the extra speaker material; these ARE race cars.

I agree with the reducing the weight as long as we can cut out the unnecessary metal like you guys mentioned. The biggest upside to this IMO would be to attract other Z racers who's cars are too modified for spec z because they have already removed the extraneous metal. I also run my car in T3 (@3350#, ugh!) and several of the guys in other classes have mentioned this.

• 3 months later...

Which model do you have?

Can you list recorded weights?

With a full tank + 165 lb driver + 25 lb ballast I can make weight. It would be easy to to remove a couple hundred pounds from the car though.